• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries

Is it just me, or do the Huskers seem to be the most injured team in America? My recollection is we had many groin type injuries in the 90s (athletic pubica?) but the overall number of injured players seemed less in the 90s and 80s. Maybe it’s me. Maybe we are taking players who are more susceptible to injury like Stepp and Tompkins.

Maybe we were deeper with talent back in the 80's and 90's so the injuries weren't as obvious? No clue just throwing it out there.

Thompkins has really had tough luck with injury's even before he arrived, I wish him luck but I just never see him being able to practice / play to the level he needs to be at to contribute at DONU

Last edited:
Thompkins has really had tough luck with injury's even before he arrived, I wish him luck but I just never see him being able to practice / play to the level he needs to be at to contribute at DONU
Theres always hope if he keeps striving.
For every 100 injured rb, theres 1 Frank Gore

Next man up!

injuries are part of football.

I have learned over the years to just accept them...say darn it....

And move on. Maybe a “hidden gem“ will emerge.

Manning? I don’t even know whether to say darn it or not.....

Stepp I would like to see but I have a feeling a couple of our backs are going to emerge..

The other folks I am confident we will have back

besides...losing them for spring...or part of it is not really my worry.

Losing them in September is.

I heard that Farmer WAS practicing.

After that leg injury....amazing!

Last edited:

Next man up!

injuries are part of football.

I have learned over the years to just accept them...say darn it....

And move on. Maybe a “hidden gem“ will emerge.

Manning? I don’t even know whether to say darn it or not.....

Stepp I would like to see but I have a feeling a couple of our backs are going to emerge..

The other folks I am confident we will have back

besides...losing them for spring...or part of it is not really my worry.

Losing them in September is.

I heard that Farmer WAS practicing.

After that leg injury....amazing!
Good thing is ,we are no longer are thin at all sorts of positions.
How many years were we thin at LB? Then WR? Or even RB?
D line, when we couldnt find DEs, OL even.

I have the feeling being that thin in almost all rooms is a history we can go back and find out a few things about, but not now.

Last edited:
We do seem to get more than our fair share of injuries. What I wonder about is how many of them are continual from their previous team, whether it's the high school team of their college/JUCO team? Stepp's injury is disappointing and we have had off season injuries to some of our kickers? It's one thing to get injured in a scrimmage, but non-contact ones are puzzling.

I really question that we have more injuries than other teams. As fans we just pay closer attention to Nebraska than other teams, so we notice. If a game were played next week, the TV announcers would mention RB attrition and eventually they would mention Stille. Two positions (including the deepest on the team) missing starters due to injury isn't bad.

To me, the most frustrating thing is how little information we get about the injuries. I recall when Barret Pickering was injured a few years ago, most of us initially thought that he would only be out for a game or two, but he ultimately ended up having to retire due to injuries that (to my knowledge) have never been completely explained. We are similarly in the dark as to what's going on with Omar Manning, and there are lots of other examples as well. I understand the players' need for privacy in many cases (Manning's situation may be an example), but it is very frustrating to not get better information. Can we assume that Stepp will be fine in the fall, or is his injury potentially more serious than that? We literally have no idea.

To me, the most frustrating thing is how little information we get about the injuries. I recall when Barret Pickering was injured a few years ago, most of us initially thought that he would only be out for a game or two, but he ultimately ended up having to retire due to injuries that (to my knowledge) have never been completely explained. We are similarly in the dark as to what's going on with Omar Manning, and there are lots of other examples as well. I understand the players' need for privacy in many cases (Manning's situation may be an example), but it is very frustrating to not get better information. Can we assume that Stepp will be fine in the fall, or is his injury potentially more serious than that? We literally have no idea.
SF said summer for Stepp

This is actually one of my biggest complaints with SF; his interactions with the fans, via the media. The way he talks about injuries, playing coy, being insular, and acting like things are a massive state secret matches the ways he provides program evaluations. The common refrains; "We are really close," "Guys had a really good week of practice, one of the strongest we've had". Giving statements like that when on field performance says otherwise dovetails with non-answers about injures... they erode credibility and and make it hard for fans (and recruits) to trust what the guy says.

Listen, the coaches don't have to tell us anything. We are fans, we like to know, but we don't have a right to know. However if the only thing you feed the fans is BS, don't be surprised if they stop eating.

I really dont have any problems with how they handle injury news. Its nice to know but thats it. Injured is injured and the player has the right to keep that info to himslef and people in the know.

I really dont have any problems with how they handle injury news. Its nice to know but thats it. Injured is injured and the player has the right to keep that info to himslef and people in the know.
Especially when some guys are just getting a break. I hate to keep bringing it up, but Riley was TOO forward with injury stuff. So when we would hold Spielman or Morgan or someone out, he would say something like "we are holding him out to heal his hamstrings" (or something like that) and our media would run with "Spielman out with soft-tissue injury". With these guys, some of them are just taking a break.

Now... I do get the thought that there's only 14 practices, we didn't get a spring last year, and we weren't very good so probably should try to get every practice rep in you can and rest this summer.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back