• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Inside look at Missouri's Big12 exit

That may be a bit too harsh. They side with us and the four schools bolt to the Pac 12, and they have nothing. I see it as they had a gun to their heads making a lot of those votes.

Or what? What was the penalty for agreeing with NU? I simply can't understand why ISU KSU etc kept voting the Longhorn way. Were they scared they'd be punished with less revenue?

That may be a bit too harsh. They side with us and the four schools bolt to the Pac 12, and they have nothing. I see it as they had a gun to their heads making a lot of those votes.

I don't think it's harsh at all. Since the beginning Nebraska stood on it's own against Texas. Before they even joined they threatened not to join unless the conference agreed to eliminate partial qualifiers and everyone lined up against us. I don't think Texas really cared about the academic side. It was a power move IMO.

And why did everyone vote to keep the Big 12 championship game in Texas indefinitely?

In the end I agree everyone was fighting for their own survival with the Texas teams threatening to bolt but at that point it seemed they were all willing to sell their souls to Dodds and give him anything he wanted if they would just stay. Not a lot to respect about that in my opinion.

Last edited:

IMO, he isn't talking about this particular vote but the many, many votes throughout the 15 years or so of the Big 12 where Texas (and OU, to an extent) pushed their way around. Yeah, by the time all of this went down, the lil sisters of the B12 had no choice but to be led around by the nose by Texa$$ (and OU).

More Texa$$ spewl:
DODDS, FEBRUARY 2013: “We’re going to have good years again. Our bad years are not that bad. Take a school like Missouri. Our bad years are better than their good years. But we’ve created a standard.”

ALDEN: “Texas’ worst years are like Missouri’s best years. Who makes those kind of comments? You know who makes those kind of comments? Arrogant people in arrogant institutions. And that’s exactly, in my opinion, that’s what we saw throughout the whole process.”

DeLoss Dodds is a complete jack...well you know, as far as I'm concerned. K-State has honored the guy since all this happened and I just try to tell the uninformed "he would have left K-State out to dry without a second thought had his plan worked." Seriously F that guy, I can't stand him.

IMO, he isn't talking about this particular vote but the many, many votes throughout the 15 years or so of the Big 12 where Texas (and OU, to an extent) pushed their way around. Yeah, by the time all of this went down, the lil sisters of the B12 had no choice but to be led around by the nose by Texa$$ (and OU).

There was an article recently where Jon Wefald admitted he did whatever Texas wanted. I know that deserves criticism but I think some schools felt they had to appease Texas from the get-go. I also think MU always had a better brand than our leaders ever realized but Gary Pinkel getting the football program out of the gutter didn't hurt us either.

There was an article recently where Jon Wefald admitted he did whatever Texas wanted. I know that deserves criticism but I think some schools felt they had to appease Texas from the get-go. I also think MU always had a better brand than our leaders ever realized but Gary Pinkel getting the football program out of the gutter didn't hurt us either.

Of course Mizzou had a great brand. I think the fact they had shown a recent ability to compete in football was the only issue in play. Once that was checked off the list, Mizzou was always an "all-plus, no negatives" school.

Last edited:
This may have been my favorite part of the article:

"CHIP BROWN, ORANGEBLOODS.COM, SEPTEMBER 12, 2011: “Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.”

SCOTT STATEMENT, SEPTEMBER 20, 2011: “After careful review we have determined that it is in the best interests of our member institutions, student-athletes and fans to remain a 12-team conference. While we have great respect for all of the institutions that have contacted us, and certain expansion proposals were financially attractive, we have a strong conference structure and culture of equality that we are committed to preserve.”"

OU is now is such a weak position, as no power conference has any need to expand any further. They might go somewhere as a package deal, but it would probably need to involve Texas.

MISSOURI ATHLETIC DIRECTOR MIKE ALDEN said:
This is before Nebraska had announced that they were going to leave. We were at one of these meetings and Dan Beebe was running it, there was all this tension in the room and Coach (Tom) Osborne was just so, he was always so class, I just loved being in meetings with him. He was very thoughtful. When all this was going on, there was one athletic director in particular, I can’t remember what school it was, but it’s in Austin. Anyhow, I heard a guy in that chair, he just started flipping out—flipping out is probably too strong a term, but he got pretty agitated, this person—and started dropping expletives about this and firing them kind of at us, at Mizzou, because Mizzou was rumored maybe the Big Ten is looking. And I was trying to be very professional. You know who stood up for me? For us? Tom Osborne.

L O L

I think it's fair to say that DeLoss Dodds killed the conference. And I'm pretty sure if the Big 12 could turn back the clock, a lot of things would have been handled differently.

Hubris can dig some deep holes.

This may have been my favorite part of the article:

"CHIP BROWN, ORANGEBLOODS.COM, SEPTEMBER 12, 2011: “Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.”

SCOTT STATEMENT, SEPTEMBER 20, 2011: “After careful review we have determined that it is in the best interests of our member institutions, student-athletes and fans to remain a 12-team conference. While we have great respect for all of the institutions that have contacted us, and certain expansion proposals were financially attractive, we have a strong conference structure and culture of equality that we are committed to preserve.”"

OU is now is such a weak position, as no power conference has any need to expand any further. They might go somewhere as a package deal, but it would probably need to involve Texas.

I would say that is sad, but they abandoned Nebraska, and ran to Tejas' side when we expanded. They are reaping what they sowed.. Screw them.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back