• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Interesting message from coach Austin

Voice Of Reason

Scout Team
10 Year Member
GET BETTER OR QUIT

Quotable: Nebraska sophomore left guard Broc Bando, explaining a scene after the game in which offensive line coach Greg Austin had his group huddled tightly on the sideline for a quick meeting before heading to the locker room after the lopsided loss.

“He told us it was a moment where we needed to realize that it’s time to either quit or to get better. And I’m going to get better.”

Actually that is a message that I think should be given to the whole team including the coaches.

But let’s face it nobody is going to quit and if they could magically flip a switch and get better they would have done it long ago.

If coach Austin and the rest of the coaches want something to change they are going to have to change something. Either change the players they are starting or change the coaching methods they have been using.

Talk is cheap but if they don’t actually change something we will be lucky to qualify for a bowl game.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_633ef99e-026d-574b-9428-86fc0d1f4011.html

GET BETTER OR QUIT

Quotable: Nebraska sophomore left guard Broc Bando, explaining a scene after the game in which offensive line coach Greg Austin had his group huddled tightly on the sideline for a quick meeting before heading to the locker room after the lopsided loss.

“He told us it was a moment where we needed to realize that it’s time to either quit or to get better. And I’m going to get better.”

Actually that is a message that I think should be given to the whole team including the coaches.

But let’s face it nobody is going to quit and if they could magically flip a switch and get better they would have done it long ago.

If coach Austin and the rest of the coaches want something to change they are going to have to change something. Either change the players they are starting or change the coaching methods they have been using.

Talk is cheap but if they don’t actually change something we will be lucky to qualify for a bowl game.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_633ef99e-026d-574b-9428-86fc0d1f4011.html
Yep, when Austin said "we", I hope he was including himself

GET BETTER OR QUIT

They can't get stronger or faster at this point, but they can play with more effort, they can hold each other more accountable.

Insanity is to expect change whilst doing the same thing over and over.

We don't know if he's ever really called guys out before. One thing this staff seems to lean toward is keeping an even keel and not over reacting, even when some situations might seem to call for it. If this is the first time he's really verbalized his disgust, then it isn't necessarily doing the same thing.

It’s just “things coaches and players say when things aren’t going well”. It’s meaningless by itself because, when all is said and done, talk is cheap. But I guess it’s better than not saying anything.

at this point, I doubt the players know what needs to happen to get better or even have the ability to do so. If they did, I assume we would have seen some evidence of it by now.

But hope springs eternal.

We don't know if he's ever really called guys out before. One thing this staff seems to lean toward is keeping an even keel and not over reacting, even when some situations might seem to call for it. If this is the first time he's really verbalized his disgust, then it isn't necessarily doing the same thing.

So we did not have a problem last year either? This team has played flat and unmotivated all season.

So we did not have a problem last year either? This team has played flat and unmotivated all season.

How does that change my assertion that this might be a new tactic? Last year we actually did see some better line play as the season progressed, but there were several players on that squad that aren't playing this year. Our first couple of games we could pass off some of the ineffectiveness as being very new, but lately, to your point, they are playing unmotivated, which is inexcusable. This is why I think what Austin has said is something new.

We are 7 games into the season. We are who we are. Some minor changes could happen but probably not major changes as most of the issues are mental mistakes: consistency, effort, penalties, missed assignments, mindset of being tough-relentless and none one will beat you. All of this is either sporadic or missing.

I think this is a good sign. I also think the bye week came at the right time. Nebraska needs a moment to not worry about the next opponent, but instead focus on getting themselves better. It's an opportunity to reflect and do more in-depth evaluation. If we come out flat in 2 weeks, we have a problem.

How about we focus on having the best run blockers on one side of the ball? Having mismatched guard-tackle combinations is not exactly lending itself to a good run game.

I think the message was terrible. Austin chose his bed and slept in it. We waited until we lost three games before looking for answers. Earth to coach Austin....

We are 7 games into the season. We are who we are. Some minor changes could happen but probably not major changes as most of the issues are mental mistakes: consistency, effort, penalties, missed assignments, mindset of being tough-relentless and none one will beat you. All of this is either sporadic or missing.
If the rotation remains the same, you are likely correct. However, what if we see Bando getting more time, and maybe we see one of our young guys move into the lineup? That isn't 'we are who we are', that could mean we see some different levels of performance or attitude. A shakeup in the line usually scares the crap out of coaches, but I'm starting to think we need to do or try something to create some urgency and accountability.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back