• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Immediate QB help

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18229871/alabama-qb-david-cornwell-transfer

David spent some time in Nebraska before moving to Oklahoma in high school. I had an opportunity to work with him for a season. Good player, very smart. Could be an opportunity for the Huskers to pluck a very highly touted grad transfer with TWO years of eligibility remaining. Pass on him if the staff feels great about Tanner Lee and Patrick O'Brien, but if there are questions with those two... worth a shot?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18229871/alabama-qb-david-cornwell-transfer

David spent some time in Nebraska before moving to Oklahoma in high school. I had an opportunity to work with him for a season. Good player, very smart. Could be an opportunity for the Huskers to pluck a very highly touted grad transfer with TWO years of eligibility remaining. Pass on him if the staff feels great about Tanner Lee and Patrick O'Brien, but if there are questions with those two... worth a shot?
Maybe, but ZERO experience will work against him. I'd pass on him with only 2 years eligibility and no playing experience.

Last edited:
Not against it to add depth at the position. On the other hand, with Gebbia coming in that solidifies it significantly. Even though he's a frosh that's 3 prostyle QB's in the system and 2 with time in the system.

It'll be interesting if we ever get another pro-style QB into the NFL after Ferragamo. Would love to show that Nebraska is good for something other than just linemen and the occasional RB.

What high school did he attend in Nebraska?

I could maybe see them take a grad transfer or a JUCO with a couple years left but with immediate availability for depth. But with Lee here for 2 more years, POB with full eligibility and Gebbia coming right in . . . I can't see them adding another guy like this just to sit for a year.

I could maybe see them take a grad transfer or a JUCO with a couple years left but with immediate availability for depth. But with Lee here for 2 more years, POB with full eligibility and Gebbia coming right in . . . I can't see them adding another guy like this just to sit for a year.

Agree on all.

You can never have too many good players. The past eight years, we have been handcuffed with the use of only one QB, both of whom have had injury issues, with little at the back up position. Don't know if the kid can play or not. If Alabama took him on, must have some tangible talent. Surely, Coach Riley knows about him.

If we truly expect to redshirt Gebbia next year, we will only have 2 QB's available. After this year, that thought scares me. Having another QB, who is eligible and has the tools (who, unlike our back up QB's, actually practiced against an annual stellar defense) is like a good insurance policy. But that is JMO.

The flip question is would he want to come to Nebraska. He is transferring because he won't play at Alabama. Seems like he will be looking for a place where he can come in and play immediately. Joining the battle with Lee and POB seems unlikely. I bet he can find a school who really needs a QB.

I will say this again... Nebraska is headed down the wrong path offensively if we are not going to incorporate the QB run with an athletic QB.. outside of Michigan, USC and currently Washington (for an immediate example)..... nobody runs a strictly pro-style offense with a national title level success... Heck even Alabama went dual threat this year... LSU fired their coach because his pro-style run heavy offense could not produce enough points... (look back at that Alabama game where their D played astoudning)

Nebraska will not and can not get the type of athletes in here (like Michigan, USC and Alabama) that will run a pro style and compete for a national title unless we have a top defense in the country... That is not a defeatest attitidue... it is just a fact.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back