• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Iowa to expand beer and wine sales at all athletic venues

Yep, the only thing selling beer does that's different than now is bringing money to the university instead people sneaking it in or getting loaded in the parking lot before and half time.
It also cuts down on binge drinking at tailgates. If people know they can buy it inside they're far less likely to get blitzed before walking into the game.

I was part of a Stanford committee on this issue some years ago. It is a no brainer:

Availability of 3.2 beer (and wine in Stanford's case) in the stadium lessens the amount of (1) hard liquor smuggled into the stadium, and (2) binge drinking by less experienced drinkers immediately before entering the stadium.

The one drawback though is that it greatly increases the chances of getting beer spilled on you during the game. At least soda doesn't leave quite the stench when that gets spilled on you.

I was part of a Stanford committee on this issue some years ago. It is a no brainer:

Availability of 3.2 beer (and wine in Stanford's case) in the stadium lessens the amount of (1) hard liquor smuggled into the stadium, and (2) binge drinking by less experienced drinkers immediately before entering the stadium.

This makes all the sense.

Other than your wrong that it leads to more drunks as it actually leads to fewer sure, I think we should all have puritan values forced on us.

I'm going to quibble in a way that you didn't expect: When it comes to alcohol, being puritanical doesn't mean what you think it does.

Comparing anything to the Puritans is shorthand for saying, "Opposed to fun," but the reality was more complicated than that. Yes, they were extremely strict regarding morality laws, etc., but ... they also loved their alcohol. They had different types of alcohol at every meal. They were big on social drinking. There were reports of pastors who could put away a quart of hard liquor in a single evening and show no effect. Based on sheer volume of alcohol shipped to New England versus other places, the Puritans likely had the highest per capita volume of drinking alcohol in the world, and it was almost always in either a family or social setting. Estimates place average consumption at >6 gallons per year, yet today we only consume approximately 2 gallons of pure alcohol per person per year. It was common for New England families (including President John Adams) to start off their day with a large tankard of ale or lager or something similar. The Puritans also had the longest life expectancy in the known world at the time, so they were doing something right. Public drunkenness was punished severely, and there's little evidence of it existing among the Puritans more than anywhere else, probably less.

Here's a BBC article that touches on some of these things: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31741615

I'm going to quibble in a way that you didn't expect: When it comes to alcohol, being puritanical doesn't mean what you think it does.

Comparing anything to the Puritans is shorthand for saying, "Opposed to fun," but the reality was more complicated than that. Yes, they were extremely strict regarding morality laws, etc., but ... they also loved their alcohol. They had different types of alcohol at every meal. They were big on social drinking. There were reports of pastors who could put away a quart of hard liquor in a single evening and show no effect. Based on sheer volume of alcohol shipped to New England versus other places, the Puritans likely had the highest per capita volume of drinking alcohol in the world, and it was almost always in either a family or social setting. Estimates place average consumption at >6 gallons per year, yet today we only consume approximately 2 gallons of pure alcohol per person per year. It was common for New England families (including President John Adams) to start off their day with a large tankard of ale or lager or something similar. The Puritans also had the longest life expectancy in the known world at the time, so they were doing something right. Public drunkenness was punished severely, and there's little evidence of it existing among the Puritans more than anywhere else, probably less.

Here's a BBC article that touches on some of these things: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31741615
Fair enough and I do love a bit of history. Appreciate the lesson.

To me, it’s kind of like the legalized marijuana thingy.

And I am a pretty conservative guy. Never used drugs of any sort in my life.

It’s going to exist no matter what. Seems a social norm. So authorities might as well make “legal” money off of it.

They do probably need to beef up security if they try this…at least initially to see how it all pans out.

But hey, just a good opportunity for some overworked and over stressed police officers to earn a little “safe“ extra money for the family and see a Husker game on the cheap.

After all the crap that has gone on…they could use a break.
I hear ya I would lovw to work that off duty gig.......As long as the butt heads are at a all time low

To me, it’s kind of like the legalized marijuana thingy.

And I am a pretty conservative guy. Never used drugs of any sort in my life.

It’s going to exist no matter what. Seems a social norm. So authorities might as well make “legal” money off of it.

They do probably need to beef up security if they try this…at least initially to see how it all pans out.

But hey, just a good opportunity for some overworked and over stressed police officers to earn a little “safe“ extra money for the family and see a Husker game on the cheap.

After all the crap that has gone on…they could use a break.
I hear ya I would love to work that off duty gig.......As long as the butt heads are in check

So, over half of the league now sells alcohol in their stadiums. Seems like it is getting to a point that NU will be just shooting themselves in the foot and putting themselves at a disadvantage for not doing it. I doubt they will want to pass up that revenue source much longer. I'm guessing that by the 2023 season NU will have it as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back