• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Indiana Analogy

I was there as well.

It was my youngest sons first game in Lincoln. We were also there for the Northern Illinois won the next year. He’s convinced we’ll win ‘em all if we just show up to every game. Kidding. Sort of.
Well, until that theory is proved wrong you and your son need to be there for every game.

I was there as well.

It was my youngest sons first game in Lincoln. We were also there for the Northern Illinois won the next year. He’s convinced we’ll win ‘em all if we just show up to every game. Kidding. Sort of.

The only other games I’ve been to in recent years was Riley’s win against Oregon and 2011 Iowa game (we won).

When do I get my free skybox?!

Last edited:

I think the analogy of Indiana Basketball being similar to Nebraska football is a very good one. Two blue blood programs that have not been on the elite level for quite some time. Indiana has had a few decent basketball season here and there, but nothing sustained.

The fan bases are very similar. Trust me I have a nephew on my wife's side that is an IU grad and he is a die hard IU basketball fan. Like many Nebraska fans, they think they are entitled to being good at basketball. It bothers them to know end to lose to a school like Nebraska in basketball. Just like it bothers Nebraska fans to no end to lost to Indiana in football.

I'll admit work, travel, life, etc. got in the way and I wasn't able to attend a game in Lincoln from 1986 until 2018 and even having seen all or nearly all the games on TV in that span, I still got choked up entering the stadium, seeing the team run out onto the field, standing for the National Anthem, hearing the fight song. We having been very good lately, but it still winds me up.

GBR indeed.
I haven't been to a Husker game since Dick Davis pounded Iowa State in 68-admittedly I've only seen a couple of games. saw orduna play on JV team and he threw his chin strap to my uncle-who gave it to me and it was on my helmet forever.
But still true to the Red despite the "flawed perfection" of the past 20 years. My wife leaves me alone when the game is on.

My wife leaves me alone when the game is on.

That's a good woman! My wife grew up with no interest in sports, and her father secluded himself to watch his Seminoles miss costly field goals. (Wide right!) As a result she thinks of me as a captive audience when I'm watching Nebraska, and something in her brain clicks, and she thinks, "Hey, this seems like a GREAT time to go over ideas for shopping for the kids, plans for rearranging the living room, my work schedule for next week, and anything that has made me feel bad in the past month!"

That's a good woman! My wife grew up with no interest in sports, and her father secluded himself to watch his Seminoles miss costly field goals. (Wide right!) As a result she thinks of me as a captive audience when I'm watching Nebraska, and something in her brain clicks, and she thinks, "Hey, this seems like a GREAT time to go over ideas for shopping for the kids, plans for rearranging the living room, my work schedule for next week, and anything that has made me feel bad in the past month!"
That's great. My wife used to watch the games with me when you would be watching actual quality football, now she just says "I'm sorry honey" as she walks by. She is a huge bills fan (from that area) and has known the agony of defeat.

Maybe even worse, pre-Snyder KSU.
No. Not even close. I was in grad school at KSU when the winless Wildcats played the winless Jayhawks to a 17-17 standoff in the "toilet bowl." Those teams were beyond awful. Those Stan Parrish-led KSU teams had a legitimate shot at winning a game maybe once a season. That would be against a team like Western Illinois and the odds still weren't in the Wildcats' favor. Part of what makes it frustrating to watch the Huskers play is what separates us from winning 7 or 8 games is lack of mental focus and atrocious special teams play. It's popular to pile on the team right now but very modest improvements in a couple of areas would significantly change the narrative.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back