• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If we don't have a new HC...

I don't understand what the comlications are. I thought that the Panthers had to pay him minus what NU pays him. The one sticking point that I can think of is NU has to hire him at market rate, so that may be a point of contention. Is there more to it than that?
He can try to negotiate with Carolina to pay him a lesser lump sum now to save them money and freeing him up to coach again without further penalty.

For example: He's due $40mil over 4 years. If NU hired him at $8 mil a year for say, 5 years, he'd only get 2 mil a year from Carolina over the first 4 years of his NU tenure and Carolina would save $32 mil while Rhule would be coaching for no monetary gain. Result: Carolina wins, Rhule loses.

If he offered to accept a buyout of say, $32 mil now, that would save Carolina $8 mil and Rhule would gain $6 mil a year (8 mil from NU minus the 2 mil per year he would give up in the negotiation) Result: Both parties win.

If Carolina doesn't want to negotiate, Rhule can do nothing and make them pony up the full amount. Carolina has to decide what's in their best interest and whether Rhule would actually not work. Result: Carolina loses, but Rhule loses years of his life and credibility for an eventual return.

Last edited:
I'm not too certain our Qbs are the issue. Our oline is high school grade at best. Fix the pipeline, and magically our QBs would look like D 1 material imo
You are absolutely correct. If you noticed that if the line gives him time he is very accurate even in the long passes. Of course fixing the oline improves the RB’s performance. So the key is ….. improve the oline you improve the offense !

He can try to negotiate with Carolina to pay him a lesser lump sum now to save them money and freeing him up to coach again without further penalty.

For example: He's due $40mil over 4 years. If NU hired him at $8 mil a year for say, 5 years, he'd only get 2 mil a year from Carolina over the first 4 years of his NU tenure and Carolina would save $32 mil while Rhule would be coaching for no monetary gain. Result: Carolina wins, Rhule loses.

If he offered to accept a buyout of say, $32 mil now, that would save Carolina $8 mil and Rhule would gain $6 mil a year (8 mil from NU minus the 2 mil per year he would give up in the negotiation) Result: Both parties win.

If Carolina doesn't want to negotiate, Rhule can do nothing and make them pony up the full amount. Carolina has to decide what's in their best interest and whether Rhule would actually not work. Result: Carolina loses, but Rhule loses years of his life and credibility for an eventual return.
Interesting scenario. I think coaches want to coach, and if Rhule comes to NU and makes $40M in 4 years, I don't think he'll care where the money comes from. In fact, the potential losses associated with not coaching should be incentive for him to take the job. His agent may convince him otherwise, though.

Interesting scenario. I think coaches want to coach, and if Rhule comes to NU and makes $40M in 4 years, I don't think he'll care where the money comes from. In fact, the potential losses associated with not coaching should be incentive for him to take the job. His agent may convince him otherwise, though.
:thumbsup:

No chance he (they) let Carolina off the hook. But yeah, Carolina know he wants to coach so they aren't going to let him off the hook either without a significant reduction in the buyout. This negotiation likely stalled talks with NU as it may take longer than this week to iron out. NU may move on. Or Rhule and Carolina may come to a agreement and Rhule is freed up to hire. We shall soon find out.

A more recent example is Bo Pelini. He took the YSU job for peanuts and stuck NU for the majority of his buyout. I'm confident he could have gotten more money from YSU or taken a different job paying more, but he had an axe to grind so why not screw NU?
That being said, I doubt Rhule is that ill-willed, but he surely isn't going to come to NU for the same money he could make sitting at home while doing an TV analyst gig while collecting from Carolina. It's a matter of principle.

:thumbsup:

No chance he (they) let Carolina off the hook. But yeah, Carolina know he wants to coach so they aren't going to let him off the hook either without a significant reduction in the buyout. This negotiation likely stalled talks with NU as it may take longer than this week to iron out. NU may move on. Or Rhule and Carolina may come to a agreement and Rhule is freed up to hire. We shall soon find out.
Would it be possible for Rhule to sign a 7 year deal for $49M, payable $1M per year for the first 4 years and $15M for the last 3 years? Nebraska would have a competitive $7M per year contract, and Rhule collects $36M from Carolina and $49M from Nebraska, which comes out to average more than $12M a year for 7 years.

Would it be possible for Rhule to sign a 7 year deal for $49M, payable $1M per year for the first 4 years and $15M for the last 3 years? Nebraska would have a competitive $7M per year contract, and Rhule collects $36M from Carolina and $49M from Nebraska, which comes out to average more than $12M a year for 7 years.
Good question. Not sure how the Carolina contract is written. Most have clauses to prevent the person from bilking the organization, but I really don't know the x's and o's of that stuff.

Good question. Not sure how the Carolina contract is written. Most have clauses to prevent the person from bilking the organization, but I really don't know the x's and o's of that stuff.
Yea, negotiating a lump reduction makes the most sense in these cases.

The way I interpret Trev's original presser after firing SF (I agreed with that decsion, by the way), is that this would be a long and thorough process with a lot of boxes to check for the candidates to be considered. There would be many names out there and much speculation, but Trev pretty was clear that a head coach would be eventually named. I do not have any inside connections, but I have to believe this will happen.

Oh. You mean it’s happening the way he said it would.

:Sarcasm:

I don't understand what the comlications are. I thought that the Panthers had to pay him minus what NU pays him. The one sticking point that I can think of is NU has to hire him at market rate, so that may be a point of contention. Is there more to it than that?
I could see trying to negotiate a buy out for 10 million.

It is absolutely essential to fix the pipeline but I believe that this issue coaching issue (and health issue) not a bodies issue.

On the other hand, football is clearly a QB dependent game now. What we have now might get us to a "winning season" with a better o-line and an OC that has a clue but not to 9-10 wins i.e. Big West contention.

CT did not do it a Texas and if you look at his decision making here both pass and run, he does not inspire me that he cannot to that level.

Logan and Purdy are not D1 QB's

Torres comes in hurt, where have we heard that before.

And our 2023 QB is a 3* from Massachusetts, maybe good but how likely to be the next Zac Taylor, Joe Ganz or Tommie Frazier? <25%.

Ask Middle Age Ball Coach: most valuable football commodity behind a great QB is a great, disruptive D-lineman.
They turn an average defense into a very good, a very good into great. See Ohio State after Chase Young left.........

GBR
Interesting observation regarding how CT looked. Just like AM, he almost always looked better than the opponents Quarterback.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back