• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Interesting quotes from Alberts in Tramel article in The Oklahoman

MSUHusker

Recruit
5 Year Member
Article is behind a paywall so I'll just list a few here. Article was focused on how a lot of our demise can be focused on the change in TV revenue after the OU/UGA lawsuit took TV money out of the NCAAs hands and into the conferences. Not sure that explains all of our problems (contributed some) but Trev had some interesting comments to share.

"The blatant truth, I would argue that some of, if not a lot of, our challenges were self-inflicted"

"you have what you have today, which means we have a lot of work to do"

On big TV money - "that was the real equalizer. Revenue was distributed more equitably"

"Its been a long time since this program has been able to execute and produce at a level that we all aspire to do. Yet our fans continue to support us, continue to stand with us. Doesn't mean at they aren't continuing to be at points frustrated, but people care."

"We have challenges like anybody else, but wholeheartedly, I wouldn't have taken this job if I didn't believe that with some continued hard work, focus, unity of purpose, this program can get back to where we want it to be"

And I think the most telling:

"It will not be overnight. Ours will be more incremental"

That says a lot of where he thinks our current program is and how long it will take to get back.

Article is behind a paywall so I'll just list a few here. Article was focused on how a lot of our demise can be focused on the change in TV revenue after the OU/UGA lawsuit took TV money out of the NCAAs hands and into the conferences. Not sure that explains all of our problems (contributed some) but Trev had some interesting comments to share.

"The blatant truth, I would argue that some of, if not a lot of, our challenges were self-inflicted"

"you have what you have today, which means we have a lot of work to do"

On big TV money - "that was the real equalizer. Revenue was distributed more equitably"

"Its been a long time since this program has been able to execute and produce at a level that we all aspire to do. Yet our fans continue to support us, continue to stand with us. Doesn't mean at they aren't continuing to be at points frustrated, but people care."

"We have challenges like anybody else, but wholeheartedly, I wouldn't have taken this job if I didn't believe that with some continued hard work, focus, unity of purpose, this program can get back to where we want it to be"

And I think the most telling:

That says a lot of where he thinks our current program is and how long it will take to get back.
To the point of that last quote, being that he understands it will take a while and it will be "incremental", that tells me somewhat that maybe he continues to stick with Scott, regardless of how this year pans out. If he changes coaches again, his slow incremental plan gets set back even more.

But, maybe I'm reading too much between the lines.

To the point of that last quote, being that he understands it will take a while and it will be "incremental", that tells me somewhat that maybe he continues to stick with Scott, regardless of how this year pans out. If he changes coaches again, his slow incremental plan gets set back even more.

That is how I interpret it too

That's also a thing you say when you're sandbagging your boss.

5n7hmx.jpg

Ever since ADTA was hired, he has been on-record numerous times talking about incremental improvement, attention to detail, and work ethic.

I'm confident that he has "process measures/goals" (that drive outcomes) that he'll set and use for each of his direct reports. If there is (or there is not) incremental improvement on those process measure/goals, than the outcomes will take care of themselves.

I'm guessing that... bottom line... he'll take the time he needs to collect/use data to direct his decision(s).

I think it's highly likely that Trev sticks with Frost for another year, no matter what. But, it will cause issues with recruiting if Frost can't gain some momentum this season to show recruits the program is headed in the right direction. And yes, fans are patient, but even though it's Trev's 1st season, it isn't "overnight" at this point. It's year 4 in a tenure with no measurable progress, from a HC who said we would be good in year two. Would should already see incremental improvement of some sort when paying top echelon money to a coaching staff......

I think it's highly likely that Trev sticks with Frost for another year, no matter what. But, it will cause issues with recruiting if Frost can't gain some momentum this season to show recruits the program is headed in the right direction. And yes, fans are patient, but even though it's Trev's 1st season, it isn't "overnight" at this point. It's year 4 in a tenure with no measurable progress, from a HC who said we would be good in year two. Would should already see incremental improvement of some sort when paying top echelon money to a coaching staff......
I dont think Trev is discounting anything that has happened in Scott's first 3 seasons. That said, I think Trev views Scott's success and future at Nebraska as beginning on the first day of Trev's hire. Trev will most likely weigh much of Scott's future on what transpires this season forward. That is what makes Trev such an exceptional builder of men. I'm not saying Trev would never fire Scott. I'm just saying that Trev is built much like Osborne in this area. He wants to help his coaches become better people and become better at their jobs. That can be a quick process or a long process, depending on the pupil.

Our society has lost the desire and know how to helping build and grow the people who work below us. It used to be commonplace. Now, not so much. I think you'll begin to see great changes in Scott and growth in his on field and off the field conduct and success.

The average fan does not really understand or comprehend that type of leadership. All we focus on is whether or not our favorite team is winning. For guys like Trev, there's so much more to life than winning. Hmm...sounds like a book title to me. ;)

I dont think Trev is discounting anything that has happened in Scott's first 3 seasons. That said, I think Trev views Scott's success and future at Nebraska as beginning on the first day of Trev's hire. Trev will most likely weigh much of Scott's future on what transpires this season forward. That is what makes Trev such an exceptional builder of men. I'm not saying Trev would never fire Scott. I'm just saying that Trev is built much like Osborne in this area. He wants to help his coaches become better people and become better at their jobs. That can be a quick process or a long process, depending on the pupil.

Our society has lost the desire and know how to helping build and grow the people who work below us. It used to be commonplace. Now, not so much. I think you'll begin to see great changes in Scott and growth in his on field and off the field conduct and success.

The average fan does not really understand or comprehend that type of leadership. All we focus on is whether or not our favorite team is winning. For guys like Trev, there's so much more to life than winning. Hmm...sounds like a book title to me. ;)
Now you sound like Clownahan....Maybe you don't understand leadership, I believe I do. Leadership is doing the right thing regardless of being unpopular.

Now you sound like Clownahan....Maybe you don't understand leadership, I believe I do. Leadership is doing the right thing regardless of being unpopular.
Doing the right thing regardless of how unpopular, is not leadership. That's character.

Leadership, effective leadership, is taking a group of people and uniting them behind a common goal. A good leader does that by building each member of his team and equipping them with the tools to accomplish that goal.

Last edited:

I think you are.Good post.Keep the faith.GBR.

If Frost were replaced, I think you’re right that it would be a situation forced by deteriorating recruiting. But recruiting is a complete morass to sort out right now. With super seniors combined with the transfer portal, there are less spots for incoming freshmen this year. With pandemic effects, I think impressions of this year’s class are probably distorted right now. We’ll see what it looks like on signing day. Overall, recruiting has been fine under Frost’s tenure. Bottom line, I don’t see recruiting forcing the issue this year. Recruiting rivals on the trail have incentive to make it sound like Frost is on shaky ground. If Alberts feels otherwise, he needs to be able to convey that effectively.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back