• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If we don't have a new HC...

SemperHusker

Practice Squad
2 Year Member
If we don't have a new HC by this time next week, does it mean -
1. Our new HC is still coaching for a conference championship
2. We're still in contract negotiations
3. Trev completely struck out and MJ will be named the permanent HC before next weekend
If it's #1, that could be a good thing, although Husker Nation will be in full melt-down mode. If it's #2, things are getting dicey. If it's #3, we're likely going to be a middle of the pack team, at best, for the foreseeable future. Granted, "middle of the pack" is much better than we've been but it's still falls short of what the program is capable of. At a minimum, with the team's facilities and support, we should at least be in the conversation for conference championships. IMO, Alberts has done a superb job of keeping the lid on this search and has things under control. Don't want to dwell too much on the alternative to this, it'd be too painful.

3. Trev completely struck out and MJ will be named the permanent HC before next weekend
If it's #1, that could be a good thing, although Husker Nation will be in full melt-down mode. If it's #2, things are getting dicey. If it's #3, we're likely going to be a middle of the pack team, at best, for the foreseeable future. Granted, "middle of the pack" is much better than we've been but it's still falls short of what the program is capable of. At a minimum, with the team's facilities and support, we should at least be in the conversation for conference championships. IMO, Alberts has done a superb job of keeping the lid on this search and has things under control. Don't want to dwell too much on the alternative to this, it'd be too painful.
If we were going to hire MJ, the time to hire him has already past. Hiring him at this point will look like we struck out big time with a lot of other options (even if that isn't the case).

I would have to imagine that Trev already has his person nailed down. If we don't hear anything next week, my assumption would be that the hire is a sitting coach, who is playing for a conference title. If we are stuck in contract negotiations, chances are good that we are either trying to be too cheap, or our hire is being unreasonable.

Actually we didn't know officially until Dec 2, after UCF played their CCG.

frost announcment.jpg

Actually we didn't know officially until Dec 2, after UCF played their CCG.

View attachment 90903
HCSF lost almost half that class by year two, even though it looked good when they came on campus.

Boy, does that place us too close to the December signing date for a new HC to get a staff together and sign a reasonable 2023 class?

To win 9 games in 2023, we really need a better QB than we currently have on the roster plus at least 2 if not three Juco D-line man that we have been actively recruiting. Can not let them go elsewhere as our game against Wisconsin so clearly showed.

GBR

Last edited:
If we do not know by Monday, it will be time to worry. If we don't know a week later, it will be time to really worry. :Biggrin:

With all of these alleged targets getting extensions, it's easy to start panicking and thinking that we are about to get Callahaned by Pedey v 2.0. In truth, Trev could already have his number one locked up. Or we could get Callahaned by Pedey 2.0. Exciting times.

Last edited:

HCSF lost almost half that class by year two, even though it looked good when they came on campus.

Boy, does that place us too close to the December signing date for a new HC to get a staff together and sign a reasonable 2023 class?

To win 9 games in 2023, we really need a better QB than we currently have on the roster plus at least 2 if not three Juco D-line man that we have been actively recruiting. Can not let them go elsewhere as our game against Wisconsin so clearly showed.

GBR
Very true but imo Frost acted like he really didn't give a flying F who left? TA is sort of between a rock and hard place if our new HC is coaching and wants to keep the lid on until the regular season is over. I agree it's cutting it to close to have players signed when those players don't know who their coach would be. I suspect our new HC is going to rely heavily on the portal if he attempts to have a fast fix for next season? I'd bet getting to 9 wins next season is probably a bridge to far for our first year HC unless it's someone of such statue (like UM) that they can instantly pull in some big time talent.

To be honest I'll feel a lot better if TA does indeed have our new HC hired and he's just waiting for the season to end to make the announcement.

Last edited:
My biggest concern is the guy ADTA zeroed in on either got cold feet or received an extension/counter offer too good to turn down.

Not saying it’s Leipold but as an example he and TA might’ve had an agreement in principle but LL gets a KU extension too good to turn down and leaves ADTA standing at the altar.

DeBoer just got an extension, Kiffin has stated he’s not leaving … list of potential candidates is dwindling.

GBR
I'm not too certain our Qbs are the issue. Our oline is high school grade at best. Fix the pipeline, and magically our QBs would look like D 1 material imo

My biggest concern is the guy ADTA zeroed in on either got cold feet or received an extension/counter offer too good to turn down.

Not saying it’s Leipold but as an example he and TA might’ve had an agreement in principle but LL gets a KU extension too good to turn down and leaves ADTA standing at the altar.

DeBoer just got an extension, Kiffin has stated he’s not leaving … list of potential candidates is dwindling.
Or...It may be a situation in which TA interviewed multiple candidates, vetted all, then acting in a professional manner called up the guys he's not going to hire to let them know we're moving in a different direction. Might be the reason that Stoops, DeBoer, and Liepold all sign extension within days of one another.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back