• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Injection?

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
Do you guys inject your meats before smoking them? I've been watching various BBQ shows, and it seems like many competitors DO inject. I had some pulled pork last weekend that had a great sweet flavor (not overpowering), and I figured it was due to an injection.

What say you? Some apple juice based injection for pork? A beef broth/stock injection for brisket?

I was a big fan of brining pork, but injection seems to work just as well and it takes a lot less time and mess. I haven't tried it with beef, but I don't think it would work well.

I mix up apple juice, cider vinegar, brown sugar and salt as my go to. Works well in chicken too.

I was a big fan of brining pork, but injection seems to work just as well and it takes a lot less time and mess. I haven't tried it with beef, but I don't think it would work well.

I mix up apple juice, cider vinegar, brown sugar and salt as my go to. Works well in chicken too.

Beef broth with cinnamon, and what ever rub you used...works great for beeg

Also use a orange juice for pork and cilantro

When purchasing a meat injector, try not to do it while the only other thing in your basket is sleep aid. The check out girl will never look at me the same. I turned and looked at her and said very loudly "OH MAN! I FORGOT THE CANDY!".

The guy behind me couldnt catch his breath from laughing, she however was not amused.

I like to use olive oil with spices, pulverized garlic, and a touch of liquid smoke in both beef and pork. Mmmmm good.

For pork butt, no. I go low and slowwwwwww and you really can't mess up a pork butt. My answer on everything else is also no, but I could see the value in some meats.

I did 2 racks of baby backs, 2 racks of St. Louis style spares, a pork butt and a whole turkey yesterday. I simply dry rubbed all the pork, and used a similar on the bird. I did inject the bird with butter, garlic, rosemary, a tiny bit of onion soup mix and cayenne. You have to magic bullet the crap out of the solids to make them fine enough to not clog the injector. With things like a turkey that can be dry no matter how careful you cook, I think an injection makes sense. Using butter just gives me a little fat substitute that areas like the breast need most of the time anyway.

Overall the meal turned out fantastic. I try a slightly different method on the ribs, and loved the improved texture. Previously they were just a little too tender, bordering on mushy. I want the meat on the bone right up until my teeth get a hold of it.

Smoked two whole chickens yesterday...covered it in kosher salt...came out juicy and had great apple flavor

I did hamburgers and natural casing hot dogs. 25 minutes with store-brand charcoal :droolsmiley:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back