• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Indiana Analogy

Nope.

I wish we could have their winning percentage...even in their recent "down years." . I beg actually at this point. Lol

I believe I'm right in thinking that between 1962 and Frank Solich we never had a losing season. He had a .500 season the year before he was fired I believe. So for those of us in our 40's-50's-60's and 70's we've never known real mediocrity in NU football. Look at Alabama, USC, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas and a few other 'blue bloods' and you'll see a number of times where they had periods of little success and downright bad performances. We had none of that for over 40 years, but now we have endured quite a drop in any kind of sustained good performance for almost 20 years and it has almost become accepted by us. Talk with anyone in their 30's and they know little or nothing of our years of being at the top. Hell, Clemson was not much of anything even as recently as 2009-2010 when we beat them in the Gator Bowl. Dabo was just an assistant who had been promoted to head coach and Clemson had pretty much 'average talent'. I believe we will eventually work our way out of this and become relevant again but we cannot continue to live in the past. It eventually drains you of all appreciation of any small gains we make as we work our way back to any kind of being relevant.

I believe I'm right in thinking that between 1962 and Frank Solich we never had a losing season. He had a .500 season the year before he was fired I believe. So for those of us in our 40's-50's-60's and 70's we've never known real mediocrity in NU football. Look at Alabama, USC, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas and a few other 'blue bloods' and you'll see a number of times where they had periods of little success and downright bad performances. We had none of that for over 40 years, but now we have endured quite a drop in any kind of sustained good performance for almost 20 years and it has almost become accepted by us. Talk with anyone in their 30's and they know little or nothing of our years of being at the top. Hell, Clemson was not much of anything even as recently as 2009-2010 when we beat them in the Gator Bowl. Dabo was just an assistant who had been promoted to head coach and Clemson had pretty much 'average talent'. I believe we will eventually work our way out of this and become relevant again but we cannot continue to live in the past. It eventually drains you of all appreciation of any small gains we make as we work our way back to any kind of being relevant.

This is largely accurate and several here have tried to tell this same story to the most ardent critics of Callahan, Pelini, Riley and now Frost with little success. That stretch we had that ended on Callahan's watch was epic. The stuff of legend. I won't relive the drama surrounding Callahan/Pelini/Riley, but all of their failings were looked at as an injury to the brand that was 'Nebraska Football'. As you correctly state, that's in the past. The brand is gone.

We've now lost to Northern Illinois in 2017, Troy in 2018, Purdue in 2018 and 2019 and Illinois in 2020. This is not your fathers Nebraska football program. We hit bottom and we're digging out.

You're also correct in that the little improvements you, I and others have seen in recent years are meaningless because we shouldn't be losing to (insert any of the above).....because.....Nebraska.

We'll get back to really good football again. Might be pretty close to it in 2021. The same group that wasn't happy with Solich, Callahan, Pelini and Riley won't be happy until we're #1 again and that is what it is.

I'm still enjoying Nebraska football.

This is largely accurate and several here have tried to tell this same story to the most ardent critics of Callahan, Pelini, Riley and now Frost with little success. That stretch we had that ended on Callahan's watch was epic. The stuff of legend. I won't relive the drama surrounding Callahan/Pelini/Riley, but all of their failings were looked at as an injury to the brand that was 'Nebraska Football'. As you correctly state, that's in the past. The brand is gone.

We've now lost to Northern Illinois in 2017, Troy in 2018, Purdue in 2018 and 2019 and Illinois in 2020. This is not your fathers Nebraska football program. We hit bottom and we're digging out.

You're also correct in that the little improvements you, I and others have seen in recent years are meaningless because we shouldn't be losing to (insert any of the above).....because.....Nebraska.

We'll get back to really good football again. Might be pretty close to it in 2021. The same group that wasn't happy with Solich, Callahan, Pelini and Riley won't be happy until we're #1 again and that is what it is.

I'm still enjoying Nebraska football.
I still enjoy it also - at 77 yrs old, I still get choked up when I hear that Nebraska "fight song". I was on the first couple Devaney teams and it still can bring a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat GBR

I still enjoy it also - at 77 yrs old, I still get choked up when I hear that Nebraska "fight song". I was on the first couple Devaney teams and it still can bring a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat GBR

I'll admit work, travel, life, etc. got in the way and I wasn't able to attend a game in Lincoln from 1986 until 2018 and even having seen all or nearly all the games on TV in that span, I still got choked up entering the stadium, seeing the team run out onto the field, standing for the National Anthem, hearing the fight song. We having been very good lately, but it still winds me up.

GBR indeed.

I'll admit work, travel, life, etc. got in the way and I wasn't able to attend a game in Lincoln from 1986 until 2018 and even having seen all or nearly all the games on TV in that span, I still got choked up entering the stadium, seeing the team run out onto the field, standing for the National Anthem, hearing the fight song. We having been very good lately, but it still winds me up.

GBR indeed.

I was lucky enough to be in the stadium for Frost’s first victory (at home to boot) against Minny. The crowd was almost jubilant at the end of the game.

Hoping we get a lot more of those feel-good moments. Would be great for everybody.

I was lucky enough to be in the stadium for Frost’s first victory (at home to boot) against Minny. The crowd was almost jubilant at the end of the game.

Hoping we get a lot more of those feel-good moments. Would be great for everybody.

I was there as well.

It was my youngest sons first game in Lincoln. We were also there for the Northern Illinois won the next year. He’s convinced we’ll win ‘em all if we just show up to every game. Kidding. Sort of.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back