• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If we could have stopped the run

eyesonNU

Junior Varsity
20 Year Member
If we could have stopped the run yesterday evening, we would have had a chance. The weather was cold and wet, and the Minnesota passing game would have likely been inconsistent. I'm not saying we would have won. We were weak on offense as well. We saw the usual difficulties with our offensive line, our WR becoming just decoys, and our RBs running into the piles. But if we weren't getting gashed on cutbacks, we would have hung with them.
I've read the usual columnists this morning and did not find a one that could truly explain what happened.
What went wrong with our run defense that has been so good other than in the Ohio State game? I saw our defensive linemen getting in personal matches with their opposing offensinve linemen. By the time they bothered to look or disengage the RB was past them. They continued to fight in the direction the olineman wanted them to go with no recognition of where the RB was heading. How many times did you see an Nebraska dlineman just spin around to watch the RB? I saw LBs flowing too far and just getting decleated on the cutback. I think the effort was there, but their technique was just awful. These are juniors and seniors. Why are they doing such a crappy job? What did Fleck see that our staff couldn't correct on the fly?
Can someone with more knowledge fill me in?

If we could have stopped the run yesterday evening, we would have had a chance. The weather was cold and wet, and the Minnesota passing game would have likely been inconsistent. I'm not saying we would have won. We were weak on offense as well. We saw the usual difficulties with our offensive line, our WR becoming just decoys, and our RBs running into the piles. But if we weren't getting gashed on cutbacks, we would have hung with them.
I've read the usual columnists this morning and did not find a one that could truly explain what happened.
What went wrong with our run defense that has been so good other than in the Ohio State game? I saw our defensive linemen getting in personal matches with their opposing offensinve linemen. By the time they bothered to look or disengage the RB was past them. They continued to fight in the direction the olineman wanted them to go with no recognition of where the RB was heading. How many times did you see an Nebraska dlineman just spin around to watch the RB? I saw LBs flowing too far and just getting decleated on the cutback. I think the effort was there, but their technique was just awful. These are juniors and seniors. Why are they doing such a crappy job? What did Fleck see that our staff couldn't correct on the fly?
Can someone with more knowledge fill me in?
I think any improvements in our run defense could be traced back to the quality of competition as well as smoke and mirrors.

I think any improvements in our run defense could be traced back to the quality of competition as well as smoke and mirrors.

I don't think I've seen so many guys out of position, so I don't think it's all been smoke and mirrors. Minnesota hasn't been exactly lighting it up on the ground this year, so I don't think this team is as good as NU made them look last night.

Their lineman were way bigger than anyone we faced all year. They said it all night—they were way more physical. We got manhandled all night long.

A small defense for the 3 down linemen................they play the whole (*&^#$( game!!!! Is there only 3 d linemen on the team?................NAIA and D2 substitute d linemen!!!!

I don't think I've seen so many guys out of position, so I don't think it's all been smoke and mirrors. Minnesota hasn't been exactly lighting it up on the ground this year, so I don't think this team is as good as NU made them look last night.
I agree but who have we really slowed down that would make you say, dang we have a pretty good defense?

Their lineman were way bigger than anyone we faced all year. They said it all night—they were way more physical. We got manhandled all night long.

But SDSU and Georgia Southern didn't.

Someone has to explain that to me. I'm a slow blinker.

Minny used our lateral pursuit against us. They got our guys flowing one way, the backs were patient, watched for cutback lanes, and BOOM, 15 more yards. I'm really surprised Ruud and company couldn't correct it midgame.

Sadly we were both outplayed and outcoached, it seems.

Last edited:
I agree but who have we really slowed down that would make you say, dang we have a pretty good defense?

This year for a full game? Nobody. They've shown flashes in games both this year and last that made me feel like he had a clue and we had a chance with his scheme.

Minny used our lateral pursuit against us. They got our guys flowing one way, the backs were patient, watched for cutback lanes, and BOOM, 15 more yards. I'm really surprised Ruud and company couldn't correct it midgame.

Sadly we were both outplayed and outcoached, it seems.

Don't forget the line danced with or was pushed to the spot their O line wanted them to be in and the linebackers followed right along. I think I could have averaged 8-10 yards a carry last night with the holes they had. Well, OK, I wouldn't have lost yardage.

I live in MN and watch the gophers regularly. They are not a physical team. South Dakota State gave them all they could handle defensively.

This game was more about NU not being in position and not being deciplined. Combine that with poor tackling and you see the result.

We are a weak team, but we were not outplayed physically by MN last night. It was all between the ears, starting at the very top.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back