• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Illinois Practice (9/17/19) Defensive Coaches & Players

And why exactly wouldn't they want us to hear the question?
It's not like it's a conspiracy, but I think it's that the reporters don't want to bother to speak into a microphone, especially as it undermines their value added a little, and the sports info at UNL like most places probably are happy to accommodate the reporters. They all work together every day - they're like work colleagues, so why would they put them out?

Remember these are press conferences for the press, not the public, or at least that's what they were traditonally, and still are in lots of places without legions of hyper-obsessed fans like us going online to hang on every word. The press traditionally added value by dragging their butts down there and asking questions and writing a story about it. Letting the public see it on the internet is a new thing, and it hurts the press. Why read the story in the newspaper when you can just watch the coach yourself?

So why should a writer bother to let you hear his question when he wants to get you to read a story about it later?

Last edited:
It's not like it's a conspiracy, but I think it's that the reporters don't want to bother to speak into a microphone, especially as it undermines their value added a little, and the sports info at UNL like most places probably are happy to accommodate the reporters. They all work together every day - they're like work colleagues, so why would they put them out?

Remember these are press conferences for the press, not the public, or at least that's what they were traditonally, and still are in lots of places without legions of hyper-obsessed fans like us going online to hang on every word. The press traditionally added value by dragging their butts down there and asking questions and writing a story about it. Letting the public see it on the internet is a new thing, and it hurts the press. Why read the story in the newspaper when you can just watch the coach yourself?

So why should a writer bother to let you hear his question when he wants to get you to read a story about it later?
Excellent point.

100 percent, i would rather hear it from the SF mouth, than some guy/girl that cost me $ for clicks. Sorry, the ice man was pissed when we got the refrigerator! Adapt or die! Soon there will be something better than Twitter.

Makes sense. :nod:

100 percent, i would rather hear it from the SF mouth, than some guy/girl that cost me $ for clicks. Sorry, the ice man was pissed when we got the refrigerator! Adapt or die! Soon there will be something better than Twitter.
I'm not trying to turn back the clock. It's just my guess why there might be a little inertia stopping the reporters getting mic'ed up. But I agree with you the press has to adapt. My family has had to adapt to the economy and new technology. If not, I would be a farmer in Nebraska like my grandfather. Strike that, I would be a Irish/German peasant in a village and farming a plot outside of town. Strike that, I would be....not sure what before that.

On the other hand I am happy the Nebraska press corps is as big as it is. I watch replays of the press conferences AND read some of their articles. They do add some value in a handful of ways, mostly by drilling deeper than a coach is going to, interviewing players one on one, and even by asking questions I want asked. Overall there's probably 10 times the press coverage of Nebraska football that there is of Colorado football, where I live now.

And I'm guessing when recruits visit Nebraska, some of their current players might mention the great fans AND the chance if you play you might end up being interviewed by a crowd of reporters, or written about, instead of maybe 1 guy if they go to CU. To recruits it's probably all part of what make husker football look way big time.

For that reason, when the Omaha World Herald started offering a discounted sports only online subscription targeted at out of staters like me, I jumped at it. And partly why I signed up at HuskerOnline even though I hardly ever post there. (Notice how many of the interview videos posted on here are done by those guys. That's not the athletic department hiring people to film those coaches and players answering questions in the hallway.)

I'll kick a handful of bucks in the direction of those guys. If nothing else, they give the rest of us something to complain about. ;) :Biggrin:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back