• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Indiana thumbs it’s nose at B1G

But but but. You should have stopped when you said they got it right. I can't believe you can bitch about the decision making mistakes they made and then be upset that they didn't make another one. Get over it.
No offering the “Nebraska” example as proof of the inconsistency of their decision making and their complete and utter favoritism of their decision making process.

I do not believe I did. Hillary won the popular vote in ‘16. Should we change the rules after the election was completed to allow her to have won the presidency?

Rules are rules. You formulate strategies and actions based on the rules in place. Changing the rules to benefit one party over another in the midst of the contest are not ethical or moral.
You did. You’re saying the same thing I’m saying. You’re saying they got the rule wrong in the first place. You’re saying that Ohio State earned a trip to the conference championship game by being the best team in the division.

I guess the difference is you’re trying to stick with the point that they should not have changed their bad rule to make it right. And your rationale for that seems to be because it looks like favoritism, and “rules are rules”. What I think you need to strongly consider is that these rules were being made in the midst of a pandemic, in a situation that the conference and not faced before. I think some flexibility should be expected under the circumstances. The goal in the end is to get it right, which you stated that they did. I think you’re letting your anger at the conference for what they did to Nebraska and how they had messed this whole thing up in the first place affect your rationale. That’s why some of pointed out this pretty clearly looks like a case of sour grapes. It’s understandable. I agree with you that the conference pretty much blew everything this season. But I do think they got this one correction right. I guarantee you that if Nebraska and Northwestern we’re both undefeated, and we beat Northwestern head to head to clearly establish ourselves as the best team in the west, and then we were withheld from the conference championship game because COVID didn’t allow us to play enough games, you’d raise holy hell. And so would I. Because it would be wrong. Don’t let your distain for Ohio State or the conference cloud your judgment. That’s all I’m saying.

Last edited:
So you think IU should have played NW in the championship game? Now that would have been robbery.

C
That’s not what I said. Did you read it?

The rule was bad, but it was the rule. The league had to do something unfair to Indiana to change it, to put OSU in instead. The least they could have done was to acknowledge Indiana was treated poorly by trying to give them some kind of consolation prize. Changing the rules at the end of the season is no way to run a conference.

completely disagree. The B1G’s abrupt heel turn highlights their hypocrisy. They set up stupid rules, and should have to suffer the consequences of those stupid rules.
They made their bed, they should lie in it.
The problematic rule that would have kept OSU out if the title game is emblematic of the idiotic protocol they contrived, and the decision to abandon a perfectly good schedule with flexibility built in. The league looks like it’s leaderless.

This is stupid. Believing....or hoping.... negative consequences should come about (they made their bed, they should lie in it) is childish. What good does that do anyone? Makes Nebraska fans look like crybabies for no reason and on something that only has positive results for us.

Stupid? Childish? Rules, that are well thought out, allow us to function in a civilized society. What the B1G did was simply make it up on the fly. Why make any rules at all? Any stipulations?

The BIG is the one with egg on their face:

Season progressing as planned...​
...Belay that order! Season cancelled! Possibility of Myocarditis too great!​
Wait, we will have a season in Jan-Apr.... (NBA, NFL with strict protocols managing to play) (No myocarditis problems noted in the healthiest possible population on the planet)​
No, wait, it appears B12, ACC, and SEC are playing with (SURPRISE!) no apparent adverse effects from small outbreaks of Covid! We will have a season, but we will play for 8 straight weeks Oct 24- Dec x, because we are so damn smart, there won't be any games lost d/t COVID.​
Oh, wait! We lost a game to COVID?!? Pffttt.... Nebraska's point that we sould allow for OOC scheduling for make up games, in case conference teams in the playoff hunt need games, is dumb. What crybabies.​
Oh, Wait!!! Darling tOSU won't have enough games to qualify for the B1G CCG? Ummmm....we better CHANGE the rules, to accomodate our beloved.​
Oh, wait!!! tOSU will be without their best receiver due to our draconian (....and stupid) 21 day sit out rule? (NOT ONE MYOCARDITIS case reported in all of amateur or professional athletics, that I am aware of. I'm sure if there was, B1G would have touted it as validation of their insipid rules). Better change the rule to 17 days....just before the CFP semifinal!​

The B1G office should have ignored COVID and let the season progress unabated. Leave crowd attendance up to local Health Districts.

Since this is all water under the bridge, I'm cheering for tOSU. However, based on Kevin-19's rules, they shouldn't have been eligible for the CCG. therefore not likely the playoff.

If this season was only for tOSU to get to play, then why not just hand them B1G CC trophy in September, and save us all the time? (Thank god they didn't. We needed the entertainment)

Last edited:
You did. You’re saying the same thing I’m saying. You’re saying they got the rule wrong in the first place. You’re saying that Ohio State earned a trip to the conference championship game by being the best team in the division.

I guess the difference is you’re trying to stick with the point that they should not have changed their bad rule to make it right. And your rationale for that seems to be because it looks like favoritism, and “rules are rules”. What I think you need to strongly consider is that these rules were being made in the midst of a pandemic, in a situation that the conference and not faced before. I think some flexibility should be expected under the circumstances. The goal in the end is to get it right, which you stated that they did. I think you’re letting your anger at the conference for what they did to Nebraska and how they had messed this whole thing up in the first place affect your rationale. That’s why some of pointed out this pretty clearly looks like a case of sour grapes. It’s understandable. I agree with you that the conference pretty much blew everything this season. But I do think they got this one correction right. I guarantee you that if Nebraska and Northwestern we’re both undefeated, and we beat Northwestern head to head to clearly establish ourselves as the best team in the west, and then we were withheld from the conference championship game because COVID didn’t allow us to play enough games, you’d raise holy hell. And so would I. Because it would be wrong. Don’t let your distain for Ohio State or the conference cloud your judgment. That’s all I’m saying.
My issue is you can make the right decision for the wrong reasons ... which in my opinion is what happened here.

This isn’t an anger towards the B1G by their treatment of Nebraska (I personally think NU could’ve handled its side a little better with more tact and a touch more political savviness).

What concerns me throughout all this is that there has been little logic, common sense and consistency from the commissioner and his office throughout all of this. Barry Alvarez, head of the competition committee certainly got what was important to him ... a rematch of Minnesota game.

As it applies to NU ... how can you not look at NUs treatment before, after and during the pandemic and say they’ve been treated fairly? How can you not be suspicious of possible future situations not only involving NU but for the conference as a whole?

Last edited:
My issue is you can make the right decision for the wrong reasons ... which in my opinion is what happened here.

This isn’t an anger towards the B1G by their treatment of Nebraska (I personally think NU could’ve handled its side a little better with more tact and a touch more political savviness).

What concerns me throughout all this is that there has been little logic, common sense and consistency from the commissioner and his office throughout all of this. Barry Alvarez, head of the competition committee certainly got what was important to him ... a rematch of Minnesota game.

As it applies to NU ... how can you not look at NUs treatment before, after and during the pandemic and say they’ve been treated fairly? How can you not be suspicious of possible future situations not only involving NU but for the conference as a whole?
I agree with you about conference leadership, and about their treatment of Nebraska. Horrible leadership.

Stupid? Childish? Rules, that are well thought out, allow us to function in a civilized society. What the B1G did was simply make it up on the fly. Why make any rules at all? Any stipulations?

The BIG is the one with egg on their face:

Season progressing as planned...​
...Belay that order! Season cancelled! Possibility of Myocarditis too great!​
Wait, we will have a season in Jan-Apr.... (NBA, NFL with strict protocols managing to play) (No myocarditis problems noted in the healthiest possible population on the planet)​
No, wait, it appears B12, ACC, and SEC are playing with (SURPRISE!) no apparent adverse effects from small outbreaks of Covid! We will have a season, but we will play for 8 straight weeks Oct 24- Dec x, because we are so damn smart, there won't be any games lost d/t COVID.​
Oh, wait! We lost a game to COVID?!? Pffttt.... Nebraska's point that we sould allow for OOC scheduling for make up games, in case conference teams in the playoff hunt need games, is dumb. What crybabies.​
Oh, Wait!!! Darling tOSU won't have enough games to qualify for the B1G CCG? Ummmm....we better CHANGE the rules, to accomodate our beloved.​
Oh, wait!!! tOSU will be without their best receiver due to our draconian (....and stupid) 21 day sit out rule? (NOT ONE MYOCARDITIS case reported in all of amateur or professional athletics, that I am aware of. I'm sure if there was, B1G would have touted it as validation of their insipid rules). Better change the rule to 17 days....just before the CFP semifinal!​

The B1G office should have ignored COVID and let the season progress unabated. Leave crown attendance up to local Health Districts.

Since this is all water under the bridge, I'm cheering for tOSU. However, based on Kevin-19's rules, they shouldn't have been eligible for the CCG. therefore not likely the playoff.

If this season was only for tOSU to get to play, then why not just hand them B1G CC trophy in September, and save us all the time? (Thank god they didn't. We needed the entertainment)
Agreed on every point. One of the bigger points of arrogance was to decree no stadium could have fans. There are local health experts in a much better position to be making determinations like that. It’s the height of arrogance to ignore their role, and that’s what tipped the hand that this was an eminently politically driven protocol.

Whatever ... rather than address the point being made you both are being pedantic, argumentative and ignoring the thesis of the debate.

For the record:
Should tOSU have been in the B1G championship game? Were they one of the best team in conference? Answer to the question is yes.

Based on the rules set forth at the beginning of the season should have been in the CCG? Answer to the question is no.

But you’d rather argue inconsequential minutia than about facts!

So there is zero room to make adjustments during a year of a global pandemic? Okay.

C

That’s not what I said. Did you read it?

The rule was bad, but it was the rule. The league had to do something unfair to Indiana to change it, to put OSU in instead. The least they could have done was to acknowledge Indiana was treated poorly by trying to give them some kind of consolation prize. Changing the rules at the end of the season is no way to run a conference.

So that is what you are saying. You saying that they should not have changed the rule means IU would have played NW in the Championship game. And I don't understand what you mean by consolation prize, the B1G does not select the participants of the bowls.

C

I get that Indiana was disappointed at its bowl game invite. The best statement the Hoosiers could have made is to have taken Ole Mess behind the woodshed. That would have been a clear message, "we deserved a better bowl invite." Instead, IU reverted back to being, well, Indiana. Yes, I know QB Penix, Jr. was injured and that was a huge loss. However, his replacement played against Maryland (part of the game) and Wisconsin and was QB1 in bowl game practices. Win a few bowl games this century (0-4 before Outback Bowl against Mississippi) and perhaps the program will get the benefit of the doubt in the future. Lose 5 in a row and that's likely not going to happen.

So there is zero room to make adjustments during a year of a global pandemic? Okay.

C

Of course it's okay.

What's not OK is saying, "...this decision will not be revisited." Then revisiting it, reversing course, altering the rules on the fly to allow your darling eligibility.

The B1G was arrogant AF and tried to basically destroy athletic departments across the country, thinking all would fall in line with the B1G's wondrous intellect and nowledge

Absolutely. The conference had some of the worst leadership I’ve ever seen from a group of people who are supposedly intelligent individuals. It was a cluster from the moment they canceled the season. You’ll get no argument from me on that.
Intelligence and leadership are often not two traits found together......

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back