• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Bill Moos the biggest Husker hire ever?

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
In terms of impact to Husker athletics, maybe? In about an 18-month span, Moos will have been responsible for hiring a new head football coach, a new head basketball coach, and a new head baseball coach.

When was the last time somebody had that much impact over the whole of Husker Athletics? Seems like the only other big money maker he hasn't had to mess with is women's volleyball.

If he lands a home run hire (pun intended), he'll have been responsible for putting our 3 biggest men's sports back on track. Obviously the jury is still out on Hoiberg, but I think most everybody is in agreement on Frost.

Last edited:
In terms of impact to Husker athletics, maybe? In about an 18-month span, Moos will have been responsible for hiring a new head football coach, a new head basketball coach, and a new head baseball coach.

When was the last time somebody had that much impact over the whole of Husker Athletics? Seems like the only other big money maker he hasn't had to mess with is women's volleyball.

If he lands a home run hire (pun intended), he'll have been responsible for putting our 3 biggest men's sports back on track. Obviously the jury is still out on Hoiberg, but I think most everybody is in agreement on Frost.

I think we can revisit in 2029-ish and make a ruling.

Right now he looks like the best AD hire in a long time. As you'd mentioned, NU has made two universally accepted great hires and looks to be on the right track. Hoiberg hasn't coached a game yet and Frost has a losing record, so I think it's too early to say Moos is the 'GOAT' or the 'TAINT' or whatever acronym someone who used to be on here more often would use. I like his hiring and what he's done so far, but let's ease up on the throttle a tad.

Am I Mr Wet Blanket or what?

Regardless of how we personally feel only time will tell how great Frost and Hoiberg will eventually turn out as our head coaches. I firmly believe both hires were beyond excellent but that remains to be seen over the next 5 to 10 years imo. Should Frost start winning the BIG CC and Hoiberg has Nebraska consistently in the NCAA tournaments only then we can start considering Moos as one of the best AD's ever at DONU.

As for Moos finding our new baseball coach I have confidence he'll make an excellent choice at least on paper. It's way to early to make any judgements about these until enough time as passed. All the talk in the world means absolutely nothing unless our new HC's can deliver winning programs.

Right now he looks like the best AD hire in a long time. As you'd mentioned, NU has made two universally accepted great hires and looks to be on the right track. Hoiberg hasn't coached a game yet and Frost has a losing record, so I think it's too early to say Moos is the 'GOAT' or the 'TAINT' or whatever acronym someone who used to be on here more often would use. I like his hiring and what he's done so far, but let's ease up on the throttle a tad.

Good lord , why don't you kick my dog while you're at it?

No.
bob_devaney_1.jpg

Moos is the 1st AD we’ve really ever had who realizes you have to pay big $$ to get big name coaches. If the results warrant the money....only time will tell

Yeah he sucked......Said no one ever. He did a great job in his era, he just might have stayed a little too long

I didn't say he sucked, but he was a much better football coach than he was an AD. Same can be said of TO. Bob did a better job picking his successor, so he wins that head to head.

Yeah, the argument here isn't whether Bill Moos is the greatest AD we've ever had. In terms of "greatest" you can measure that a lot of ways. Devaney was a hit with the boosters and fans, for sure, and you can argue the same for Osborne in that regard.

But like I said in the original post, Moos has directly influenced all of NU's big moneymaker sports, with the exception of volleyball. In about a year and a half. I like Moos and think he's done a good job, but when you clean THAT much house, you're either inviting another Renaissance or Dark Ages.

So far, Hoiberg and Frost look like fantastic choices, and especially Frost since every other football team wanted him. Whether he becomes a legend or a frog is a bit immaterial in that sense - Moos hired the best possible football coach he could have, money be damned. I'm not sure about Hoiberg yet, but his pedigree seems to be high.

It's exciting to think that we may start to see NU sports becoming more and more competitive. Football yes, of course. But hoops and baseball, too, especially with the influx of B1G money to the school. Moos definitely understands the adage that you have to spend money to make money. Here's hoping that in a couple years, we're equally competing with the top dogs in the conference for titles in multiple sports.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back