• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Bill Moos the biggest Husker hire ever?

I think we can revisit in 2029-ish and make a ruling.

Right now he looks like the best AD hire in a long time. As you'd mentioned, NU has made two universally accepted great hires and looks to be on the right track. Hoiberg hasn't coached a game yet and Frost has a losing record, so I think it's too early to say Moos is the 'GOAT' or the 'TAINT' or whatever acronym someone who used to be on here more often would use. I like his hiring and what he's done so far, but let's ease up on the throttle a tad.

Am I Mr Wet Blanket or what?

Thought of you more as a Mrs... you know with crab and all in your name;):Biggrin:

I think we can revisit in 2029-ish and make a ruling.

Right now he looks like the best AD hire in a long time. As you'd mentioned, NU has made two universally accepted great hires and looks to be on the right track. Hoiberg hasn't coached a game yet and Frost has a losing record, so I think it's too early to say Moos is the 'GOAT' or the 'TAINT' or whatever acronym someone who used to be on here more often would use. I like his hiring and what he's done so far, but let's ease up on the throttle a tad.

Am I Mr Wet Blanket or what?

No you aren't a wet blanket. I get the point the OP is making because Moos has hired 2 coaches who were highly regarded, yet Hoiberg hasn't coached a game and Frost had a less than decent first year. I'm as optimistic about both as anyone, but that's just the reality RIGHT NOW. Who knows who we might land as Baseball coach. I think in 5-7 years we'll know exactly if Moos was the best man hired.

Had the moxey to hire TO, Francis Allen, Terry Pettit, Danny Nee and John Sanders. All without holding a blank check in hand from the University brass.

I agree with others that it was a very different time in college athletics when BD was at the helm, so its hard to compare. But BD was responsible for hiring some studs. 12 NC's (3 FB, 8 gymnastics, 1 VB) and 33 conference championships (if I'm counting correctly). That's a tough pedigree to beat.

Last edited:
Whether they are successful or not isn't really part of the hiring process. Everyone should be able to believe that he has done what he can control and that is hire the right people on paper and give them the money and resources. I think that can be called an A+.

Whether they are successful or not isn't really part of the hiring process. Everyone should be able to believe that he has done what he can control and that is hire the right people on paper and give them the money and resources. I think that can be called an A+.
Might not be part of the hiring process but it's certainly a part of any AD's legacy....

And this is more in line with my original thought.

This isn't a discussion about how successful individual teams will be. It's about an AD who's had some of the biggest overhauling of NU Athletics probably in my lifetime.

Think of it like Trump getting multiple SCOTUS appointments. And let's not turn this political, please. It's just a similar idea to how Trump has gotten 2 SCOTUS picks already, and maybe will get a 3rd or 4th. Means he'll have some of the most lasting affect on the Supreme Court since Nixon, I believe.

It's the same kind of thing here. Moos has already had more control/impact/affect on NU Athletics than any recent AD I can think of.

Everyone is getting hung up on the title being "most important" hire, which does not necessarily mean "best" hire. It could mean that, but we don't know yet. More like important = impactful. Green and Bounds certainly put the fate of NU Athletics into the hands of their Eichorst replacement.

Last edited:
In terms of impact to Husker athletics, maybe? In about an 18-month span, Moos will have been responsible for hiring a new head football coach, a new head basketball coach, and a new head baseball coach.

When was the last time somebody had that much impact over the whole of Husker Athletics? Seems like the only other big money maker he hasn't had to mess with is women's volleyball.

If he lands a home run hire (pun intended), he'll have been responsible for putting our 3 biggest men's sports back on track. Obviously the jury is still out on Hoiberg, but I think most everybody is in agreement on Frost.

I think Hoiberg is more of a homerun hire than Frost, but the jury is still out on both.

Last edited:

I liked Steve Pederson. :Eek: ;)

Yes, jury is still out on both. But IMO, Frost is more of a homerun hire than Hoiberg ...... ISU good, Chicago Bulls, bad.

First, the Bulls are not even a part of the equation. Pro sports are not the equivalent of college sports. Here are a few coaches that failed in the pros: Rick Pitinio, John Calipari, Nick Saban. Geez, I sure how no college would hire those losers (okay, Pitino is slime). Point being: I'm willing to bet you I can come up with a longer list of coaches who failed at one level and succeed at another than you can come up with a list of coaches who were successes at both levels. But even more importantly, the NBA is completely driven by talent -- more than any other sport at any other level. You have one superstar, you're in the playoffs. Two superstars, you're competing for championships. That's the NBA. There is not a coach out there capable of coaching the Chicago Bulls to anything but a losing record. After Hoiberg was fired early last season, the Bulls went 17-41 with their current head coach.

Now, let's talk college success -- as that's really the only way Frost and Hoiberg can be compared. And even then, there's reasonable debates to be had. Regardless, they'll each get to prove themselves -- and we'll all be winners if they are both winners.

I believe Hoiberg proved more coaching college athletes than did Frost. It should be clear, George O'Leary was the Bob Devaney of UCF Football. There's a reason why there's a statue of O'Leary erected outside UCF's stadium. Scott Frost did not inherit a dumpster fire. Yes, we all know UCF went winless in 2016, but that was with O'Leary and the AD both quitting midseason. Leadership bailed and the team bailed. But 2012, 2013, 2014 -- UCF was a combined 31-9, that included a 12-win season, a win in the Fiesta Bowl, and a top ten finish. Frost inherited a program that O'Leary had spent ten years building. Frost was fantastic in his second season -- but he could never be O'Leary's Osborne -- as he left after only two seasons.

At Iowa State, Hoiberg inherited a team that had wallowed in the bottom half of the Big 12 standings for 8 of the 9 prior seasons, no rankings in the polls any of those seasons, no NCAA Tournament for five years before he was hired (and 8 of the prior 9). Yes, ISU had some very fine years in the past -- but they were a long ways removed from them. Iowa State hoops was at their lowest since before Johnny Orr was hired in 1980. Hoiberg turned a program that had been mediocre or worse into a Big 12 power in short order. The Cyclones finished in the top four in the Big 12 in Hoiberg's final four seasons in Ames. Even when there were only 8 teams in the Big 8, ISU never accomplished that. Four straight NCAA Tournament appearances -- Hoiberg is the only ISU coach to accomplish that. Highest winning percentage in ISU history. And simply, Hoiberg did this over five years, following a lengthy period of mediocrity at ISU. There was no coming in on the heels of the best coach in the program's history, as Frost did with O'Leary -- and then leaving after two seasons. Let's remember, thus far Frost has two losing seasons and one winning season as a head coach. Obviously, I'm sure he'll vastly improve -- but Frost's experience is much more limited than Hoiberg's -- and it's really based highly on one incredible season rather than a longer track record of success as a head coach.

Anyhow, there's no one I would rather have coaching either football or basketball than Frost and Hoiberg. We are a fortunate fan base. But I just think Hoiberg came to Lincoln with a better pedigree as a college head coach. And I think there's a very real chance Hoiberg could become the best coach in the program's history. I think Frost has a zero percent chance of being the best coach in the football program's history. No one will ever touch Osborne. I kinda doubt anyone will touch Devaney either. I'd like to see Frost be the best coach since Osborne retired -- and I hope that's good enough to please the Husker fan base -- because if they expect another Osborne, the odds are high they will be disappointed.

Last edited:

In terms of impact to Husker athletics, maybe? In about an 18-month span, Moos will have been responsible for hiring a new head football coach, a new head basketball coach, and a new head baseball coach.

When was the last time somebody had that much impact over the whole of Husker Athletics? Seems like the only other big money maker he hasn't had to mess with is women's volleyball.

If he lands a home run hire (pun intended), he'll have been responsible for putting our 3 biggest men's sports back on track. Obviously the jury is still out on Hoiberg, but I think most everybody is in agreement on Frost.

He'd drink that!

I'm bummed that Erstad resigned. I don't think he gets enough credit for the job he did at NU. That said, I'm glad he resigned under Moos and not Eichorst. I have more confidence that a successful replacement will be found now as opposed to a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back