• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I'm no fan of the Cubs, but

McJack

Scout Team
15 Year Member
Can't help but wonder what Ricketts is thinking. Reports are that GM Hendry will be retained. Seriously?! A dog with a note in its mouth could run a franchise better than Hendry.

The meltdown by big Z last night actually did the cubs a favor, as it will probably erase one of the many terrible deals Hendry has inked during his tenure off the cubs' books.

Cubs are my 30th favorite mlb squad, so in some sense I relish the decision, but if I were a cub fan I would be throwing molotov cocktails all over wrigleyville.

Last edited:
embarrassing. the cubs have the 6th highest payroll in baseball... and 16 games below .500. soriano and z are the 2 highest paid -- and both woefully underachieve. fukudome, dempster, pena... all overpaid. i don't even see how the cubs will improve much for at least the next 2-3 seasons.

actually, the white sox aren't much better -- but at least they've had recent success and are still in the AL Central hunt... but 2 games below .500 with the 5th highest payroll in baseball.

the soriano contract is second only to bonilla's as the worst in sports history. An 8-year deal for a left outfielder? hahahaha

Last edited:
the soriano contract is second only to bonilla's as the worst in sports history. An 8-year deal for a left outfielder? hahahaha

...who was already in his 30s when the cubs acquired him!

sub-.260 for the past three seasons.... and absolutely no speed left in him.

Last edited:

until they can get out of these horrible contracts there is not much they can do....i met mr. ricketts at a game last year, he saw my nebraska shirt and we talked for awhile...like the gut, but the previous ownership did him no favors with those awful contracts

until they can get out of these horrible contracts there is not much they can do....i met mr. ricketts at a game last year, he saw my nebraska shirt and we talked for awhile...like the gut, but the previous ownership did him no favors with those awful contracts

which is why I can't see any reason he's kept Hendry. New owner has carte blanche to clean house, Hendry should have been the first to get a pink slip. 2 seasons have now passed and ricketts has done little to change course.

Both Chicago baseball teams have idiots for GM's. I can't decide what's worse the Milton Bradley deal or the Alex Rios deal. The Zambrano deal or the Adam Dunn deal. Both of them have spent tens of millions of dollars on non-performing players. I know more about the White Sox because I follow them closely and pay little attention to the Cubs, but if you read the Tribune every day it's impossible to not see the Cub stuff.

Ken Williams has depleted the White Sox farm system of talent. the cupboard is bare. He gave up two very strong pitchers for Edwin Jackson. One year later the two he gave up (Dan Huson and David Holmberg) are tearing it up in Phoenix and in Advanced A minor league. Edwin Jackson is now pitching for the Cardinals. The White Sox have a journeyman reliever and a AAA starter to show for all the talent squandered by Williams.

The White Sox should have never traded Daniel Hudson. Period. I like Ken Williams for the most part but some of his decisions leave a sports fan scratching their head.

embarrassing. the cubs have the 6th highest payroll in baseball... and 16 games below .500. soriano and z are the 2 highest paid -- and both woefully underachieve. fukudome, dempster, pena... all overpaid. i don't even see how the cubs will improve much for at least the next 2-3 seasons.

actually, the white sox aren't much better -- but at least they've had recent success and are still in the AL Central hunt... but 2 games below .500 with the 5th highest payroll in baseball.

Yes, recent success is right about the White Sox as they were the World Series champs several years back. I agree HWM that with that kind of payroll the results should be much better then they are this season. That being said, they are still in the chase for the Central and it won't surprise me to see them win it despite their less then stellar performance to this point.

They are the CUBS they are destined to be mediocre, with an occasional run at fame, but until they have GOAT DAY at Wrigley they will never be winners...

GO BREW CREW !!!!

Hendry fired...he had a decent run, time for some new blood

agreed. i'd use the term "decent run" cautiously, he did field a good team or two, but he also buried the franchise with some very puzzling contract decisions. glad ricketts finally had the bravada to make some changes on the north side.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back