• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

In Over Their Heads

Have you done much coaching? It’s not some 8-5 job sitting in a cubicle, it’s your life, your family’s life, and you darn well better get along well if you hope to have long term, consistent success.

Alabama is the last model you want to point out because of their recruiting, and business model (firing kids who don’t meet expectations). If they have a 4 or 5 star who isn’t panning out, they fire him, and recruit another 4 or 5 star. If we have a higher ranked recruit not panning out, we continue to try to develop them, and deal with the challenge of trying to find a better guy to replace him.
Alabama knows it is a business into the millions being invested and spent. I would say they do have a decent business model

Very true but I also know that UCF was way better than that one undefeated season and I also know that the AAC is nowhere close to the B1G. In the 6 years before 0-12 UCF had only one losing season and three seasons with 10 or more wins. It is more than likely that some of the staff from UCF is not cutting it, glad I am not the one who has to make those decisions.

62014American940.6921.98-4.95George O'Leary (9-4)St. Petersburg Bowl-L
72013American1210.9238.42-2.961010George O'Leary (12-1)Fiesta Bowl-W
82012CUSA1040.7146.65-3.78George O'Leary (10-4)Beef O'Brady's Bowl-W
92011CUSA570.417-1.80-4.80George O'Leary (5-7)
102010CUSA1130.7865.79-6.002121George O'Leary (11-3)Liberty Bowl-W
112009CUSA850.615-0.75-2.44George O'Leary (8-5)St. Petersburg Bowl-L

I’m not sure what you’re suggesting by saying they are way better than 1 undefeated season. One would expect a team to have success after a season like that, unless the entire roster turned over. As for quality of conference, there aren’t many coaches ‘born’ into a conference. Most gain experience in multiple conferences during their careers. Also, this notion the B1G is something magical is kind of comical. You may recall we laughed at the B1G’s bowl results most years we were in the Big 8-12. Lastly, while we know some of the seasons and or teams the AAC produces wouldn’t fare well in the B1G, but how many of the teams in Frost’s last UCF season would want to play teams like Memphis, UCF USF or even FAU? We can be cocky all we like, but the reality was, those teams were scary.

I’m happy we have some pretty sharp people in the position to make decisions like this, especially if they believe in letting the staff mature together.

Alabama knows it is a business into the millions being invested and spent. I would say they do have a decent business model
It’s fine, but it certainly doesn’t put the needs of the student athlete at an elevated status. Those players truly are assets, livestock if you will.

Alabama is like any other program, poor change of leadership whether that be the HC or AD and Alabama will sink like the Titanic.

Last edited:

It’s fine, but it certainly doesn’t put the needs of the student athlete at an elevated status. Those players truly are assets, livestock if you will.
nor do the athletes think of the team when they decide to leave early. Again business and everyone is going to do for their end of it that works best for them

I’m not sure what you’re suggesting by saying they are way better than 1 undefeated season. One would expect a team to have success after a season like that, unless the entire roster turned over. As for quality of conference, there aren’t many coaches ‘born’ into a conference. Most gain experience in multiple conferences during their careers. Also, this notion the B1G is something magical is kind of comical. You may recall we laughed at the B1G’s bowl results most years we were in the Big 8-12. Lastly, while we know some of the seasons and or teams the AAC produces wouldn’t fare well in the B1G, but how many of the teams in Frost’s last UCF season would want to play teams like Memphis, UCF USF or even FAU? We can be cocky all we like, but the reality was, those teams were scary.

I’m happy we have some pretty sharp people in the position to make decisions like this, especially if they believe in letting the staff mature together.

I meant non win, the team he inherited was much better than that one fluke season.

I am just saying that I hope SF is able to evaluate his staff and make changes if necessary instead of falling victim to unnecessary loyalty.

C

I meant non win, the team he inherited was much better than that one fluke season.

I am just saying that I hope SF is able to evaluate his staff and make changes if necessary instead of falling victim to unnecessary loyalty.

C

I’d hope that he’d let guys have the chance to develop, and not get caught up in a revolving door situation, reducing the cohesion of the staff. Unless we have someone being a douche, or simply not doing what they are told, I don’t think you get too crazy after this year. And for those continually making absurd comments about the dangers of hiring friends, it’s far more risky hiring total strangers.

Very true but I also know that UCF was way better than that one non win season and I also know that the AAC is nowhere close to the B1G. In the 6 years before 0-12 UCF had only one losing season and three seasons with 10 or more wins. It is more than likely that some of the staff from UCF is not cutting it, glad I am not the one who has to make those decisions.

62014American940.6921.98-4.95George O'Leary (9-4)St. Petersburg Bowl-L
72013American1210.9238.42-2.961010George O'Leary (12-1)Fiesta Bowl-W
82012CUSA1040.7146.65-3.78George O'Leary (10-4)Beef O'Brady's Bowl-W
92011CUSA570.417-1.80-4.80George O'Leary (5-7)
102010CUSA1130.7865.79-6.002121George O'Leary (11-3)Liberty Bowl-W
112009CUSA850.615-0.75-2.44George O'Leary (8-5)St. Petersburg Bowl-L

How is it more than likely?

The “something” that needs to be done is for fans to cool their jets. Unless someone is close enough to the program to be seeing practices, team meetings, and film study with the players and coaches AND have substantial coaching experience at a significant level, they are not qualified to make judgments regarding staff hiring and firing.

Further, this “immediate gratification” mentality will not make the program better. We need stability in the program, not more instability.
Enough of the “immediate gratification” crap, super fans. No one is asking for a national championship this year, next year, or the next. We want to see the progress that other programs are demonstrating. It’s cute you think this isn’t a major multi-million dollar industry. News flash: it is. If you have a real job, you know that if a manager isn’t getting it done, 2 years is plenty of time to evaluate and replace.

Enough of the “immediate gratification” crap, super fans. No one is asking for a national championship this year, next year, or the next. We want to see the progress that other programs are demonstrating. It’s cute you think this isn’t a major multi-million dollar industry. News flash: it is. If you have a real job, you know that if a manager isn’t getting it done, 2 years is plenty of time to evaluate and replace.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the kind of person you don’t want anywhere near your football program. He would replace your coaching staff every two years until he hit the magic coaching lottery. Thank God for contracts and lawyers to protect us from this kind of foolishness.

:nod:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the kind of person you don’t want anywhere near your football program. He would replace your coaching staff every two years until he hit the magic coaching lottery. Thank God for contracts and lawyers to protect us from this kind of foolishness.

:nod:
I was referring to line managers or assistant coaches, in this case. My point was, in this business, the leader should always be evaluating the fit of not only players, but his staff.

I’d hope that he’d let guys have the chance to develop, and not get caught up in a revolving door situation, reducing the cohesion of the staff. Unless we have someone being a douche, or simply not doing what they are told, I don’t think you get too crazy after this year. And for those continually making absurd comments about the dangers of hiring friends, it’s far more risky hiring total strangers.

I agree on not doing it unless obvious. It was obvious when MR let go of Hank Hughes and he made a great hire. He hung on to Reed one year to long and those were obvious deficiencies. Not sure about hiring total strangers, SF has been in the business a fair amount of time and definitely has lots of contacts, acquaintances, and friends throughout college and NFL. I understand your point though. I am sure every coach has to reach out beyond friends. I know his connection to Chins, Verduzco, Austin, and Held. Beckton and Fisher he asked to stay on from the previous staff and no other connections that I know of. Well maybe he played with Fisher. He and Dewitt missed each other by one year at N. Iowa but Chins and Dewitt where both there in 09. So a mix and maybe it is a really good one that will be very successful at NU. Still lots of football to be played this year.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back