• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Inside look at Missouri's Big12 exit

I apologize, I meant to post this in the "other teams" forum.

“The structure of the Big 12, the way it was originated, in my opinion, that league was set up to fail. I do believe that if it would have been set up differently, it could have been one of the greatest leagues ever. When you set it up and you had favoritism toward one institution and then everybody else, it’s not going to work.”
Maybe if every school but NU had had some balls back then, they would have been able to curtail the behemoth that they apparently didn't want. There were twelve votes, right? If they wanted to fix things, they only had to vote to fix them. I can't be sorry for people that complain that things were bad when they were actively voting to keep the bad things happening.

Last edited:

The stupidity of the whole thing is that the Big 12 (and Texas) cannot replace the four teams that left in large part because of Texas. I mean only West Virginia is historically a strong program (TCU isn't nearly as strong over any extended period post WW-II).

Last edited:

The article certainly has some praise heaped onto TO by, at the time, conference peers. Too bad for all of those 11-1 votes. Oh well, we are much better off!!

Some of the quotes, "We were at one of these meetings and Dan Beebe was running it, there was all this tension in the room and Coach (Tom) Osborne was just so, he was always so class, I just loved being in meetings with him. He was very thoughtful."

"Anyhow, I heard a guy in that chair, he just started flipping out—flipping out is probably too strong a term, but he got pretty agitated, this person—and started dropping expletives about this and firing them kind of at us, at Mizzou, because Mizzou was rumored maybe the Big Ten is looking. And I was trying to be very professional. You know who stood up for me? For us? Tom Osborne.”

More, "“Nebraska, rich tradition in the Big 12. They saw what was happening. They were sitting in meetings, they saw what was happening, they saw what had happened with one of our members and the control that they had and the influence that they had and they just said ‘We’re not doing this.’ Tom Osborne, I remember a quote, when they were in the Big Eight, they had a fierce competition with everybody, even Oklahoma. Fierce competition. But at the end of the day they always did what was best for that league. It was never about one team.”

Last edited:
The stupidity of the whole thing is that the Big 12 (and Texas) cannot replace the four teams that left in large part because of Texas. I mean only West Virginia is historically a strong program (TCU isn't nearly as strong over any extended period post WW-II).
That is the ironic part of all of this.

Kind of like MLB and the Yankees/Cubs/Red Sox. As soon as they figured out that the whole is greater than the individual pieces baseball became good again.

More Texa$$ spewl:
DODDS, FEBRUARY 2013: “We’re going to have good years again. Our bad years are not that bad. Take a school like Missouri. Our bad years are better than their good years. But we’ve created a standard.”

ALDEN: “Texas’ worst years are like Missouri’s best years. Who makes those kind of comments? You know who makes those kind of comments? Arrogant people in arrogant institutions. And that’s exactly, in my opinion, that’s what we saw throughout the whole process.”

I do not feel bad for ANY of the other teams currently in or formerly in the Big 12. They all saw what was going on and could have sided with Nebraska on any number of issues but they were too cowardice to stand up to Texas. Usually to the tune of 11-1 votes.

I do not feel bad for ANY of the other teams currently in or formerly in the Big 12. They all saw what was going on and could have sided with Nebraska on any number of issues but they were too cowardice to stand up to Texas. Usually to the tune of 11-1 votes.

THIS!

That may be a bit too harsh. They side with us and the four schools bolt to the Pac 12, and they have nothing. I see it as they had a gun to their heads making a lot of those votes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back