• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If you could make ONE rule change to College Football...

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Okay, you're the Supreme Potentate of NCAA Football and can make one rule change to the game. More specifically, I'm talking about on-field rules like Pass Interference or Coach's Replay Challenges. Nothing to do with the off-field junk like paying players or realigning conference, etc.

What one rule change do you make to the game?

If you launch and hit someone above the head and shoulders you may have targeting,. If you are going to tackle and the person ducks, slips, turns etc. and you accidentally hit them in the head, 15 yds but no ejection. Or something like that. Too many things happen too quick for the defender to do something different.

Two different levels to the targeting call.

targeting 1: when a player has no ill intentions and strikes the head or neck area without trying to cause bodily harm or be malicious - 15 yard penalty

targeting 2: striking head or neck area with ill intentions or maliciously - 15 yard penalty and ejection for said player.

The current targeting rules are punishing players playing hard by ejecting them from the game, (see Clemson's linebacker in the biggest game of his life on Monday, getting ejected in the first half on a play where he was not trying to injure anyone, rather just playing football.)

targeting 1: when a player has no ill intentions and strikes the head or neck area without trying to cause bodily harm or be malicious - 15 yard penalty

targeting 2: striking head or neck area with ill intentions or maliciously - 15 yard penalty and ejection for said player.

The current targeting rules are punishing players playing hard by ejecting them from the game, (see Clemson's linebacker in the biggest game of his life on Monday, getting ejected in the first half on a play where he was not trying to injure anyone, rather just playing football.)
How do you determine intent?

I don't know if it could or should be changed; but, I hate some applications of the defenseless player rule. If you spear someone or try to take their head off, you definitely deserve to be ejected. However, in the championship game, the lineman blocks the defender back away from the play and gets a 15 yard penalty. The block was clean, it just happened to be opposite the direction of the flow of the play.

Last edited:

How do you determine intent?
I suppose I don't really know the best way to attack this. Most likely it would be a judgement call by the on-field referees and review team, similar to how it's called now. Just think there's gotta be some way to keep players safe without punishing players for playing hard.

I think the Clemson player's penalty would have been upheld as targeting 2. Clearly lowers his head as he is about to make contact. :Dighole:

I think the Clemson player's penalty would have been upheld as targeting 2. Clearly lowers his head as he is about to make contact. :Dighole:
Maybe that wasn't the best example, but still it holds true. There are plays where a player deliberately lowers their head or makes a cheap shot after the play is over, and there are guys just playing physical football. There needs to be a rule that differentiates between the two.

Targeting is no longer punished but valued. A point system is awarded for the severity of the hit with 1 point being awarded for incidental helmet to helmet and a max 3 points for a launching, blatant crown to crown collision.

Maybe that wasn't the best example, but still it holds true. There are plays where a player deliberately lowers their head or makes a cheap shot after the play is over, and there are guys just playing physical football. There needs to be a rule that differentiates between the two.

Concur.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back