• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

In Defense of Scott Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK, we all know what success looks like. You lose a top RB for much of the year with a primarily running offense, and go to a freshman on towards a natty.
Whats two deep been like? At TE? WR? RB? O line? D line? LB? even D backfield?
People say we had talent, but why are so many ahead of us on the Big team, nfl draft etc etc?
So, look who was coming up behind them?

People say, it doesnt matter who iowa loses, wiscy loses, NW loses, and yes, much of it is coaching, as in known consistent coaching, which we havnt had.
People say, those guys on those teams are guys we could have gotten, while thats true, they got two or three, we got two or three , one didnt pan out to his 'ratings' at times, and many more left, more than at wiscy, iowa , NW.

Now, pit this over time, its a slow degrading, your depth disappears,and your overall level of play does as well.

If we're using draft picks as a barometer, the fact that the entire Big 12 conference had zero first round picks might tell us something about the level of competition Campbell is facing.

But it really is irrelevant. What one coach does at one school doesn't necessarily translate to what happens elsewhere. If it did, the Huskers would have a much better record under Frost because he went 13-0 at UCF.
I agree, somewhat. Maybe the Big 12 sucks, I don’t know, but I think there are some good teams in the big 12, certainly every bit as good as the West division. Yes, things happen differently at different schools, but continuous losing isnt a recipe for success. A bad ass coach wins, even if the hand dealt isn’t that great. Hell, I’m as guilty as anyone with Frost, but I also believe winning has to start. If the name wasn’t Frost, most would be all over him, if we’re being honest. Whatever the reason(s) for lack of wins, it has to change, I’d think most everyone could agree with that.

Different conference, different environment, different pressures, different media market. Campbell is a very good coach. That does not mean he would do any better than Frost in Lincoln.
I suppose, but if you can coach and lead, generally, it will show in the results. And I’m not saying Scott can’t coach. I think he can, but too much talking did him no favors whatsoever.

"Talent cupboard was pretty bare." Yes, particularly willing talent. (NFL talent is one measuring stick, but lots of college production doesn't translate to the League. The Huskers previously put equal/greater players in the NFL while running schemes that were for a different type of game. The past few years before Frost, we had recruited for & run a very NFL-friendly style, which should have resulted in an uptick in draft picks if talent were the same or improving).

"Scott Frost is a good coach." Yes.

"Other coaches have done better turnarounds." Yes.

#3 does not negate #1 or #2. I've firmly been of the opinion Frost needed to change a few things, but also that most of the criticism is very low-level whining that's completely ignorant of a number of things Frost has to balance, including some things very specific to Nebraska. Scott has very clearly made some adaptations, and there are signs that things are improving.

The talent improvement from Frost's first year to this year is palpable. Still needs to be proved on the field, but there are legitimate, non-Kool Aid reasons for optimism.

Scott Frost inherited a nearly empty cupboard. That's not a new thought, but I think some of us are realizing just how empty the cupboard was. Nebraska had only two players drafted this year in the NFL draft, and that put us tied for last (with Illinois, Minnesota and Purdue) in the Big Ten West. Each of the other Big Ten West teams had either three or four players drafted. Moreover, Nebraska's draft picks were late round picks, while Northwestern (of all teams) had two first round picks. Nebraska's draft performance the prior couple of years was also underwhelming, with only two picks (the Davis brothers) in 2020 and NO picks in 2019. Believe it or not, the last time we had a player drafted higher than in the 5th round was in 2016. That statistic astounded me when I saw it. In light of that, it shouldn't be terribly surprising that Nebraska has struggled on the football field since Frost got here.

Fast forward to this year, and it is clear that the team is significantly more talented than it has been. The offensive and defensive lines are visibly better and we appear to have a wealth of talent at the running back and wide receiver positions. That talent is admittedly unproven, but I saw a lot to like at those positions in the spring game. And we also appear to have a strong secondary and a much deeper linebacking corps than we have had in recent years.

I still have some concerns. For example, Smothers and Haarberg don't appear to me to be ready yet if Adrian goes down, and it frustrates me to no end that Honas is out until at least mid-season. (For God's sake, for once can we have a spring without a significant injury?!) Nevertheless, I think there is reason to feel optimistic about this team. The schedule is brutal, but I am looking forward to seeing how the team plays against the strong competition it will face.
I think everything you said was right, my main issue is with how young our program continues to be after 4 years of the same staff. I know COVID is an issue, it’s also an issue for other teams. The transfer portal is an issue, but it’s also an issue for other teams. If you don’t fix the problems of why young kids continue to want to leave, we will just continue to spin our wheels.

Different conference, different environment, different pressures, different media market. Campbell is a very good coach. That does not mean he would do any better than Frost in Lincoln.
So tired of the Campbell horn sounding. If we go for a new coach, we better darn well shoot for the stars. Campbell is shooting for the mountain tops, and that’s best case scenario in my opinion.

I think everything you said was right, my main issue is with how young our program continues to be after 4 years of the same staff. I know COVID is an issue, it’s also an issue for other teams. The transfer portal is an issue, but it’s also an issue for other teams. If you don’t fix the problems of why young kids continue to want to leave, we will just continue to spin our wheels.

Those are very fair and valid criticisms. Let's hope that's been rectified.

I wonder how other settled teams, with coaches long established, depth long set etc, how the covid effects are going to treat such programs, as those staffs have to adjust more than normal.
It showed some teams with very good recruiting simply werent ready to play last year, now, their entire teams are off projections as well this year.
There possibly could be some carry over to some teams this year.

Our players mentioned how the older players werent used as often in practices etc leaving more for the younger players, of which we have a lot.
Some said in the spring game thread theyd like to have seen more of the 1 on 1s with full tackling, but it appears the staff is giving every opportunity to our young and talented guys as they can, knowing what they have in the older players.

Was this a good move by SF and staff? Will other more established teams be doing the same, or continue on as they always have?

This year is the payoff year, no doubt about it

It started weird. Lightning/rainout game 1, covid, and other things. Most have had to deal with something, it’s not just Nebraska. Have to overcome obstacles.

I don't disagree. There are a lot of things that are self-inflicted for sure. But it would be nice just to catch one break early in a season to get things rolling a bit.

It started weird. Lightning/rainout game 1, covid, and other things. Most have had to deal with something, it’s not just Nebraska. Have to overcome obstacles.
Absolutely correct, but how well Frost handles them hasn't exactly been a slam dunk. I guess it's just hard to see the team still struggling when expectations were so high. We have a tough schedule this year but a few bad losses (blow outs or just sloppy uninspired play) may well spell doom for this coaching staff.

"Talent cupboard was pretty bare." Yes, particularly willing talent. (NFL talent is one measuring stick, but lots of college production doesn't translate to the League. The Huskers previously put equal/greater players in the NFL while running schemes that were for a different type of game. The past few years before Frost, we had recruited for & run a very NFL-friendly style, which should have resulted in an uptick in draft picks if talent were the same or improving).

"Scott Frost is a good coach." Yes.

"Other coaches have done better turnarounds." Yes.

#3 does not negate #1 or #2. I've firmly been of the opinion Frost needed to change a few things, but also that most of the criticism is very low-level whining that's completely ignorant of a number of things Frost has to balance, including some things very specific to Nebraska. Scott has very clearly made some adaptations, and there are signs that things are improving.

The talent improvement from Frost's first year to this year is palpable. Still needs to be proved on the field, but there are legitimate, non-Kool Aid reasons for optimism.
Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back