• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Iowa Could Cost Husker Black Friday Game Slot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebstud2001

Recruit
10 Year Member
This may sound odd given Iowa’s record is 4-7, but Friday’s football game against Nebraska is a big one for the Hawkeyes.

It’s kind of important for the Cornhuskers, too [...]

[...] if Iowa lays it second-straight egg against Nebraska that could make for a very short Hawkeyes tenure as the Black Friday foe for the Huskers. Which would not be good for Iowa.

Iowa and Nebraska are set to end their seasons against each other through 2016, but the agreement to play on Friday was only set in stone through 2012. If you’re ABC and the Big Ten and Nebraska-Iowa seems like a one-sided series, you might be more comfortable with, say, Wisconsin-Penn State in that Friday time slot. With Maryland and Rutgers coming aboard shortly, maybe the conference and the network would rather slip in a game with those Eastern television markets in play.

Source: The Gazette.com - "If they get routed by Nebraska, Hawkeyes could lose a lot more than a game" - Mike Hlas

Rest of the article basically says "Iowa needs to win for ABC to want to keep this" (pfft.. please). The real problem is that Iowa, for the second year in a row doesn't even look like a threat to win. That makes this an unattractive game to programers. More so when you could see Iowa stinking for the next few years. Something needs to be done, if only for as long as it takes Iowa to fix their problems.

(See: The Complete Idiots Guide For: "How to break up with your over-paid head coach.")

Ohio St. & Michigan are locked to the last weekend of the regular season, almost no matter what. Wisconsin & Penn St. also play this weekend. Not sure if that's been a season ending game for more than this and last year.

Either way, I would hope Mr. Money bags would spring into action and do something if ABC starts saying they want NU v. Iowa out of the Friday time slot. I'm not sure I see an answer unless the divisions change in just the right way. Nebraska v. Wisconsin on this day would look to be a game worth the slot for years. It'd be an interesting match-up if not always the most relevant.

What do you guys think? Is Wisconsin maybe our only long term hope?

Rest of the article basically says "Iowa needs to win for ABC to want to keep this" (pfft.. please). The real problem is that Iowa, for the second year in a row doesn't even look like a threat to win. That makes this an unattractive game to programers. More so when you could see Iowa stinking for the next few years. Something needs to be done, if only for as long as it takes Iowa to fix their problems.

(See: The Complete Idiots Guide For: "How to break up with your over-paid head coach.")

Ohio St. & Michigan are locked to the last weekend of the regular season, almost no matter what. Wisconsin & Penn St. also play this weekend. Not sure if that's been a season ending game for more than this and last year.

Either way, I would hope Mr. Money bags would spring into action and do something if ABC starts saying they want NU v. Iowa out of the Friday time slot. I'm not sure I see an answer unless the divisions change in just the right way. Nebraska v. Wisconsin on this day would look to be a game worth the slot for years. It'd be an interesting match-up if not always the most relevant.

What do you guys think? Is Wisconsin maybe our only long term hope?

No, because we don't play Wisconsin every year, and won't play them for a while beginning next year. I saw that story too, and I didn't see it as more than speculation. It's not like Colorado was exactly setting the world on fire when they were our after-Thanksgiving "rival."

I don't really get why Penn State was made our cross-division rival (due to their place as one of the top-four historic programs) but the NU/PSU game wasn't put into the day-after-Thanksgiving slot. That would have typically been a much bigger matchup than Iowa. (Hopefully, PSU doesn't go completely down the toilet in the next four years, because as of now there's not a legitimate replacement for them). This is about what I expected from Iowa. I know some were excited for them and talking rivalry, but I never did see that happening. They are not good enough consistently, sort of like Colorado.

And by the way, I looked and there are quite a few CFB games on tomorrow- 14 to be exact. We have the ABC slot, but it's not like the old days when it was the only game going. If we lost the ABC slot I'm sure we'd be on another network.

No, because we don't play Wisconsin every year, and won't play them for a while beginning next year. I saw that story too, and I didn't see it as more than speculation. It's not like Colorado was exactly setting the world on fire when they were our after-Thanksgiving "rival."

I don't really get why Penn State was made our cross-division rival (due to their place as one of the top-four historic programs) but the NU/PSU game wasn't put into the day-after-Thanksgiving slot. That would have typically been a much bigger matchup than Iowa. (Hopefully, PSU doesn't go completely down the toilet in the next four years, because as of now there's not a legitimate replacement for them). This is about what I expected from Iowa. I know some were excited for them and talking rivalry, but I never did see that happening. They are not good enough consistently, sort of like Colorado.

And by the way, I looked and there are quite a few CFB games on tomorrow- 14 to be exact. We have the ABC slot, but it's not like the old days when it was the only game going. If we lost the ABC slot I'm sure we'd be on another network.
This.

There is no way they could take this storied rivalry off the national scene.;)

Last edited:

This is an 11:00 time slot. Most of the nation is waking up from a turkey coma. Iowa is a traditional program and draws viewers. I think we're safe. Now a 2:30 time slot, that's prime time and that could be a different story.

It say's ABC might feel more comfortable with a Wisconsin-Penn state Friday game. Who are these idiot's!!!! Penn State is going to suck huge in the next few years and years to come.

I suppose the Huskers should let Iowa beat them tomorrow to retain the Friday after Turkey Day slot.

There is no way they could take this storied rivalry off the national scene.;)

No doubt the nation would be up in arms if this classic rivalry went away.... :Biggrin: But when they shift the cheese heads into our division then that will be the new matchup imo.

The Husker brought this to Big 10. I am guessing it is safe for two more years. After that with the schedule shuffle my guess would be the Huskers keep it with a different partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back