• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Interesting CWS Numbers

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
7 of the 8 CWS teams have team ERA's ranked in the top 25 nationally (Texas Tech is 42nd).

1 of the 8 CWS teams have team batting averages ranked in the top 25 nationally (Ole Miss). If you expand to 42 teams (as noted above, which included all teams with pitching), you still only have the one team.

Further proof that it really is all about pitching. Batting is very secondary to success in college baseball these days.

The pendulum needs to swing back to the middle.

I do sometimes miss the homerun derby college baseball once was. Though that was too extreme. And you're right, it's swung strongly in the other direction to the point where a happy medium would be ideal.

Success in baseball will almost always be determined by pitching. That is really not new and I don't believe has anything to do with the dead bats now. These stats are based on how the CWS teams rank relative to their peers. I haven't looked up the stats, but I'm confident that the teams that make it to Omaha will usually have good team ERA rankings (relative to peers), regardless of whether that ERA is 2.00 or 5.00.

Personally, I prefer the college game now, rather than when it was a homerun derby. I enjoy well played, quality baseball and the current bats put an emphasis on overall fundamental baseball, rather than playing for bombs. I do agree in the CWS that it has gone a little too far, and I think the new baseballs will probably correct the issue (although others may still not be satisfied). Currently, I think it is too easy to pitch in TDA and there is little risk for pitchers leaving balls up or making mistakes. Last year, UCLA lived off pitching up and daring teams to hit fly balls.

Personally, I prefer the college game now, rather than when it was a homerun derby. I enjoy well played, quality baseball and the current bats put an emphasis on overall fundamental baseball, rather than playing for bombs. I do agree in the CWS that it has gone a little too far, and I think the new baseballs will probably correct the issue (although others may still not be satisfied). Currently, I think it is too easy to pitch in TDA and there is little risk for pitchers leaving balls up or making mistakes. Last year, UCLA lived off pitching up and daring teams to hit fly balls.

+1

I do sometimes miss the homerun derby college baseball once was. Though that was too extreme. And you're right, it's swung strongly in the other direction to the point where a happy medium would be ideal.

I guess, today, we don't have players on steroids, anymore? :lol: Just stirring things up!! :stirthepot:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back