• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If you were Cap'n Kirk...no not that one.

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
You know the guy one state over.

If you were Kirk Ferentz and the administration had not only ordered you to fire your son. They did not even ask. They just saved you the trouble and fired him for you. Would you stick around? Especially knowing the whole state was calling for his head.

The guy has coached at Iowa for 24 seasons. He has a 196-119 record while there. That is a 62% winning percentage. That is better in both raw numbers and Winning %. Personally even if it were deserved. I would have walked the same day they fired my son. Dude has all the money he will ever need. Why stick around?

Maybe Iowa isn’t all that interested in keeping Kirk either. He is maxed out. He won about 5 more games then he should have last year. He went 9-1 in games of 10 points or less. There SOS at 42nd including the Conference game and bowl. I read somewhere their regular season SOS schedule was close to 80.

I wanna beat iowa as much as anyone, but its shocking how much they've won in the last couple yrs with a below avg offense, they seem to find a way, we need that recipe.
they have their charlie mcbride right now but it wont last, if their dc retires i think ferentz will be out as well....

The scary part is that it’s possible, with the right OC hire, and a change of attitude regarding offensive philosophy by Kirk, they could have an affective offense. But they are also a team that has had the ball bounce their way an awful lot. Traditionally on the weaker side of scheduling.

If you were Kirk Ferentz and the administration had not only ordered you to fire your son. They did not even ask. They just saved you the trouble and fired him for you. Would you stick around? Especially knowing the whole state was calling for his head.

The guy has coached at Iowa for 24 seasons. He has a 196-119 record while there. That is a 62% winning percentage. That is better in both raw numbers and Winning %. Personally even if it were deserved. I would have walked the same day they fired my son. Dude has all the money he will ever need. Why stick around?

While he should have been in the conversation, if he wasn't,, it wasn't technically his decision. I believe that the reporting structure had Brian reporting to the AD rather than to Kirk because of the family relationship.

The scary part is that it’s possible, with the right OC hire, and a change of attitude regarding offensive philosophy by Kirk, they could have an affective offense. But they are also a team that has had the ball bounce their way an awful lot. Traditionally on the weaker side of scheduling.
To a certain degree, they make their own breaks with aggressive and tenacious special teams play and a defense that emphasizes creating turnovers.

He might not see it that way, it being his son. And I don’t think you could expect him to look at it objectively.
I can understand that to an extent... it would be unreasonable for me to expect him to look at a situation with a family member through the same lens that I do.

But he also has a quarter century of history at the school, so just up and quitting in a huff over his son seems equally unreasonable.

My guess is that he had some mixed feelings over it, but decided that his career as a head football coach was still important enough to keep going. There are a lot of other people that still count on him.

I'm sure he has a loyalty to his players and enjoys being at Iowa overall. I get that he is probably ticked that they fired his son, but they should have the ability to decide that so nepotism doesn't hurt the program. At his age (68), I doubt he wants to start from scratch somewhere else.

Why would he leave? Because his adult son no longer gets to work in a job he probably didn't deserve in the first place?
Exactly.

His son was terrible at his job. He deserved to be canned years ago. You don't up and quit your own job simply because your son failed. And failed miserably.

And as mentioned, his son reported directly to the AD. Kirk didn't have a say here and that arrangement was in place long ago.

He’s got $42 million reasons to stick around. Former AD And Ferentz puppet Barta hurried up and quietly extended KF when it became apparent he’d be pushed into retirement because of his financial mismanagement of the Iowa athletic department. Besides KF’s buyout the athletic department is still on the hook for roughly $47 mill of the $50 mill loan they got from the University to stay afloat after the pandemic.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back