• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries

Especially when some guys are just getting a break. I hate to keep bringing it up, but Riley was TOO forward with injury stuff. So when we would hold Spielman or Morgan or someone out, he would say something like "we are holding him out to heal his hamstrings" (or something like that) and our media would run with "Spielman out with soft-tissue injury". With these guys, some of them are just taking a break.

Now... I do get the thought that there's only 14 practices, we didn't get a spring last year, and we weren't very good so probably should try to get every practice rep in you can and rest this summer.

Which in your example would be 100% correct.

It makes me smile that in the same thread we have some people complaining how we aren't given all the facts, some people complaining we have too much information, and some people complaining that the media overstates the severity when they are reporting what they've been told. However, we are NU fans and we deserve to know everything about all medical issues. (HIPAA be d*^%^&)

It makes me smile that in the same thread we have some people complaining how we aren't given all the facts, some people complaining we have too much information, and some people complaining that the media overstates the severity when they are reporting what they've been told. However, we are NU fans and we deserve to know everything about all medical issues. (HIPAA be d*^%^&)
Just rub some dirt in it, it'll make it all better

Eh... then people run with him resting his hamstrings as an injury. Nebraska and every other team in the country promotes sleep to heal muscles after tough lifting workouts or practices, I guess technically that’s a soft-tissue injury as well since muscles tear and then build back stronger. Even though it isn’t. We give every single player Sunday off to rest/heal after football games, is every single one out with a soft-tissue injury because they are sore? You see where I’m going with this.

I just wouldn’t dig too much into who is sitting out, especially in the spring. Maybe Riley should have just used the term “load management” like all the cool people are doing nowadays to get the tweeters off his back. Even though I hate that term too.

I guess in summation, if a kid sits out one practice and then is at the next one. Not sure it’s an injury. I guess in the literal sense it is, but again, not something I get too worked up about.

Last edited:
We do seem to get more than our fair share of injuries. What I wonder about is how many of them are continual from their previous team, whether it's the high school team of their college/JUCO team? Stepp's injury is disappointing and we have had off season injuries to some of our kickers? It's one thing to get injured in a scrimmage, but non-contact ones are puzzling.

What do you consider our "fair share"?

To me, the most frustrating thing is how little information we get about the injuries. I recall when Barret Pickering was injured a few years ago, most of us initially thought that he would only be out for a game or two, but he ultimately ended up having to retire due to injuries that (to my knowledge) have never been completely explained. We are similarly in the dark as to what's going on with Omar Manning, and there are lots of other examples as well. I understand the players' need for privacy in many cases (Manning's situation may be an example), but it is very frustrating to not get better information. Can we assume that Stepp will be fine in the fall, or is his injury potentially more serious than that? We literally have no idea.

What would you do with this information, if you had it?

Are you hurt or are you injured? If you’re hurt, get back out there and play through it. If you’re injured, grab some bench. Three win teams don’t get the luxury of “load management”. At least that’s what my former coach would have said. That’s probably why we never were a 3-win team though. Someone down in Lincoln needs to replace the 10-ply Charmin Ultra Soft to Scott single-ply in the locker room.

Last edited:
Are you hurt or are you injured? If you’re hurt, get back out there and play through it. If you’re injured, grab some bench. Three win teams don’t get the luxury of “load management”. At least that’s what my former coach would have said. That’s probably why we never were a 3-win team though. Someone down in Lincoln needs to replace the 10-ply Charmin Ultra Soft to Scott single-ply in the locker room.
You never won 3 games in a season? I'm sorry

Dirt, smelling salts or if it was really bad, the trainer would break out the cold spray.

I can’t believe Nebraska doesn’t invest in the soccer magic spray. Anytime it is used, the player pops right back up as good as new. :thumbsup:

d7474563-5f82-43de-bba0-0e63f7e0ffc5.jpeg

Wasn't Stepp injury prone at USC? I guess I better not hold my breath on our run game getting any better. :Banghead:
Screw that, it better get better, Stepp or not. There are a bevy of backs. Injuries happen to every team, deal and move onward. Opportunity knocks for someone else, step it up and seize the moment. There aren’t any excuses left.

Hard to argue. I suppose it’s just a different time, era now. Everything is magnified, x10. Nebraska has been soft, for a while. Not a lot of toughness. Get some toughness back, some nasty, and stop beating yourself, and you’ve got a 9, 10+ win team. It’s all been missing, but mostly, people just like to say NU has no talent. The talent can’t shine without the basics.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back