• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Instead of booting Frost……

I'd be interested to explore a few of these:

Why are some players benched for making a mistake, and others are not?
How do you determine if/when a benched player comes back in?
What can a coach do to help players improve their focus and discipline during a game... especially at critical times in the game?

When was the last time we had a serious and productive talk about the sports writers who are highly opinionated in voicing their thoughts about Nebraska football ? If you think the coaches and team do not read this stuff you are wrong. Now some of the good old boys are also found on YouTube spouting their drivel. On top of that I am now asked to pay for the privilege of reading what good old Sam or Sip have to say. Really? Some of these guys need to go away. They are no longer relevant and offer a perspective which is not in keeping with journalistic standards. More and more they seem to be concerned about readership numbers and YouTube likes. So I submit to you that it is time for the Dirks, the Sams and the Sips to go and be replaced with new and fresh perspectives. Coaches from Bo to Frost have shown frustration dealing with the local media. Yes some of the problem is coaches, but I suspect some of the problem is also with our local sports writting gentry. Thoughts?
I was a sportswriter in the 90s. It was a second job and not my main career. I did a lot of high school games and also had credentials and covered NU on most home weekends. At high school games, I usually sat in the crowd. For NU, I always went on the field over the press box. Some nights, I took phone calls from coaches and filed summaries.

Generally, I had a few rules to stories. First, put the pertinent information like the score and who won in the first few sentences. Second, put a positive spin on players and point out ones that had a good game. This was suppose to be fun and part of that fun was seeing your name in the paper. Third, unless it was a feature, don't make the story about something else like the player that got hurt.

The NU writers really thought highly of themselves. A radio PBP even more so. The program brings attention to them, not the other way around and they tended to lose sight of that. And the negativity followed along with just obnoxious behavior.

A few years ago, I was at my high school reunion and someone came up to me. I had written a story decades ago. I don't even remember the game. But apparently, his son had a great one that day and he could still recite the headline and things I wrote in the story. Now, that's what I was shooting for.

When was the last time we had a serious and productive talk about the sports writers who are highly opinionated in voicing their thoughts about Nebraska football ? If you think the coaches and team do not read this stuff you are wrong. Now some of the good old boys are also found on YouTube spouting their drivel. On top of that I am now asked to pay for the privilege of reading what good old Sam or Sip have to say. Really? Some of these guys need to go away. They are no longer relevant and offer a perspective which is not in keeping with journalistic standards. More and more they seem to be concerned about readership numbers and YouTube likes. So I submit to you that it is time for the Dirks, the Sams and the Sips to go and be replaced with new and fresh perspectives. Coaches from Bo to Frost have shown frustration dealing with the local media. Yes some of the problem is coaches, but I suspect some of the problem is also with our local sports writting gentry. Thoughts?
This: “Some of these guys need to go away. They are no longer relevant and offer a perspective which is not in keeping with journalistic standards.”

I'd be interested to explore a few of these:

Why are some players benched for making a mistake, and others are not?
How do you determine if/when a benched player comes back in?
What can a coach do to help players improve their focus and discipline during a game... especially at critical times in the game?
Steps in the south stadium. Up and down for each yard of penalty you cost the team. From the bottom to the top and down.

This: “Some of these guys need to go away. They are no longer relevant and offer a perspective which is not in keeping with journalistic standards.”
I'm shocked you're for getting rid of journalists you don't like. Completely and totally shocked by that un-American position.

Our media is just fine. They all serve a purpose. Dirk is very needed and often brings a different perspective than the others (Sipple for example who is just really a university puppet at this point).

I used to love Sam before he went to the OWH. He's still ok, but he was really good before. Balanced and thoughtful.

Our media isn't even close to badgering/berating as many others in the country.

Fake news. Free press. Freedom of speech.

This topic isn't confined to just football. People can print what they want and citizens can read what they want. I'm not going to get too far off track since this is the football forum (not Hot Topics) but I don't think I want to live in a world where sports writers are given a narrative for what content their articles should contain.

I personally prefer reading their articles over most message boards and definitely over Twitter. They at least know how to write. they have connections within the athletic department and coaching community. Sometimes it’s a good article other times not. Dirks book about race and athletics in Omaha is a great read. At least I know who they are and their credentials. It’s better than getting the same opinions from guys who may or may not have played high school sports.

There's no good way to answer that question and will get criticized no matter what he says.
I think if he was honest, he could give a good answer. From the outside looking in, it has not been a recruiting priority with this staff or the previous staff. They want their LB's to do everything.

I think if he was honest, he could give a good answer. From the outside looking in, it has not been a recruiting priority with this staff or the previous staff. They want their LB's to do everything.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what do linebackers have to do with what we were talking about?

Let's pretend Frost's answer was something along the lines of, "they are tremendous athletes, but tend to struggle reading defenses and often run routes incorrectly because of it. Additionally, they need to do a better job of actually catching the ball when it comes to them."

Would you be ok with that? Do you think that some fans would accuse him of throwing players under the bus?

Do you think fans really want the HONEST answers to those types of questions?
Agree and the fact of the matter is as long as those kids know why they aren’t seeing the field it doesn’t matter what we think. Hopefully that’s clear and will motivate them to do better. I liked the fact that Yant didn’t play after his mistakes - sends a message of accountability. We unfortunately don’t have the depth at all positions to do that.

Meh, they work in a tough, competitive industry, doing whatever they can think of to get readers so they can keep their jobs. I'm guessing if there was a better formula they would have stumbled across it already.
It's called The Athletic.

You do realize that college sports would not exist without their media “partners”, correct?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back