• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

iPhone and International travel

we're back

Scout Team
5 Year Member
My wife and I will be traveling to Spain and France in September and are considering our phone options.

I want to be able to use the camera and GPS, but do not expect to be making any calls. Nevertheless, I want to be able to make/receive calls, if necessary. My carrier is Verizon and I am thinking about pay-as-you-go. What settings do I need to use so that I don't end up with unexpected charges for text and data?

The other option is to purchase an international pre-paid phone...about $35.

Need guidance and suggestions.

Thanks.

My wife and I will be traveling to Spain and France in September and are considering our phone options.

I want to be able to use the camera and GPS, but do not expect to be making any calls. Nevertheless, I want to be able to make/receive calls, if necessary. My carrier is Verizon and I am thinking about pay-as-you-go. What settings do I need to use so that I don't end up with unexpected charges for text and data?

Thanks.
The first thing you need to do is, DITCH Verizon. Carry on.

Thanks.

I would suggest that you talk to someone at a Verizon store. That is what I did each time we had someone traveling to a foreign country in the last few years. Four different travel events and visited each time. Each time we added an international data plan that uses your domestic data allotment and the one we chose was a $/Day charge and only triggered on the days you used it. We were coached on how to manage that.

This was with Verizon. AS a side note I first visited a contract Verizon store and walked out with no info. Went to a company owned store and was much better. May have been a random thing but I would go to a direct Verizon store.

I would suggest that you talk to someone at a Verizon store. That is what I did each time we had someone traveling to a foreign country in the last few years. Four different travel events and visited each time. Each time we added an international data plan that uses your domestic data allotment and the one we chose was a $/Day charge and only triggered on the days you used it. We were coached on how to manage that.

This was with Verizon. AS a side note I first visited a contract Verizon store and walked out with no info. Went to a company owned store and was much better. May have been a random thing but I would go to a direct Verizon store.

Thanks. Have had similar experiences with "franchise" locations.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back