• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

In Over Their Heads

I am wondering if maybe going super fast in practice and not taking the time to coach then and instead opting to coach in the meeting rooms is having an adverse effect. When SF and some assistants talked to that last year it did get my attention.

C
Wasn't that how Callahan coached and it was a disaster. I didn't know Frost coached that way too. I don't like that approach.

How about we pump the brakes a little on making staff changes? Sometimes you can coach 'em up 'til the cows come home, and they still make you shake your head. Maybe those 3- and 4-star guys that looked so good against HS competition just aren't cut out for big boy football. Vince Lombardi and his staff could coach the Bad News Bears (the pee wee team, that is) for years, and they would never be ready for the NFL.

Edit: and I don't mean to throw our current players under the bus either. The B1G is a tough league with no easy outs (except RU). It's tough to rebuild a team from the ground up, when all your opponents are improving as well -- and they already had a head start.

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone is in over the heads. However they are still learning. Had an interesting discussion with an ex-player yesterday who has also had a couple of sons play. You figure out who it is.....but he gave me a real time perspective of some of the learning challenges this team is facing due to coaching issues. All of us need to put in perspective what is right in front of us. The performance of this team is unfortunately primarily coaching. There are some personnel issues that that are preventing us from prevailing at our capacity but right now the reason we seem to be broken down at almost every player position is coaching and accountability. Accountability is on HCSF. They will get better and it might take some coaching changes but SF has to get better in holding players accountable on and off the field. He can't just talk the talk of culture change. He might need more sweeping changes.

The best example is Maurice Washington. Retaining him on the team has gone against everything the SF culture was meant to do and has had an affect on a lot of other players perspective. The bottom line is fellow players are saying to themselves that if a guy can have all that legal trouble, miss classes and show up smelling like pot to everything he does and get away with it...…..why should I have to follow the rules. There are similar examples spread across this team both on and off the field. Right now this staff is tip toeing across a very rocky ledge trying to balance players who still haven't bought in and their need to keep depth on the roster.
I think I know who you are talking about and his name rhymes with handairous.

Even TO made exceptions to rules for talent. I remember seeing Doug DuBose driving a 300ZX on campus. Supposedly his dad, a truck driver leased it for him.;)

Its a bit of a leap to blame where this team is at almost exclusively on coaching.

Wasn't that how Callahan coached and it was a disaster. I didn't know Frost coached that way too. I don't like that approach.
Well...it seemed to work for Scott at UCF and the Oregon team before that, so...

I will say, it is a different philosophy to practicing, but I like it. If I could do this at the high school level, I would, but we are really limited how much time we can spend in the film room. One last note...there are still corrections being made if they can be done quickly, but they avoid stopping the entire practice for 5 minutes when it can be done in a more constructive, concise manner in the film room. It's not all or nothing. But I love the idea of doubling the number of reps in practice as this gets everyone involved.

Last edited:

I think I know who you are talking about and his name rhymes with handairous.

Even TO made exceptions to rules for talent. I remember seeing Doug DuBose driving a 300ZX on campus. Supposedly his dad, a truck driver leased it for him.;)

Its a bit of a leap to blame where this team is at almost exclusively on coaching.
While I was attending NU I got a ride from Ricky Simmons [1980-83] after some night class who was driving a 280 ZX type car. He said it was his girlfriends.

Last edited:
MR fired his DL coach after the first year and brought in John Parrella. He then got rid of Reed in 2016 who had been with him for a long time. Those moves were applauded as the right things to do and it was obvious the DL benefited from the first move.

Bo was very loyal to assistants and I feel that nepotism was one of his faults.

It is okay for a coach to evaluate his staff every year and make changes when needed, but the coach has to be willing to make those changes.

C

Tell me how many friends you have fired and remand friends? The talk is cheap.
Have you done much coaching? It’s not some 8-5 job sitting in a cubicle, it’s your life, your family’s life, and you darn well better get along well if you hope to have long term, consistent success.

Alabama is the last model you want to point out because of their recruiting, and business model (firing kids who don’t meet expectations). If they have a 4 or 5 star who isn’t panning out, they fire him, and recruit another 4 or 5 star. If we have a higher ranked recruit not panning out, we continue to try to develop them, and deal with the challenge of trying to find a better guy to replace him.

MR fired his DL coach after the first year and brought in John Parrella. He then got rid of Reed in 2016 who had been with him for a long time. Those moves were applauded as the right things to do and it was obvious the DL benefited from the first move.

Bo was very loyal to assistants and I feel that nepotism was one of his faults.

It is okay for a coach to evaluate his staff every year and make changes when needed, but the coach has to be willing to make those changes.

C

I don’t believe Riley brought his entire staff that had just completed a revamp of a program, culminating with an undefeated season, but I may have missed something.

Have you done much coaching? It’s not some 8-5 job sitting in a cubicle, it’s your life, your family’s life, and you darn well better get along well if you hope to have long term, consistent success.
So are you a college coach or pro-level coach? How do you know what it takes?

I don’t believe Riley brought his entire staff that had just completed a revamp of a program, culminating with an undefeated season, but I may have missed something.

Very true but I also know that UCF was way better than that one non win season and I also know that the AAC is nowhere close to the B1G. In the 6 years before 0-12 UCF had only one losing season and three seasons with 10 or more wins. It is more than likely that some of the staff from UCF is not cutting it, glad I am not the one who has to make those decisions.

62014American940.6921.98-4.95George O'Leary (9-4)St. Petersburg Bowl-L
72013American1210.9238.42-2.961010George O'Leary (12-1)Fiesta Bowl-W
82012CUSA1040.7146.65-3.78George O'Leary (10-4)Beef O'Brady's Bowl-W
92011CUSA570.417-1.80-4.80George O'Leary (5-7)
102010CUSA1130.7865.79-6.002121George O'Leary (11-3)Liberty Bowl-W
112009CUSA850.615-0.75-2.44George O'Leary (8-5)St. Petersburg Bowl-L

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back