• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

In Defense of Scott Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Really struggle with the “empty cupboard he inherited just look at the draft picks” narrative. Weren’t our only two draft picks for 2020 on the OL but we are saying we are better at that position than we have ever been in 2021 and we “finally look like a B1G OL?” So do draft picks really matter for a barometer then? What happens if guys like Roberts, Bell, and Domann get drafted this coming year? Illinois, Indiana, and Purdue have the same or less draft picks as us the last three years but are beating us. What about Troy? Northwestern has had the same amount of draft picks the last three years as Nebraska and they’ve won the division twice in that timeframe.

Even Ohio State will tell you they can always use more talent, but lack of talent isn’t the reason we haven’t made a bowl the last three seasons. Lack of draft picks heading into season 4 of a coach is more an indictment when there’s articles from 2019 about how well he flipped the roster.
I really appreciate you saying this. Its like we are stuck in a time warp: no one will admit we aren't developing players. We keep blaming Riley (who I agreed sucked, but seemingly is just as good or better than Frost).

Why are you ignoring context?
Here, I win if you agree.
Was TO a better coach in 97 than in 95?

All I've been saying is, coaches grow and get better,what worked yesterday does work today etc
Hell I don’t know. Was TO a better coach in 96 then he was in 94 or 95? That wasn’t the context I was discussing. Saying he went 13-0 and saying he’s going to end up being a better coach in the future is arguable. Yes every coach should learn over the years. Relatively speaking are they getting better at a rate faster then their competition. And they get judged by their record. Highly questionable that he will be better than 13-0.

Riley may have gained more talent but it wasn't significantly more. What Riley also "gained" was a team full of players that loved Bo Pelini and were pissed off at his firing. Did you ever hear Riley complain about the culture? SF got a team that should have been all in when he took over after going undefeated and being named coach of the year but I know for some it easier to call the Riley players a bunch of lazy malcontents that couldn't even find the weight room with a map. Funny how those same players continued to play and were some of the most productive on the team.
No hold on when FHCBP was fired players were pissed. FHCMR comes in and no he didn't complain about culture or anything elae His culture was buddy buddy and ice cream. So old players IMPO were more than likely thinking well we will ride this wave get my degree and get out. The lazy sets in and you see what happened.

HCSF comes in with a if you dont like it leave this is how things are going to be and the mass exdous starts due to the previous culture. That has slowed the progress.

Dont get me wrong HCSF has made his fair share of mistakes. First power 5 job i kinda expected a rocky start.

Last edited:
Hell I don’t know. Was TO a better coach in 96 then he was in 94 or 95? That wasn’t the context I was discussing. Saying he went 13-0 and saying he’s going to end up being a better coach in the future is arguable. Yes every coach should learn over the years. Relatively speaking are they getting better at a rate faster then their competition. And they get judged by their record. Highly questionable that he will be better than 13-0.
13and 0 doesnt speak to how good a coach is at the time vs later, as coaches do grow and learn, but sometimes luck, going for two, and players have a greater say.
TO got better, and put luck far down the list when it came to winning.
He changed, and his talent was as much defense as it was offense

Last edited:
I'd love for Fleck to be a one hit wonder. I can't stand the guy and bandwagon Gopher fans are insufferable. Texas Iowa too while we are at it and the rest of the conference. I want to win so badly so I can rub their noses in crap and remind them who their wives fantasize about and who their kids call hero.

HERE is the Frank that I know and love! Nothing warms the cockles of my heart like destroying our enemies and hearing the lamentations of their women. On a related note, there is nothing worse than cold cockles.

The narrative that the cupboard was empty isn’t completely inaccurate. The first year was a pleasant surprise when a couple senior offensive linemen stepped up and Ziggy turned it on. We are and have been young on the offensive line the last couple years. Jurgens was a 245lb tight end three years ago. Of course it took him two seasons of starting to start looking like a legitimate center. Bernhardt and Piper shouldn’t have had two start as redshirt freshman. That’s a lack of recruiting good offensive linemen. Frost isn’t without blame. He’s had two seasons and a Covid year. I do have concerns as do many others but I also understand how bad this team has been for 10 years. The team was sliding under Pelini and Riley drove it right into the ground. I do find it funny that the same people who argued that NFL draft picks don’t matter that much are now using that as their own barometer. Frost might not get it done. I don’t know one way or the other. I just finally feel like there is talent there to take a stepp forward. Shouldn’t have taken so long to get the receivers and running backs but I believe we might finally have a few. Some of you take this stuff to personal. Here’s something to think about. No one on this board is a college football coach. A few may have coached high school ball or played a little in college. We are all allowed to have an opinion but the constant whining gets old. Always from the same posters. Strength and conditioning has been talked about through four coaching staffs. If the people talking about it knew so much why aren’t they teaching strength and conditioning somewhere. Just tired of the football forum. See you all in the fall! GBR!!!

They’re going to be missing me when I’m gone. Who knew it was going to be a somewhat prophetic comment that came out of Bo’s mouth that Saturday against Ohio State.
I Miss the Bo from 2008, 2009, 2010, when he was hungry. The Bo now, not so much. I miss his record. 9+ wins per. Hell, given where NU is currently, who wouldn’t miss it?

The narrative that the cupboard was empty isn’t completely inaccurate. The first year was a pleasant surprise when a couple senior offensive linemen stepped up and Ziggy turned it on. We are and have been young on the offensive line the last couple years. Jurgens was a 245lb tight end three years ago. Of course it took him two seasons of starting to start looking like a legitimate center. Bernhardt and Piper shouldn’t have had two start as redshirt freshman. That’s a lack of recruiting good offensive linemen. Frost isn’t without blame. He’s had two seasons and a Covid year. I do have concerns as do many others but I also understand how bad this team has been for 10 years. The team was sliding under Pelini and Riley drove it right into the ground. I do find it funny that the same people who argued that NFL draft picks don’t matter that much are now using that as their own barometer. Frost might not get it done. I don’t know one way or the other. I just finally feel like there is talent there to take a stepp forward. Shouldn’t have taken so long to get the receivers and running backs but I believe we might finally have a few. Some of you take this stuff to personal. Here’s something to think about. No one on this board is a college football coach. A few may have coached high school ball or played a little in college. We are all allowed to have an opinion but the constant whining gets old. Always from the same posters. Strength and conditioning has been talked about through four coaching staffs. If the people talking about it knew so much why aren’t they teaching strength and conditioning somewhere. Just tired of the football forum. See you all in the fall! GBR!!!

Riley brought in the Davis brothers, Stanley Morgan, Brendan Jaimes, Lamar Jackson, Matt Farniok, Dicaprio Bootle, and I'm sure others who escape me right now who were drafted or signed as UDFA in the NFL. All of those returning seniors using their extra year of eligibility cue to covid last year that we are excited to have back like Stille, Domann, etc are Riley recruits. Riley recruited Tyjon Lindsey, Avery Roberts, Tristan Gebbia, Patrick Obrien, etc who all started for different schools last year. He was in it to the end with Bookie and other highly rated recruits the year he was fired. Even though I don't agree the cupboard was bare, if one were to think that it would have more to do with the coaching change than Riley's ineptness, IMO.

Riley brought in the Davis brothers, Stanley Morgan, Brendan Jaimes, Lamar Jackson, Matt Farniok, Dicaprio Bootle, and I'm sure others who escape me right now who were drafted or signed as UDFA in the NFL. All of those returning seniors using their extra year of eligibility cue to covid last year that we are excited to have back like Stille, Domann, etc are Riley recruits. Riley recruited Tyjon Lindsey, Avery Roberts, Tristan Gebbia, Patrick Obrien, etc who all started for different schools last year. He was in it to the end with Bookie and other highly rated recruits the year he was fired. Even though I don't agree the cupboard was bare, if one were to think that it would have more to do with the coaching change than Riley's ineptness, IMO.
Some good points. I was excited about the recruiting with Riley at first. The Davis brothers underachieved in my opinion. Much more excited for the guys we have now. I believe Ty Robinson and the polar bear will be better than those two. Hell I’d take Jared Crick or Malik Collins over those two. Jaimes wasn’t highly rated but had a decent career here. I feel like Bernhardt, Cocoran, Jurgens, and the Elkhorn kid are all better prospects than any offensive linemen from the Riley or Pelini days. Now that’s still unproven and I may be wrong. I’m definitely in a wait and see mode but I’m optimistic about this season. If they don’t make a bowl game I will be wanting a coaching change. This season is the make or break season in my opinion.

Not that it matters, but was it Riley who brought in the Davis twins or were those Bo recruits?

In this upcoming season HCSF has no more excuses and can no longer blame the past. I personally believed he was the person to turn it around at NU and now I have serious concerns. It is frustrating to watch coaches like Fleck turn Minny around while HCSF can't seem to do it at NU with more resources.

I've said many times that HCSF should be given this year and one more regardless of outcome in order to give just a little more stability. With that said, those years should produce a minimum of 16 wins or NU should be hiring another HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back