• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Interesting reason for UCLA/USC joining BIG - NIL

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
I was listening to some ESPN sponsored radio program the other morning, and a so called expert had an idea on why now for the expansion. There may be something to it. My apologies if it has been surfaced here before.

He said the finances of the schools were not very good and with boosters now giving money to support NIL, some of the regular outside sources are drying up. The TV contract will make a huge difference and is what drove them to merge.

If so interesting spin off of NIL.

I was listening to some ESPN sponsored radio program the other morning, and a so called expert had an idea on why now for the expansion. There may be something to it. My apologies if it has been surfaced here before.

He said the finances of the schools were not very good and with boosters now giving money to support NIL, some of the regular outside sources are drying up. The TV contract will make a huge difference and is what drove them to merge.

It's not surprising that boosters would invest in personnel now that it is legal. It changes the arms race. It used to be about having the nicest facilities, now it's about having the biggest payroll. I'd assume the B1G and SEC will have to deal with that aspect to avoid schools taking the NY Yankees approach and just buying the best team. Failure to deal with it will create competitive imbalance that will erode interest in the sport.

The PAC monies put them at a permanent deficit.
UCLA wasnt going to shrink its athletic teams count,thus the deficit.

ESPN has a hard time getting their heads around glitter city La La land cant afford their athletics programs. No surprise of both to me.

This is a great move if not only to maintain sports programs within all our programs.
Likely harmful to football as we knew it structurally, but the other sports can flourish

Over half of the B1G offer more sports than USC or UCLA. Money, budgets, boosters are of course the driving reason.

NIL may be a wild card but $50M/year in additional revenues gives some budget relief. NIL is ever changing and I suspect it will be reigned in shortly!

Over half of the B1G offer more sports than USC or UCLA. Money, budgets, boosters are of course the driving reason.

NIL may be a wild card but $50M/year in additional revenues gives some budget relief. NIL is ever changing and I suspect it will be reigned in shortly!

I was discussing this with a friend the other day; it's crazy what a $50M increase per year could pay for. That shiney new practice facility could be paid off in no time.

Its shocking to me that both usc and ucla, a pvt and public school were allowed by their board of regents, to continue the deficit spending. What did they magically think was going to bail them out, ? because they were not planning on jumping to the BIG to solve their money issues. If they didnt make the jump, i have to assume the debt woulda doubled in 5-7 years. Then what ?

Of course the decision makers at those schools were never THAT BOTHERED by it all cause they were not spending their own money, it was someone elses

You can speculate any way you wish, even use precedent, but this is the honorable way for them.
They were propping up the conference while going into debt, a microcosm of what were seeing today, more so than the okie/texas move to the sec ever was. Both these teams were far from debt ridden, and even smaller markets, the Big 12 maintained good TV ratings and cash.
It's a regional thing,no doubt, and the PAC will be scrambling.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back