• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If YSU fires Bo...

As crazy an idea that this is, and obviously we know this is never gonna happen... Bo knows what he's doing defensively and it wouldn't be a terrible pickup by any means...

I'll follow you out now DTH.

Edit: typo on "defensively"

Last edited:
Nobody I know was saying "That's what you get, meanie" when we lost to Texas. Everybody I know hated Texas at the time (I'm talking even outside of Nebraska fans) and they really wanted us to win.

The extra second the refs gave Texas was crap, but even so, we beat ourselves at the end of that game. We got a penalty for sending the kickoff out of bounds and then we got a dumb pass interference or personal foul penalty (I can't remember which). Self-inflicted wounds have cursed this team for twenty years. Bo's players in particular though were head cases. Players always take after their coaches. I think that's why Harbaugh has the same problems. The guy has never won a championship because he's a nut job and his players end up being head cases too.
Exactly.......that's what I was pointing out...........I heard no one sending hate to Pelini during that time.....because it looked like Pelini was bringing Nebraska back to the promise land. His demeanor was a non-factor to fans and media at that point.

And you are right......shooting ourselves in the foot......well, that season was hosted by one of the greatest and worst units in our history.........that defense was easily top 3 in the nation and it was accompanied by an offense that had the ability of a zombie on the Walking Dead most weeks. Scoring just one touch down in 3 of those games (VT, ISU, & Texas) that we lost and Pelini is looking at a 11-1 record going into the bowl season. In the CCG the game was ours to lose going to Texas's last possession.

Texas's Heisman candidate McCoy, had to see Nebraska's Heisman candidate Suh, for 4 quarters and it wasn't a good thing for him (rag doll toss). The last kick off the kick went out of bounds. Which was crazy because Adi Kunalic Alex Henery. Then the horse collar by Larry Asante I believe. Without those, there was no way Texas was going to get close to field goal range.

I don't agree with Pelini's players being head cases......who are you referring to? One thing the coaches did during recruiting was not only recruit talent, but character. We had many many outstanding young men join the program under Pelini. Of course not all are outstanding citizens, but what program is batting 1.000. TO had many players that can be named easily during the 90s alone that one would question their character.......Is that a reflection on TO...... It's just crazy how the double standard and over exaggeration occurs for Pelini from people who never met the man. I personally had talked with him 3 times during his time in Lincoln. He was an outstanding individual in those 3 occasions. I've never spoke to anyone who have ever met Pelini beyond a hi & bye passing that has a negative vibe to spew about him. Obviously in "game mode" Pelini has a war mentality. He doesn't want to lose. With that comes fire. Many of his player reflected that as well and when they didn't play that way, it made him furious. When refs seem to miss blatant calls they should have made, Pelini was furious. If a player continues to make the same mistake on the field that becomes costly to the production of the team, Pelini was furious.

People act like he was walking up and down the streets in Lincoln punching babies and cursing at grandmothers. The guy was passionate. Something I never saw with the guy that replaced him.

I always felt like Pelini was one great quarterback from winning a BCS bowl. We had a couple above average to good quarterbacks during his time, but great......we just couldn't that one.........

Not happening. Struggling head coaches at the FCS level don’t get P5 HC jobs, especially struggling head coaches at the FCS level who act like complete a-holes most of the time.
Release your hate......You don't even know that man. You definitely don't know what he does "most of the time".

And there are many FCS coaches who have gotten jobs at P5 programs without their respective teams being elite.

A great teacher/coach is a great teacher/coach.....period.........Those who know what they are looking at on Saturdays know the value of a mind like Pelini's when it comes to football. Programs that want to win make moves to coaches who may have a few stains on their history. Mike Leach, Urban Myer, Bobby Patrino, DJ Durkin, & Jim Tressel were all involved in some NCAA violation and/or legal matter that took them from the programs they were coaching and yet today they are all involved with someone's football program somewhere in the nation......with the exception of UM but his name has already been floating around a few different job openings before the start of the season.

I don't agree with Pelini's players being head cases......who are you referring to? One thing the coaches did during recruiting was not only recruit talent, but character. We had many many outstanding young men join the program under Pelini. Of course not all are outstanding citizens, but what program is batting 1.000.

I love a ton of the players from the Pelini era. Ndamukong Suh, Rex Burkhead, and Lavonte David are among my all time favorites, just to name a few. I don't mean to make it sound like Pelini's players were bad guys in any way. I just mean they tended to crumble in big games. To the point where it seemed like they forgot how to play football. I've listed plenty of scores in this thread and we've all talked about the games for years. 408 yards is a stat I'm sure none of us will ever forget (and that was only through three quarters!). That was a Pelini defense.

The players may have liked Bo, but they sure gave up on the field on plenty of occasions. 48-17, 45-17, 70-31, 41-21, 59-24.
You call those blow outs? That was a 7 year period. Here is what I call blow outs over the last 5. 7-48, 7-34, 10-56, 14-56, 14-56, 21-54, 3-62, 10-40. I won't even count the 42-14 blow out first half of the Oregon game where we gave up 409 yards in that half before Oregon started playing scrubs the second half.

I just mean they tended to crumble in big games. To the point where it seemed like they forgot how to play football.
Well it beats watching the last 5 years where our players are crumbling in the big and the small games to the point they didn't know that they ever knew how to play football. You can hate on Pelini as much as you want but you cannot make a reasonable full picture argument of his teams being head cases or crumbling and use Callahan, Mike Riley or the early two years of Scott Frost teams as a comparison.

Exactly.......that's what I was pointing out...........I heard no one sending hate to Pelini during that time.....because it looked like Pelini was bringing Nebraska back to the promise land. His demeanor was a non-factor to fans and media at that point.

And you are right......shooting ourselves in the foot......well, that season was hosted by one of the greatest and worst units in our history.........that defense was easily top 3 in the nation and it was accompanied by an offense that had the ability of a zombie on the Walking Dead most weeks. Scoring just one touch down in 3 of those games (VT, ISU, & Texas) that we lost and Pelini is looking at a 11-1 record going into the bowl season. In the CCG the game was ours to lose going to Texas's last possession.

Texas's Heisman candidate McCoy, had to see Nebraska's Heisman candidate Suh, for 4 quarters and it wasn't a good thing for him (rag doll toss). The last kick off the kick went out of bounds. Which was crazy because Adi Kunalic Alex Henery. Then the horse collar by Larry Asante I believe. Without those, there was no way Texas was going to get close to field goal range.

I don't agree with Pelini's players being head cases......who are you referring to? One thing the coaches did during recruiting was not only recruit talent, but character. We had many many outstanding young men join the program under Pelini. Of course not all are outstanding citizens, but what program is batting 1.000. TO had many players that can be named easily during the 90s alone that one would question their character.......Is that a reflection on TO...... It's just crazy how the double standard and over exaggeration occurs for Pelini from people who never met the man. I personally had talked with him 3 times during his time in Lincoln. He was an outstanding individual in those 3 occasions. I've never spoke to anyone who have ever met Pelini beyond a hi & bye passing that has a negative vibe to spew about him. Obviously in "game mode" Pelini has a war mentality. He doesn't want to lose. With that comes fire. Many of his player reflected that as well and when they didn't play that way, it made him furious. When refs seem to miss blatant calls they should have made, Pelini was furious. If a player continues to make the same mistake on the field that becomes costly to the production of the team, Pelini was furious.

People act like he was walking up and down the streets in Lincoln punching babies and cursing at grandmothers. The guy was passionate. Something I never saw with the guy that replaced him.

I always felt like Pelini was one great quarterback from winning a BCS bowl. We had a couple above average to good quarterbacks during his time, but great......we just couldn't that one.........
This was exactly spot on. His sideline manner wasn't representative of him off the field. I met him a couple of times to and he commanded respect walking into a room because everyone knew he was a genuine guy. You think his demeaner was so bad at the officials when there was a blown call. Stop looking at him and scan the crowd. Some of their actions and the things they were saying made Bo's actions look pleasent. And these are the same fans bitching that Bo is an a$$clown.

Nobody I know was saying "That's what you get, meanie" when we lost to Texas. Everybody I know hated Texas at the time (I'm talking even outside of Nebraska fans) and they really wanted us to win.

The extra second the refs gave Texas was crap, but even so, we beat ourselves at the end of that game. We got a penalty for sending the kickoff out of bounds and then we got a dumb pass interference or personal foul penalty (I can't remember which). Self-inflicted wounds have cursed this team for twenty years. Bo's players in particular though were head cases. Players always take after their coaches. I think that's why Harbaugh has the same problems. The guy has never won a championship because he's a nut job and his players end up being head cases too.

Pelini had many problems and this is a big one. Players tend to take on their coaches persona. BP would lose complete control about something and that would be it. He couldn't let it go and it effected his performance and his teams performance. Lots of coaches get mad and yell. But, you have to at least give the appearance of moving on from it. He never could.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back