• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I'm taking a look at our starters.....and smiling?

Good: Returning a ton of experience on defense.
Not as good: Returning very little experience at RB and WR, from an offense that was among the worst ever in 2020. Will less experience make us better?
Who knows: Will there be a coaching commitment to special teams?

If the offense and/or special teams are not significantly improved from this past season, our team will not be significantly improved either. The defense alone is not going to carry us to a winning record. We also aren't likely to be able to count on Wisconsin opting out of playing us and Minnesota playing minus 34 players. Covid was much more kind to Nebraska than it was to much of the Big Ten this past season -- we actually had an advantage with no significant disruptions to practice time and starters playing.

Last edited:
I get the optimism and it is logical.

However all of our O-line returned last year and how did that turn out?

Historically, it isn’t a talent issue. We have the best recruiting in the west year in and year out. I wouldn’t expect more than 3 or 4 wins next year, unless changes are coming that we have yet to know anything about.

I look at what I think our starting defensive lineup will look like and I smile. It seems to me that this veteran lineup should be able to win more games than it loses.

DE – Robinson

NG – Daniels

DE – Stille (he'll be back)

OLB – Reimer (speed to play outside?)

MLB – Honas

MLB – Kolarevic (didn’t transfer here to sit on the bench)

OLB – Domann

CB – Taylor-Britt

CB – Joseph (didn’t transfer here to sit on the bench)

S – Dismuke

S – Williams

But then I look at what I think our starting offensive lineup will look like…..

QB – Martinez

RB – Stepp (USC’s best running back?)

TE – Allen

TE – Fidone

WR – Toure’ (didn’t transfer here to sit on the bench)

WR – Betts

LT – Corcoran

LG – Piper

C – Jurgens

RG – Nouilli (didn’t transfer here to sit on the bench)

RT – Benhart

….and I still smile because I think this veteran group should be able to win more games than it loses too!

I also feel that Special Teams can’t stay as bad as they’ve been.

Am I just drinking Kool Aide?
I like Kool Aid! I think the inclusion of transfers to fill the gaps at our biggest question mark positions gives me pause. Darrion Daniels is the only one I can recall that has done that for us in several years.

I look at that and see few weak spots, especially on Defense. But they were servicable and decent this last year. I think it would be a big jump to say "We have a good defense. A good B1G defense this year." Hoping so.

Offense ended better than they started, so here is to hoping! Pass me a glass!!!!

Stepp is no longer eligible. The NCAA "indefinitely" postponed voting on the one free transfer rule that was expected to pass this month. They're going to wait to vote until after the Supreme Court rules on that amateurism case. I seriously doubt that the rule passes in time for the 2021 football season.

Farmer back healthy on D as well. D should be solid enough to win/keep us in games. An edge rusher would make me feel MUCH better. Gotta get some TO's. If we could even be average on ST's and even on TO's, I think we win 2-3 more games on this alone....Still concerned about the O...I'd like more power (counters/traps/dives) and use 12-13 as our base until the WR's can get up to speed. More vertical game (running and passing) and less sideline to sideline....

The defense was good enough to win all but 1 game played last year. I think everyone should be happy that a good chunk of them are coming back. If the offense can pull their heads out of their rears, things should be better.

That schedule though.....

The only downside with all these returning starters on defense, IMHO, is that it will prevent young guys from getting experience. 2022 could be a rebuilding year on defense.

I look at what I think our starting defensive lineup will look like and I smile. It seems to me that this veteran lineup should be able to win more games than it loses.

DE – Robinson

NG – Daniels

DE – Stille (he'll be back)

OLB – Reimer (speed to play outside?)

MLB – Honas

MLB – Kolarevic (didn’t transfer here to sit on the bench)

OLB – Domann

CB – Taylor-Britt

CB – Joseph (didn’t transfer here to sit on the bench)

S – Dismuke

S – Williams

But then I look at what I think our starting offensive lineup will look like…..

QB – Martinez

RB – Stepp (USC’s best running back?)

TE – Allen

TE – Fidone

WR – Toure’ (didn’t transfer here to sit on the bench)

WR – Betts

LT – Corcoran

LG – Piper

C – Jurgens

RG – Nouilli (didn’t transfer here to sit on the bench)

RT – Benhart

….and I still smile because I think this veteran group should be able to win more games than it loses too!

I also feel that Special Teams can’t stay as bad as they’ve been.

Am I just drinking Kool Aide?
Kool Aide was good-from a person who lived in Hastings-the origin or Kool-Aide-but after moving to Iowa I became a traitor and fancied Funny Face (who could resist Rootin-Tootin Raspberry).
As far as optimism-I share it. The debbie downers don't think AM has a chance-I saw a marked improvement in the bubble screens, where he actually led the WR and the other wideouts actually blocked.
I saw a defense that as the year went on, was more then a serviceable BIG unit.
I saw an OL finally go with the young horses recruited for this type of offense and see the growing pains.
I saw a team NOT quit down the stretch-what I consider good culture.
I saw a nice recruiting class and possible for an even greater one down the homestretch.
I saw a HC in last game realize what was working and rode that to a W.

Unfortunately-what I didn't see was Special team organization
Down the field accuracy by QB
Fumbles by a running QB that still persist-but maybe with the OL opening holes for a young RB room he won't have to tote the pigskin as much.

anyway...I like your post.

We know what we are getting back at QB and there is no reason to smile as we have seen AM's ceiling and it is not good enough to win 7-9 games
Man I'm tired of everyone banging this drum. The young man led the B1G in completion percentage... AM is plenty good enough to win 7-9 games. He's better than Armstrong, better than T-Magic. AM is the least of NU's offensive issues.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back