• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

In Over Their Heads

I was referring to line managers or assistant coaches, in this case. My point was, in this business, the leader should always be evaluating the fit of not only players, but his staff.

No doubt about that. But he should also take into account what the actual cause of a team’s or a subset of a team’s problems. For example, is the o-line struggling because of bad coaching? Or is it because of young inexperienced players, coupled with the lack of “weapons” available to the offense, resulting in defenses not having to defend the whole field. Are wide receivers not stepping up because of bad coaching, or is it something else.

Very, very few people are in a position to make those judgments. That makes it very difficult to second guess any decisions that SF has not even made yet regarding assistant coaches.

But I do agree that SF should be having these kinds of evaluations and discussions with his staff on a continual basis. I’m as concerned as everyone else about the current product on the field. But I also know that we still have five more games to go. (Unfortunately, we also have several of our key playmakers hurt or out right now. This team is in dire need of depth.)

No doubt about that. But he should also take into account what the actual cause of a team’s or a subset of a team’s problems. For example, is the o-line struggling because of bad coaching? Or is it because of young inexperienced players, coupled with the lack of “weapons” available to the offense, resulting in defenses not having to defend the whole field. Are wide receivers not stepping up because of bad coaching, or is it something else.

Very, very few people are in a position to make those judgments. That makes it very difficult to second guess any decisions that SF has not even made yet regarding assistant coaches.

But I do agree that SF should be having these kinds of evaluations and discussions with his staff on a continual basis. I’m as concerned as everyone else about the current product on the field. But I also know that we still have five more games to go. (Unfortunately, we also have several of our key playmakers hurt or out right now. This team is in dire need of depth.)

Lots of football to go.

C

How many assistants did TO fire during his career?

How about Devaney?

Just curious.

Very few, if any. Devaney had the same assistants the entire time and for the most part, TO did too. I'm not sure if the ones that weren't there the whole time were firings or if they moved on to other jobs. The biggest changes made were the players. When he couldn't beat the Floridea teams, TO started recruiting smaller, faster athletes to compete with the speed those Florida teams had. That change yielded 3 national championships in 4 years. Oh, and Tommie Frazier was there too.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back