• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Improvement 2018 vs 2019

I mean is it really? Ohio State went up and
I mean is it really? Ohio State went up and down the field with little resistance. Minnesota ran for 300+ yards.

CU, IIRC, made it look like a practice against their scout team for a good part of that game as well. And CU ain't that great either.

I mean is it really? Ohio State went up and down the field with little resistance. Minnesota ran for 300+ yards. Haven’t really played anyone else that really any good at all. I think it’s hard to tell if they’ve improved or not.

I see what Baylor is doing, what Iowa State is doing. Baylor was one step from the death penalty and he has them playing well in year 3. What Campbell has done at Iowa State is really amazing. He has them believing they will win and they are. Lost 2 games by a total of 3 points. Kinda frustrating. Maybe NU will play with their hair on Fire the rest of the year. Certainly didn’t expect this. I’m sure most of us didn’t.

Matt Campbell is a great coach, I love the way he coaches. He would have been my second choice if SF turned down the job. But, with that said he is 24-21 at lSU over 3 and a half years and 16-15 in conference play. That would not be except-able at Nebraska. They still have to play OU, OSU and Texas. I think they lose at least 2 more games.

Baylor is 7-0 so far this year, but are only 15-17 over all under Matt Rhule. They still have to play Texas, OU and TCU. This is his 3rd year.

No one wants to give anyone any time. You didn't notice what Matt Rhule was doing at Baylor when they were 1-11 in 2017 or 7-6 last year. Nebraska fans want instant gratification. No one noticed James Franklin getting his arse kicked at PSU his first 2 years there. No one noticed Barry Alvarez not really getting good till his 4th year or Kirk Ferentz taking 4 years to get Iowa back to respectable.

Sometimes you have to build something.

Matt Campbell is a great coach, I love the way he coaches. He would have been my second choice if SF turned down the job. But, with that said he is 24-21 at lSU over 3 and a half years and 16-15 in conference play. That would not be except-able at Nebraska. They still have to play OU, OSU and Texas. I think they lose at least 2 more games.

Baylor is 7-0 so far this year, but are only 15-17 over all under Matt Rhule. They still have to play Texas, OU and TCU. This is his 3rd year.

No one wants to give anyone any time. You didn't notice what Matt Rhule was doing at Baylor when they were 1-11 in 2017 or 7-6 last year. Nebraska fans want instant gratification. No one noticed James Franklin getting his arse kicked at PSU his first 2 years there. No one noticed Barry Alvarez not really getting good till his 4th year or Kirk Ferentz taking 4 years to get Iowa back to respectable.

Sometimes you have to build something.
Matt Campbell took over a 2* roster. Went 3-9 in year one. Since then 8-5, 8-5, and 5-2 so far this year. 2 time Big 12 coach of the year.
Matt Rhule took over a team with a terribly depleted roster and one step from the death penalty. Went 1-11 in year one. Since then it’s pointed due North. Also did a helluva job at Temple. Iowa State could easily be 7-0. So yeah, I have noticed.
Also, never said Frost wasn’t going to get NU going either. I’m a fan of his. I like him. If we’re honest here, there probably isn’t one person who thought this team was going to be this bad, so far. I’m still hopeful the season gets going and heading north. Point is, people make constant excuses about Nebraska. Other programs were way worse dumpster fires.
All the examples you gave were awful comparisons comparatively speaking. Penn State, and Baylor, were coming off horrific, unthinkable crimes. Iowa State was terrible. Wisconsin was nothing when Alvarez got there. Find something else to compare. Those don’t hold water.

Last edited:
I mean is it really? Ohio State went up and down the field with little resistance. Minnesota ran for 300+ yards. Haven’t really played anyone else that really any good at all. I think it’s hard to tell if they’ve improved or not.

I see what Baylor is doing, what Iowa State is doing. Baylor was one step from the death penalty and he has them playing well in year 3. What Campbell has done at Iowa State is really amazing. He has them believing they will win and they are. Lost 2 games by a total of 3 points. Kinda frustrating. Maybe NU will play with their hair on Fire the rest of the year. Certainly didn’t expect this. I’m sure most of us didn’t.

Every team and every year is different so it doesn't make sense to compare.

Every team and every year is different so it doesn't make sense to compare.

I think it's fair to compare results over a period of time, like when Frost is in his fourth year here. When we're comparing a Nebraska team with better talent on paper, more resources, a better fan base and more money and still seeing less in the way of results, it'll be fair to be negative. Right?

I think it's fair to compare results over a period of time, like when Frost is in his fourth year here. When we're comparing a Nebraska team with better talent on paper, more resources, a better fan base and more money and still seeing less in the way of results, it'll be fair to be negative. Right?

It depends on want were comparing it to. And criticisms are fine, it's the constant negativity that bugs me. Frost is our guy

It depends on want were comparing it to. And criticisms are fine, it's the constant negativity that bugs me. Frost is our guy

Well the Campbell comparison is at minimum fair. Similar geographic constraints, minus the historical greatness and he's having success. I'm not saying Frost gets a failing grade if NU doesn't finish 8-5 this year, but by year four this needs to be a team I'd feel confident could beat an Iowa State type of squad. I get it on the negativity, but the staff does deserve some criticism. I have no doubt he's our guy. If he's not, we're never going to stop talking about how good Nebraska used to be.

Through thick and thin, our fans have stuck with this team and here we are again on the precipice. Do the players put that much emphisys in playing before a packed house?

I do not believe fans are calling for Scott's head right now, they would just like to be included in the process of getting better. Sorta like knowing whose hurt and who is playing, it our money at the gate after all.

If we go 2 and 3 in the coming games, life will be better. If we miss a bowl, its going to warm up around here irregardless how close the games are or are not..

Through thick and thin, our fans have stuck with this team and here we are again on the precipice. Do the players put that much emphisys in playing before a packed house?

I do not believe fans are calling for Scott's head right now, they would just like to be included in the process of getting better. Sorta like knowing whose hurt and who is playing, it our money at the gate after all.

If we go 2 and 3 in the coming games, life will be better. If we miss a bowl, its going to warm up around here irregardless how close the games are or are not..

Other than a couple who either don't really like Nebraska or didn't like Frost, I don't think anyone is close to asking for his removal. Like you mentioned, we're still supporting the team in the stadium and elsewhere. Fan support hasn't wavered, but people are getting antsy. I don't blame them and as long as the criticism is fair and warranted, I don't have a problem with it.

Also agree on the bowl game being a goal this team can't miss on this year.

Two more wins.

Speaking of hurt guys, this seems to be a frequent and long trend. Any idea as to why, S&C? I know some guys like Robinson may have been over used, but still seems like an awful lot of injuries for the team.
Ugh... we can go to private messages if you want. Not going to go there publicly anymore. S&C has a lot to do with it in my opinion (check the shoulder injuries) but tough to be mad at the Robinson injury when our 5'7" true freshman becomes the only guy that will run between the tackles for us. Or Mo Washington who barely lifts anyway.

I think it's fair to ask if we are really improving defensively. I think we are. I see improvement at DL and DB, but completely get your point that we haven't really played anyone. All I know is our scoring defense is better this year currently, and our scoring offense is worse than defense in the rankings. Stats in a vacuum I know, but I do think guys have shown improvement. I don't think I can say that about anyone on offense.

You are about spot on to what i'm thinking. Entire secondary. DL most likely has improved. Not really a single guy on offense. A LB or two, certainly Tannor.

What i'm trying to get at is... why is Fisher such a good coach that he didn't need guys for "his system" where he could make Domann, Dismuke, Bootle, and Jackson better without waiting for his recruits? I'll admit, Fisher was a guy I wasn't sure how he'd resonate here, not active on social media and a different personality. But I don't think anyone could argue the results he's getting on the field. On the flip side, why can't our coaches make our two tackles that had/have over 20 starts each better? What happened with Martinez? Why can a WR not step up or more importantly why can't a WR where it's the easiest position to step on the field and play right away emerge from our 2018 or 2019 recruiting class?

And to add to that, while Held appears to be recruiting well I have not seen the RB's making significant improvement. MO and WR are real high in regards to talent but development of RB's I am not so sure is happening.

C

AM is not the answer and it is not something that can be fixed this year. Scott needs to cast the die and play with dice he is dealt with. Oline is not a big problem as much as the technique or lack of and unthinkable total rookie center that can not snap correctly. Someone allowed the line to have poor technique. HCSF needed to get back to basic earlier and not wait for the dam to break. Call it compliancy and poor leadership. You can not accept poor effort of a lack of technique. Have them play hard if they do not have the ability. I am not saying firing anyone right now but there is cancer in the program. Mo Washington was a huge distraction and maybe that was it. I do not know but until that is rooted out of the program nothing will change.

AM is not the answer and it is not something that can be fixed this year. Scott needs to cast the die and play with dice he is dealt with. Oline is not a big problem as much as the technique or lack of and unthinkable total rookie center that can not snap correctly. Someone allowed the line to have poor technique. HCSF needed to get back to basic earlier and not wait for the dam to break. Call it compliancy and poor leadership. You can not accept poor effort of a lack of technique. Have them play hard if they do not have the ability. I am not saying firing anyone right now but there is cancer in the program. Mo Washington was a huge distraction and maybe that was it. I do not know but until that is rooted out of the program nothing will change.

What is your basis for AM not being the answer?

Matt Campbell took over a 2* roster. Went 3-9 in year one. Since then 8-5, 8-5, and 5-2 so far this year. 2 time Big 12 coach of the year.
Matt Rhule took over a team with a terribly depleted roster and one step from the death penalty. Went 1-11 in year one. Since then it’s pointed due North. Also did a helluva job at Temple. Iowa State could easily be 7-0. So yeah, I have noticed.
Also, never said Frost wasn’t going to get NU going either. I’m a fan of his. I like him. If we’re honest here, there probably isn’t one person who thought this team was going to be this bad, so far. I’m still hopeful the season gets going and heading north. Point is, people make constant excuses about Nebraska. Other programs were way worse dumpster fires.
All the examples you gave were awful comparisons comparatively speaking. Penn State, and Baylor, were coming off horrific, unthinkable crimes. Iowa State was terrible. Wisconsin was nothing when Alvarez got there. Find something else to compare. Those don’t hold water.

Unfortunately, you could substitute NU for Wisconsin and SF for Alvarez in that sentence and be pretty accurate.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back