• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If Tom hires a really really big name BB coach would you be mad?

I don't know that funding a new coach will be a problem financially, especially if he has success. I think NU can be very competitive in the $1.5-$1.75 million area with a bunch of incentives for NCAA appearances and wins. But no, I would not be mad, shocked, but not mad if TO hired a big name.

Hate to keep saying it but it's really probably a moot point. Who could command the $2.5M or whatever the number is that would make it an issue?

That would put the new guy squarely in the top 10 nationally. Groce isn't getting that kind of money...even if NU had to outbid someone for him. The only ones that could command that salary aren't coming here anyway.

I wouldn't be mad but it would reflect a commitment to upgrading the program. I haven't seen that at NU and I would still like to believe it is possible.

Let the guy have a lower base but big incentives to bring home hardware. That will fuel Bo's competitive drive and keep him here until he brings home hardware of his own.

Let the guy have a lower base but big incentives to bring home hardware. That will fuel Bo's competitive drive and keep him here until he brings home hardware of his own.

What coach worth a damn is coming to NU under that scenario? Answer: None.

Is there some component of Bo's "competitive drive" that remains, up to this point, unused?

If Bo bolted because the BB coach was making more than him, I'd say "Good Ridence!" I love bo and want him to stay, but dang. Bo came as a head coach in training and in many ways is still shaking off those training wheels. If he gets a bug in his bum over not getting payed as much as a proven winner, then whatever. Bo has brought us far enough back that we'd be fine if he left us. If he wants more money, then he needs to earn it.

Bo has a National Championship ring.....maybe you guys forgot about 2008. That's neither here nor there yet its still fact. Basketball?....really? If Bo leaves because the University wants to be competitive in another sport then I say SEE YA! Why should any school be handcuffed by a Head coach. I would love to see a high profile (clean as in no sanctions) coach come in here and succeed. THEN we could put to bed this Nebraska can't be a basketball school stuff. If we do well though, it means we have a GREAT coach and we still have the same excuse if we continue to be a bucket of suck. No I would not be mad.

Who would we get? One thing to remember is that a lot of these Mid-Major colleges are near large populations where they can pluck good kids near their homes. Norfolk St., Richmond, VCU, Butler and many more have the ability to get kids from big cities where they are located. This is the first year that Omaha is producing talent that we have all heard of and there is no guarantee these kids stay in-state. Plucking a coach that does well in talent rich areas is in no way an indication of his ability to come to Nebraska and perform at the same level.

Bo has a National Championship ring.....maybe you guys forgot about 2008. That's neither here nor there yet its still fact. Basketball?....really? If Bo leaves because the University wants to be competitive in another sport then I say SEE YA! Why should any school be handcuffed by a Head coach. I would love to see a high profile (clean as in no sanctions) coach come in here and succeed. THEN we could put to bed this Nebraska can't be a basketball school stuff. If we do well though, it means we have a GREAT coach and we still have the same excuse if we continue to be a bucket of suck. No I would not be mad.

Who would we get? One thing to remember is that a lot of these Mid-Major colleges are near large populations where they can pluck good kids near their homes. Norfolk St., Richmond, VCU, Butler and many more have the ability to get kids from big cities where they are located. This is the first year that Omaha is producing talent that we have all heard of and there is no guarantee these kids stay in-state. Plucking a coach that does well in talent rich areas is in no way an indication of his ability to come to Nebraska and perform at the same level.

All this "see ya" and "good riddance" talk...the new coach isn't going to be making more than bo so it's never gonna come up.

In some regards, landing the proper of 'home run' head coach is slightly over-rated.

If the new coach isn't able to bring over his current or is unable to get the assistants he wants (think Collier with Thad Matta), we're in a bad spot before things even get started. Hopefully the money is there for assistants and they can be sold on NU as well.

No, no, no, no! No way the basketball coach earns more than the football coach at NU Lincoln. But, we need a top notch basketball coach, and pay him what it takes! If that means Bo gets a raise, so be it! But, that's the way we need to think in order to get the basketball program up to snuff!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back