• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Is 2013 the Year Huskers Return to Glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows. It will be fun. Well, at least I'll enjoy it. I know some guys just had miserable falls for like 20 years in-between national championships. It was way more fun watching the slow buildup to, the close calls, the few down years. TO actually won it and it was kind of a let down. Awesome, but heck the process of the whole 20 years is what made it fun. Still a few guys around who feel entitled to immediate championships. This is gonna take a while to dig out of callahans mess.there was no system, no process, and unbalanced recruiting prior to pelini. Be patient.

On paper one could see the possibility for some great football. 2013 sees an offense led by a four year starter at quarterback. It also looks to have a veteran offensive front. Veteran receivers. The assembly lines of development completely intact. The defense also with many veterans. The funny thing about football is its unpredictability year to year. The attrition that occurs and having injuries to vital personnel a season changing factor. Then you have to account for other schools progress and growth. Many factors to consider.

The potential of having success is always heightened with experience and knowledge. The luck a team carries through a season has a great influence to the outcome. In 97 it was the catch. Such unforeseen problems always get in the way. It will be a very interesting season. This season has a lot to say on how next year lines up. A springboard for momentum.

Last edited:
Based on the fact that NU's football program has not even won a conference title in about 13 years, and nothing really out of the ordinary has happened in recent years to think that the program has been significantly upgraded, and because it is a long way from no conference championships to national championships, I would have to say that my answer is: unlikely.

While not an unreasonable position to take, I would point out that it all has to start somewhere. In other words, just because they haven't won a conference championship lately doesn't mean they won't in the near future. There appears to be some depth building and some playmakers coming in on the offense so I wouldn't say there "is no significant upgrade." Granted, these players may all be busts, but they may not either. Bo showed that in his first three years that NU was getting better and was really just a little offense away from winning 2 straight conference titles. Last year was definitely a step back, the question is was that a one year wonder or is that what is to be expected from here on out. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I'm sorry when was Stanford's last conference championship........or even national championship..... and yet the expectations for them was a bit different from you the past couple years. And they were lead by, arguably the greatest college QB since.......;)

I am glad you brought up Stanford, because they are an example of what I was talking about in my post. I talked about whether or not there are signs of things out of the ordinary occurring that allow a team/program to suddenly and dramatically improve. Stanford had two things out of the ordinary happen simultaneously: Luck's abilities and Harbaugh's recruiting and coaching skills.

Nebraska recently had one of those extraordinary things occur: Suh. He single handedly made NU's defense for a season or two be extraordinary. Unfortunately, that huge upside coincided with a significant downturn in the offense, so great things were not achieved by the team as a whole. But they were right there on the doorstep.

Last edited:

Two things have always been part of Nebraska's national championship seasons. An outstanding defensive line and an outstanding quarterback. Will we have those in 2013? Not sure we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back