• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Interesting QB recruit from Germany

That's a big kid. Thanks for posting this, that was a fun read. In all honesty, I can't see him actually being a big time college QB or an NFL QB, but you never know. He gets on the right team and and plays for the right coach, with his size and determination, he could be one helluva a get for somebody.

A few years back we had an exchange student from Germany who told everybody that he wanted to play football. Like everyone else, I assumed that he was thinking of soccer, but on the first day of practice he showed up with his own receiver's gloves, mouthpiece, and cleats. He was a stud. Poor guy was an exchange student to a team that was awful, but he was our best player. He returned the opening kickoff of the season for a TD. He had grown up playing football, and he was an excellent WR. I didn't have a QB who could throw, so he was our pre-Frost equivalent of a Duck-R. He finished the year as our leading rusher, leading receiver, and leading tackler as he played Safety on defense: he'd never played defense before. He projected somewhere between NAIA and D2 as a football player, but he went home after his year with us and played some more football in Germany.

Fwiw, he'd been exceptionally well coached.

A few years back we had an exchange student from Germany who told everybody that he wanted to play football. Like everyone else, I assumed that he was thinking of soccer, but on the first day of practice he showed up with his own receiver's gloves, mouthpiece, and cleats. He was a stud. Poor guy was an exchange student to a team that was awful, but he was our best player. He returned the opening kickoff of the season for a TD. He had grown up playing football, and he was an excellent WR. I didn't have a QB who could throw, so he was our pre-Frost equivalent of a Duck-R. He finished the year as our leading rusher, leading receiver, and leading tackler as he played Safety on defense: he'd never played defense before. He projected somewhere between NAIA and D2 as a football player, but he went home after his year with us and played some more football in Germany.

:Mfclap:

I meant before I had ever met him ... he'd been exceptionally well coached. There was very little on the offensive side that I taught him beyond timing, footwork, eye placement, etc., for specific plays, and he picked it up quickly and easily. It was on the defensive side that we did some work with him. I never took any credit for his abilities because I don't think I added anything to it. I would have loved to have added him to several other teams that I've been around that were lacking one more offensive weapon.

Last edited:
I meant before I had ever met him ... he'd been exceptionally well coached. There was very little on the offensive side that I taught him beyond timing, footwork, eye placement, etc., for specific plays, and he picked it up quickly and easily. It was on the defensive side that we did some work with him. I never took any credit for his abilities because I don't think I added anything to it. I would have loved to have added him to several other teams that I've been around that were lacking one more offensive weapon.
:thumbsup:

“before” was my assumption.

But I’m a hater. ;)

We had a similar experience. We've hosted a few FES's over the years, all from Germany. All played soccer at a pretty high level in Germany, and crushed it here. One played team handball in Germany, and decided to give basketball a try. Very physical and competitive girl. Her coach said that she loved to throw elbows like they were Mardi Gras throws. LOL.

How about Seppo Evwarye? I think he was an exchange from Finland or Netherlands, can't remember. Very nice young man, too.

How about Seppo Evwarye? I think he was an exchange from Finland or Netherlands, can't remember. Very nice young man, too.

Finland. A Finnish coach was doing graduate work at Wayne State college in the Finnish off season. He roomed with the Laurel coach who was a bachelor at the time. Eventually he sent Seppo to play at Laurel. Don't know who he stayed with in Laurel.

one ferener would be great. dont really care where their from.

Last edited by a moderator:

but that isn't quite the same thing since he was an American and his father was in the military and stationed in Germany
There's a lot of cross-pollination that way, though. If you look for it, a lot of the best football players--whether ethnically German or Americans in Germany--come from areas where there have been lots of Americans stationed. The areas around and between Ramstein Air Force Base and Frankfurt seem to be hot spots for football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back