• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Improvement 2018 vs 2019

I = improved R = regressed S = same NS = not sure

QB - Adrian Martinez R
RB - Mo Washington S
WR - Jaron Woodyard S
WR - Mike Williams S
WR - JD Spielman S
TE - Jack Stoll S
TE - Austin Allen S
TE - Kurt Rafdal S
LT - Brendan Jaimes R
RG - Boe Wilson R
RT - Matt Farniok S

DE - Khalil Davis S
DE - Carlos Davis S
DE - Ben Stille I
DE - Deontre Thomas I
NG - Damion Daniels NS
ILB - Mo Barry S
ILB - Collin Miller I
ILB - Will Honas I
OLB - Alex Davis S
OLB - Tyrin Ferguson R
OLB - Caleb Tannor S
OLB/Nickel - JoJo Domann I
CB - Dicaprio Bootle S
CB - Lamar Jackson I
S - Marquel Dismuke I
CB/S - Cam Taylor-Britt I
[/QUOTE]
changed to my ratings.

Considering our offense can't stay on the field...….the defense has made huge strides. I actually thought the defense would be a strength this year partially based on some familiarity and the offense being productive. These three and outs are making it tough on this defense. That probably helps explain the Minnesota and Ohio State games.
I think the depth has improved, but less sure about the individual players on the D line.

Agree, when you think about it, Frost and Chinander have both already came to the concession that our defense is going to have to play a lot of snaps (even when our offense is good) and a lot of points happen and time of possession will rarely favor us. But when you combine that with an offense scoring 9 ppg the last 3 games, it's not awesome.
we are the college version of the Bears......"no matter how good the D is, they need rest or they will give up points." - Rodney Harrison

I'm not sure that matters as much as us during spring ball:

1) We basically sat out Martinez because:
2) RBs were Mazour and Belt since Washington was in legal trouble and Mills wasn't here
3) Spielman, Warner, and Robinson were all hurt
4) Starting LG and starting center not finalized until week before first game

We basically got zero spring, zero summer, and 5 practices of fall camp as an offensive unit. That explains a lot of the offensive woes if you ask me.
It seems like this program has been snake bit ever since the Akron game got called off. We have had so many fluky incidents happen that no one could have predicted that have kept us from being where we want to be.

Sooner or later we should get some good luck, right? I guess good teams make their own luck. It's just such a struggle when you're trying to rebuild from ground up. Just when you think we're "there", some other crazy unexpected event happens and sets us back.

One simple way to look at it:

The 2018 Husker squad that played the last six games of the season would be at least a TD favorite over this years team. I don't think anyone - coaches, fans, media - saw that coming.

Last edited:
I expect a few CO type games in the near future. This is a young staff, we're going to make mistakes that cost us games like CO. Games we should win or were winning and then WTH.

Minny though is unacceptable. It's not losing that's frustrating (well, it is, but again I can handle a loss) it's getting blown out by an average team. They should be running that tape everyday everywhere anyone in the program can see it. "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE AREN'T READY" scrolling across the screen. Let everyone see the disaster over and over again.

Sometimes I feel like some guys on O are trying to be perfect instead of just reacting. Putting too much pressure on themselves to not make a mistake (and then making a mistake). It's not hard to get in your own head after awhile.

I am still unsure that Martinez has regressed so much as the rest has and put him in a poor position. Losing Ozigbo and Morgan mattered a lot, and the offensive line has been meh at best. My guess is he'll be back in form as soon as we have the players in position to spread the field out more.

For as much flack as Chinander gets.... I think our defense looks a lot better. Tough to say with what happened against Ohio State and Minnesota, but I think we look improved in a lot of areas.
I would argue it's the competition. Two teams that can run the ball boat raced us. Colorado manhandled us in the second half and did pretty much anything they wanted through the air. Northwestern is a shell of what they were offensively last year. We did play a bit better against Illinois than we did last year. I have a sick feeling our D is going to be really exposed much like we were against OSU and Minney in the coming weeks.

I'm way late to the thread, but overall the team has improved. I see significant gains in the defense compared to 2018.

However, arguably the two most important areas - QB and OL - have regressed noticeably.

The Patriots can have a lights-out defense and great ball handlers, but if Tom Brady starts chucking up rocks and the OL leaks like a sieve, people are gonna complain. Same thing here. Martinez and the OL need to get this thing figured out as Martinez is the face of the team. If he's running madcap in the backfield trying to dodge everybody and the waterboy, he's not gonna be completing a ton of passes.

If we need Martinez to make better scramble-passes than pocket-passes, we have the wrong Martinez. Someone call Taylor.

I would argue it's the competition. Two teams that can run the ball boat raced us. Colorado manhandled us in the second half and did pretty much anything they wanted through the air. Northwestern is a shell of what they were offensively last year. We did play a bit better against Illinois than we did last year. I have a sick feeling our D is going to be really exposed much like we were against OSU and Minney in the coming weeks.

And were shut down (not a fluke) in the first half. Glass half empty vs glass half full.

I'm not sure that matters as much as us during spring ball:

1) We basically sat out Martinez because:
2) RBs were Mazour and Belt since Washington was in legal trouble and Mills wasn't here
3) Spielman, Warner, and Robinson were all hurt
4) Starting LG and starting center not finalized until week before first game

We basically got zero spring, zero summer, and 5 practices of fall camp as an offensive unit. That explains a lot of the offensive woes if you ask me.
Speaking of hurt guys, this seems to be a frequent and long trend. Any idea as to why, S&C? I know some guys like Robinson may have been over used, but still seems like an awful lot of injuries for the team.

For as much flack as Chinander gets.... I think our defense looks a lot better. Tough to say with what happened against Ohio State and Minnesota, but I think we look improved in a lot of areas.
I mean is it really? Ohio State went up and down the field with little resistance. Minnesota ran for 300+ yards. Haven’t really played anyone else that really any good at all. I think it’s hard to tell if they’ve improved or not.

I see what Baylor is doing, what Iowa State is doing. Baylor was one step from the death penalty and he has them playing well in year 3. What Campbell has done at Iowa State is really amazing. He has them believing they will win and they are. Lost 2 games by a total of 3 points. Kinda frustrating. Maybe NU will play with their hair on Fire the rest of the year. Certainly didn’t expect this. I’m sure most of us didn’t.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back