• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If you were Cap'n Kirk...no not that one.

Exactly.

His son was terrible at his job. He deserved to be canned years ago. You don't up and quit your own job simply because your son failed. And failed miserably.

And as mentioned, his son reported directly to the AD. Kirk didn't have a say here and that arrangement was in place long ago.
And it was in place for good reasons. Brian might have been qualified to be hired for the job, but this type of thing needed to be in place to avoid the potential conflict of interest if things didn't go as they hoped.

I have read the under Iowa State Nepotism statues State Employees are not allowed to work under a family member therefore Kirk could not be his " BOSS " So Junior actually worked for the AD who was Kirks Best Bud until he was fired for the Mess that the Athletics Department was in financially.
BTW Iowa has made her the permanent AD we shall see how long Kirk sticks it out Iowa will not fire him as he is owed a lot of money due to former AD Barta giving him contract extensions I have read Kirk is on contract for somewhere close to $42 milion

You know the guy one state over.

If you were Kirk Ferentz and the administration had not only ordered you to fire your son. They did not even ask. They just saved you the trouble and fired him for you. Would you stick around? Especially knowing the whole state was calling for his head.

The guy has coached at Iowa for 24 seasons. He has a 196-119 record while there. That is a 62% winning percentage. That is better in both raw numbers and Winning %. Personally even if it were deserved. I would have walked the same day they fired my son. Dude has all the money he will ever need. Why stick around?
Probably because he knew he needed fired but mom Got involved. No way Kirk could fire Brian and show up for thanksgiving.
With the structure of the program based on family ties, Brian could not direct work for Kirk (or something to thst effect). Either way, Kirk’s off the hook if he doesn’t have the authority regarding Brian, mom can’t get made at pops.

Last edited:

A crappy offense that commits no mistakes will win a lot of games.
Yes. Its not a formula you want to keep forever, but I would have been ecstatic with that formula in 2023 and into 2024 when we're riding a freshman QB. How anyone would rather be 5-7 than win ugly for a bit is beyond me.

If you were Kirk Ferentz and the administration had not only ordered you to fire your son. They did not even ask. They just saved you the trouble and fired him for you. Would you stick around? Especially knowing the whole state was calling for his head.

The guy has coached at Iowa for 24 seasons. He has a 196-119 record while there. That is a 62% winning percentage. That is better in both raw numbers and Winning %. Personally even if it were deserved. I would have walked the same day they fired my son. Dude has all the money he will ever need. Why stick around?
8di8iw.jpg

I have read the under Iowa State Nepotism statues State Employees are not allowed to work under a family member therefore Kirk could not be his " BOSS " So Junior actually worked for the AD who was Kirks Best Bud until he was fired for the Mess that the Athletics Department was in financially.
BTW Iowa has made her the permanent AD we shall see how long Kirk sticks it out Iowa will not fire him as he is owed a lot of money due to former AD Barta giving him contract extensions I have read Kirk is on contract for somewhere close to $42 milion
Yep, his buyout if $6mill per season fully guaranteed and the contract runs through Jan 2030. He’s not going anywhere anytime soon unless he retires voluntarily. I’ve got a friend who’s a state senator here and Iowa and the Iowa athletic department is on the radar of the state government because of the mess Barta made during the pandemic. I feel for Beth Goetz and the mess she’s inherited.

I don’t disagree with your thesis but I’d also argue that KF is the only reason Iowa is relevant.
Agreed. I’d love for KF to step away. They aren’t setup to recruit nationally the way we are. Getting away from their model would hurt them in my opinion.

Ego, desire to compete, control

I don’t disagree with your thesis but I’d also argue that KF is the only reason Iowa is relevant.
I actually agree with you. I think Iowa is right where NU would have been if we kept Solich or Pelini. Good, but not great. A perennial 9 win team who never wins the big ones. After the dumpster fires that we have endured for the past several years, that actually doesn't sound all bad. But I think we can, and will, do better.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back