• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

In Retrospect.

I don’t think he recruited DeAngelo Evans but he quit and was probably when healthy the best RB that played for him. Buckhalter wasn’t bad and the other bigger back that played with him who I can never remember both had decent careers and decent success in the NFL. Overall I don’t think he recruited the RB or QB position well. It is compounded when you had never before and can’t learn to call an offense.

Evans could have been great for us. Unfortunately, so many things were going wrong then that it's hard to pinpoint just a few. I still don't remember just how many Athletic Pubalgia cases we had, I suspect more than a couple of the assistants had lost some of the fire for recruiting and maybe weren't as motivated by Solich, and some of the programs around us had just flat out caught up on the things we did and surpassed us....
Wonder what would have happened if Crawford had come here? Hard to blame him - saw he has a net worth of 65M somewhere and it might be higher based on that last contract he got.

Interesting thought for me on the Newcombe/Crouch debate. Where are they in Frost's offense?

I think Crouch plays Duck-R position and Newcombe plays WR. Having 2 guys like that in space with a QB who could get them the ball would be terrifying for most defenses!

You probably are thinking of Dan Alexander. Dan was NU's version of Ron Dayne. Great against under-sized - even the faster - defenses that cannot put enough muscle on target to stop him head on running off tackle. But not fast enough against teams with brutal defenders. Not a bad guy to have in your stable of backs. Just not usually the all arounder type that will get you the championship. But clearly the guy that can get you 80% of the way.

Buckhalter was underutilized at NU. He was much better than they gave him credit. But the professionals had no problem recognizing his strengths.

There is running top speed and then there is acceleration. Dan had pretty amazing all around strength, but he wasn't the fastest. The fact that once he got going he was difficult to bring down added to his mystique. But, yeah, he did have some exciting moments trying to hold on to the rock and trying to clear his feet over those white lines.

There is running top speed and then there is acceleration. Dan had pretty amazing all around strength, but he wasn't the fastest. The fact that once he got going he was difficult to bring down added to his mystique. But, yeah, he did have some exciting moments trying to hold on to the rock and trying to clear his feet over those white lines.
Like a Charger with a 383. Or a Chrysler New yorker with a 440. Both will do 160+ but the charger will get there a lot quicker.

You probably are thinking of Dan Alexander. Dan was NU's version of Ron Dayne. Great against under-sized - even the faster - defenses that cannot put enough muscle on target to stop him head on running off tackle. But not fast enough against teams with brutal defenders. Not a bad guy to have in your stable of backs. Just not usually the all arounder type that will get you the championship. But clearly the guy that can get you 80% of the way.

Buckhalter was underutilized at NU. He was much better than they gave him credit. But the professionals had no problem recognizing his strengths.
Dahrran Diedrick?

Don't watch this if you obsess over FULLBACKS actually blocking!

Dahrran Diedrick was pretty darn good. I don't think anyone failed to recognize his abilities. Sure it would have been nice to see him start sooner, but he did shine.

Last edited:
watching those highlight videos made me proud to be husker fan and then a little sad at how far we've fallen, but ended with the assurance that we have one of the greatest young minds in the game steering the ship.
GBR!!!

I don’t think he recruited DeAngelo Evans but he quit and was probably when healthy the best RB that played for him. Buckhalter wasn’t bad and the other bigger back that played with him who I can never remember both had decent careers and decent success in the NFL. Overall I don’t think he recruited the RB or QB position well. It is compounded when you had never before and can’t learn to call an offense.

dan alexander had great straight away speed, as he outraced that colorado db to the endzone for 75+ yd, but he was not shifty, like ahman green, or any of our usual stable of I-backs. He was a hammer, and a fumbler, but I really liked him. 250 lb I-back
Nobody has mentioned that Dan Alexander was recruited by Osborne to be a super fast Fullback. Solich converted him to I-back because we had Makovicka for '98 plus Willie Miller in the same year class. Every criticism about him NOT being shifty, etc., becomes meaningless if he's blowing up LBs with blocks on Iso plays before running straight ahead with incredible speed for a FB on the Traps and Dives. He also would have been an excellent hammer as a RB in the Ace formation. I also think that Frost wouldn't mind having his clone for this fall to run between the tackles.

As for Buckhalter, he was an NFL RB. How spoiled were/are we that he was somehow a disappointment because he followed Ahman Green? That's kind of crazy, folks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back