• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

IMHO we still have a chance

Voice Of Reason

Scout Team
10 Year Member
To salvage next year and right the ship. As some have pointed out it is not likely to happen and would take a miracle. I can’t argue with that and don’t intend too. But I would like to point out that miracles do happen and it is not impossible.

If, and I know it’s a big if, Scott hires an experienced tough minded OC who tells him to go work with the defense and leave the offense alone, then we have a chance to get an offense that doesn’t fold up like a broken tent at the first sign of trouble. That would be worth another five wins right there.

Also if, and it’s another big if, they hire a good special teams coach who won’t let Scott interfere and demands adequate practice time for special teams then that will be worth at least another three wins.

And if they are able to fill some obvious holes with quality players from the portal or elsewhere to firm up some weak spots. That will make them a team capable of being in contention in the west division. We have plenty of ifs and ors all we need is a few more butts.

Even if the defense doesn’t win any games for us, as long as they don’t lose any for us we could have eight wins. Not likely but possible.

I know all those ifs are a long shot but hey, there is still hope. Scott may be smart enough or he may be forced to hire some competent coaches and let them do their jobs.

1638145376539.png

Last edited:

Not too certain I agree with "Frost stay out of it" mentality. I think he needs a strong OC so he can get more involved in the other areas. This may help more than we think.

To salvage next year and right the ship. As some have pointed out it is not likely to happen and would take a miracle. I can’t argue with that and don’t intend too. But I would like to point out that miracles do happen and it is not impossible.

If, and I know it’s a big if, Scott hires an experienced tough minded OC who tells him to go work with the defense and leave the offense alone, then we have a chance to get an offense that doesn’t fold up like a broken tent at the first sign of trouble. That would be worth another five wins right there.

Also if, and it’s another big if, they hire a good special teams coach who won’t let Scott interfere and demands adequate practice time for special teams then that will be worth at least another three wins.

And if they are able to fill some obvious holes with quality players from the portal or elsewhere to firm up some weak spots. That will make them a team capable of being in contention in the west division. We have plenty of ifs and ors all we need is a few more butts.

Even if the defense doesn’t win any games for us, as long as they don’t lose any for us we could have eight wins. Not likely but possible.

I know all those ifs are a long shot but hey, there is still hope. Scott may be smart enough or he may be forced to hire some competent coaches and let them do their jobs.

View attachment 73739

Some seem to have forgotten, in 2002 we had a horribly predictable offense, and a soft defense. We hadn’t recruited very well, and the talent pool was shallow. We brought in a mix of talent with new staff and went from 7-7 to 9-3. It doesn’t take a miracle, it takes talent, commitment and hard work.

View attachment 73739
Far fetched, but yes, technically there is a chance.

Pretty much need SF to stay away from everything and just collect a check. :)

As we have seen today out of Oklahoma, The next coach may be temporary even if he is a success. As big as the IF is with frost I believe trev made a good call on this. Combine the financials and I think it was an easy call. Trev now has an entire year to be doing a coaching search. The most important aspect of a coaching change is timing. If you can’t get what you want, you are stuck for 3-4 years and a big buy out. And hell maybe Scott has a come to Jesus (or Tom Osborne) moment and realizes what he actually needs….

Far fetched, but yes, technically there is a chance.

Pretty much need SF to stay away from everything and just collect a check. :)
This brings us back to what is SF good at?

OC nope.
ST nope
Defense good news is he stayed out of it
Player development hell no
Recruiting nope as he completely misjudged needs at rb, wr and qb

his chance of being successful next year is approximately zero

One could make the argument that STs have cost us more games than the offense has. If Frost had prioritized this area (or at least somewhat focused on it) he probably wouldn't be in the situation that he currently finds himself in......

This brings us back to what is SF good at?

OC nope.
ST nope
Defense good news is he stayed out of it
Player development hell no
Recruiting nope as he completely misjudged needs at rb, wr and qb

his chance of being successful next year is approximately zero
Just be the front man and do nothing else.

I don’t care, just as long as we win.

He can even take all the credit (undeservingly), I don’t care as long as we win.

We have no chance with frost in charge, until we cut this guy loose we will keep getting what we have been getting or worse. What’s next a public scandal, not sure why we still are talking about Scott leading us out of the basement. Ain’t happening

Will Scott's personality allow him to hire someone who will say "stay out of this, leave the offense alone"?

Same with ST's?

I hope so.
I hope so too.

But that leaves us with a weird dynamic: our best chance for success is to diminish Scott Frost's involvement with the program as much as possible. If that's the case it makes more sense just to fire the guy who isn't competent at anything that his job requires.

Yeah I know -- water under the bridge, one more year, etc.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back