• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Interesting take on the QB position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Nebraska goes and pulls a redshirt, how about they find an identity on offense first?

People are suggesting burning POB's redshirt now? Sounds like the panic button is getting worn down. Not to mention he wouldn't be the starter next year (as of today).

Everyone relax. If we have to go thru the Minnesota game with Fyfe it is what it is.

Now we know why Tanner was brought in. We are thin like that lady at the freak show. We've been snake bit at QB for so long that I think we've accepted average play at the position as just the way it is. No offense to TA...he's a gamer...and I respect the heck out of him...but its time to change directions of the O...assuming we currently have a direction to change from.

The jilting by the Gabberts, the Josh Freeman text, the DB @ QB gig, the Juco's, the baseball player tease, the concussions, the knee injuries....its been frustrating to say the least. POB may have been redshirted because he wasn't ready (according to some posters) or maybe MR thought he had enough to go without him. Either way...I hope Tanner Lee is ready to go next year because counting on a RS Freshman or a true Freshman going into next year's B1G schedule is not comforting.

Last edited:
I see freshmen start at other colleges, redshirt and otherwise, (Wisky, Georgia, Texas, UCLA to name four) so I don't know why POB can't do it next year, if he shows that he wins the job in Fall Camp. Obviously, it will be between him and Tanner Lee, but I don't think his being a redshirt freshman, should be a reason NOT to start him.

Our problem has NOTHING to do with the QB situation.

With an OL......I could make a 15 yd slant throw.

With our current OL......there is no QB in the history of the game that could of OR can make that throw.

I see freshmen start at other colleges, redshirt and otherwise, (Wisky, Georgia, Texas, UCLA to name four) so I don't know why POB can't do it next year, if he shows that he wins the job in Fall Camp. Obviously, it will be between him and Tanner Lee, but I don't think his being a redshirt freshman, should be a reason NOT to start him.
The kid from Florida St ain't too shabby either.

Our QB woes aren't based on lack of effort in recruiting. We had Stanton, Bush and Darlington lined up to play. Most of us really liked what we perceived they brought to the table and we potentially would have had all three lined up behind Tommy this season to compete for next. Two of the three I believe were elite 11 candidates. This isn't a recruiting miss on roster management or talent evaluation (At the time we recruited them).

A plethora of things happened that put Nebraska in the hole at QB.
1) All three were 'dual threat' QB's and recruited for a specific scheme that no longer applies. Stanton and Bush are smart young men and moved on. The coaching change messed up the plan, or one or both are still here ready to compete. Not predictable and I like the trajectory we are on, it just is painful to transition and caused a glaring hole at QB.
2) Darlington had concussion issues prior to coming and we honored his commitment. He needed at least a year to recover and he probably still has some lingering effects/worries.
3) Stanton also got injured after arriving. This also hurt his development. Given his performance at UNLV one might argue this was a miss. Coming out of high school sometimes that happens.
4) Bush arguably was the least polished so needed to learn and grow in his skills. This didn't happen for any number of reasons. The end result was a transfer.
5) Nebraska, until now under Langsdorf, was not QB 'U'. There were offers made but Pro and top talent QB's weren't going to come to Nebraska with the offense being run.

In the last 30 years we haven't recruited a true 'passing' QB. It is not Nebraska's DNA of a program, so there had to be a reboot to get us players like POB, Tanner Lee and Gebbia. It takes time and as painful as it has been the last two season's I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I am excited to see what this offense can be with the right skill set at the helm to run the designed plays.

Oh I dunno, Zach Taylor was a decent true passing qb.
Agreed, but he was a transfer to cover a gap after a coaching change, just like Tanner Lee is this season, so IMO this isn't a recruiting win but a roster gap filler using the transfer rules.

Nothing wrong with a redshirt freshman starting at QB. There was a guy a few years back, Taylor-something, he did pretty well. Not the greatest at everything, but was excellent at a few things. Maybe POB can be the mirror of that next year. Or maybe he'll make an excellent backup.

No reason to count him out of anything, though, just because of his age.

Our problem has NOTHING to do with the QB situation.

With an OL......I could make a 15 yd slant throw.

With our current OL......there is no QB in the history of the game that could of OR can make that throw.

Can't disagree but the O-line hasn't been this wrecked all 4 years. I'm a firm believer that the game is won or lost on the lines. If we can't get that going in the right direction, with depth and talent...all of our QB's better be mobile.

Nope, nope nope . . . far too late and too little to play for to burn an entire year for POB at this point. It's not even close, in my mind. If TA can't go, then you start Fyfe. If Fyfe struggles, give Darlington a chance . . . and if he can't, then line up someone fast/elusive in the wildcat who might be able to complete a pass here and there and roll with something unusual if needed.

Makes no sense to burn a shirt for a QB (or pretty much anyone) with 3 games left in the regular season and realistically no chance for a championship. Make the best of the year and take your lumps if you have to based on some other RS choices made and come back next year to try again.

If we were Top 10 and still in the hunt for a playoff run and TA was absolutely out for the year, then it would make sense to consider putting in POB. Running him out there behind a MASH unit (and horrible) line to preserve a Top 25 finish and a mid tier bowl game? Gawd no.

Will you still feel the same as the bolded if WI loses a game and NU could have been in the CCG?

Don't believe there was ever huge emphases on getting a 4 or 5 star QB except for Bubba Starling who was NEVER coming to Nebraska.

Bottom line we recruited some good athletes and thought we could turn them into good college QB's. That's easier said then done IMO. Now MR has to develop depth at a lot of positions including QB.

Lamar Jackson says hi.

Will you still feel the same as the bolded if WI loses a game and NU could have been in the CCG?

Yes. You play long term strategy and don't waste a year of eligibility 3 games out on the off chance other teams might lose. Play with what you have and regroup for next year. My two cents.

With our o-line, we're not ready to make a legit championship run. Sad reality. If we were humming like a well-oiled machine and TA was out for the distance and we were in a position to make a run on anything other than sheer luck or a puncher's chance, I might feel differently. Can't afford to make knee-jerk roster moves based on where were are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back