• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If Nebraska goes 7-5, which 5 games would we lose? (Only 10 possible answers, so SDSU and CMU are left out.)

If Nebraska goes 7-5 in 2020, which 5 teams would most likely beat us? (I can only list 10 choices.)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They will have a returning QB who will be a 3-year starter, plus most key components on offense and a majority of a very good defense. This year's seniors represent Luke Fickel's first recruiting class, so they have more and better depth coming up at every position.

Cincinnati will almost certainly be ranked to start the season.
Their QB had lower rating than our QB who a lot says is terrible. They both had sophomore slumps. They won’t come into Lincoln and win. They are good but not world beaters as some are making out. Our offense was better overall too against tougher competition.

Their QB had lower rating than our QB who a lot says is terrible. They both had sophomore slumps. They won’t come into Lincoln and win. They are good but not world beaters as some are making out. Our offense was better overall too against tougher competition.
I'm not saying, nor have I heard anyone else saying, that they are "world beaters," but I have seen several people disregard them simply for being Cincinnati. It feels like you're doing that, also, when you say, "They won’t come into Lincoln and win." I don't want to lose to Cincinnati or to anybody else, but it's just fake to pretend that they can't win. They can. They very much can.

I'm not saying, nor have I heard anyone else saying, that they are "world beaters," but I have seen several people disregard them simply for being Cincinnati. It feels like you're doing that, also, when you say, "They won’t come into Lincoln and win." I don't want to lose to Cincinnati or to anybody else, but it's just fake to pretend that they can't win. They can. They very much can.
You earn your win against cincy, simple as that.

I don't think we get to 7 wins, sorry. I think it will be another couple years before we start seeing anything over 6 wins. NU was so messed it, from admin on down. One thing we MUST have is stability and we MUST invest in Frost and give him time.. that said, he also needs learn on the job faster. He can not continue with this "promising" a starting role to certain players. At least that is my opinion on the whole QB situation from last year.

Last edited:

I don't think we get to 7 wins, sorry. I think it will be another couple years before we start seeing anything over 6 wins. NU was so messed it, from admin on down. One thing we MUST have is stability and we MUST invest in Frost and give him time.. that said, he also needs learn on the job faster. He can not continue with this "promising" a starting role to certain players. At least that is my opinion on the whole QB situation from last year.

I guess I don't know how anyone can say for sure they won't get to 7 wins this year or that it will take X number of years. Nebraska lost 4 games last year that were 1 possession games. All 4 games were lost in the waning moments of the game or in OT. If 1 positive play is made at the end of those games by Nebraska they win those games. That is 9 wins vs. 5 wins. That's how close it was and how close it probably will be for the foreseeable future.

So much of this season will boil down to health and the ability to utilize depth (assuming we get most of our bugs worked out). The last 5 games are going to be a challenge for about every team in college football, but for a group with unproven depth and going up against the top of the conference, it could be scary. As odd as it sounds, I'd almost prefer we beat a team or two we aren't really expected to, then lose to someone we really shouldn't. That would just suggest we are still inconsistent, but have the talent and explosiveness to start to give the top teams trouble. No one wants to lose to Rutgers, but if we swapped them for wins over an OSU, PSU or Wiscy, I might take that.

I guess I don't know how anyone can say for sure they won't get to 7 wins this year or that it will take X number of years. Nebraska lost 4 games last year that were 1 possession games. All 4 games were lost in the waning moments of the game or in OT. If 1 positive play is made at the end of those games by Nebraska they win those games. That is 9 wins vs. 5 wins. That's how close it was and how close it probably will be for the foreseeable future.

For me it is simple, I saw what we had on the field and it is barely at Northwesterns level, so that would mean we would need coaching... well, Frost is not doing his job in that respect. Not coaching up the team at all. Other teams adjust after half time, and Frost doesn't change much at all. Close doesn't matter.. "one play" goes both ways. One play for the other team could have helped push the score further apart.

The only thing that does matter is the result on the field during the game, and we were not good. That isn't going to change after one season. Not the issues we have anyway. The biggest starts with Frost. AM is not mentally the same person, for whatever reason. We saw this very same thing with T-Mart.. came in like gang busters, after that freshman year something changed and those two literally run the same way now.. They try to avoid getting hit, run straight up and down. The difference is AM isn't as good as a runner as T-Mart.

TO put his season on the line and started/played 3rd string QB, against a very good KSU team, Frost continued to play a visibly hurt player, for whatever reason.

just my opinions

Last edited:
For me it is simple, I saw what we had on the field and it is barely at Northwesterns level, so that would mean we would need coaching... well, Frost is not doing his job in that respect. Not coaching up the team at all. Other teams adjust after half time, and Frost doesn't change much at all. Close doesn't matter.. "one play" goes both ways. One play for the other team could have helped push the score further apart.

The only thing that does matter is the result on the field during the game, and we were not good. That isn't going to change after one season. Not the issues we have anyway. The biggest starts with Frost. AM is not mentally the same person, for whatever reason. We saw this very same thing with T-Mart.. came in like gang busters, after that freshman year something changed and those two literally run the same way now.. They try to avoid getting hit, run straight up and down. The difference is AM isn't as good as a runner as T-Mart.

TO put his season on the line and started/played 3rd string QB, against a very good KSU team, Frost continued to play a visibly hurt player, for whatever reason.

just my opinions

So I guess what you want or wanted was for Frost to replace Adrian Martinez with another QB. Well, he didn't play in 2 games and Nebraska lost both of them. Against Purdue neither Vedral or McCaffery was available as they were both hurt. So it was either play AM who was coming back from being hurt for 3 weeks or start the 4th string QB. Which I guess they could have done, but I think AM gave us the better chance of winning.

I am not going to sit here and say that nothing was wrong with Martinez last year. There was something wrong. I think it was a lot of little things not just being a little injured. He gained to much weight and lost some quickness. He had some sort of injury to his shoulder that was making him a little off. They wanted him to be mature and go threw his progressions it made him hesitant to run. He lost his #1 receiver and his 1000 yard rusher and had 2 senior interior linemen. The WR was never replaced and the RB didn't really get on track till about game 10. The 2 linemen were replaced with a walk on sophomore and a converted TE.

So again Martinez didn't play that like everyone expected him to play he wasn't terrible, he just wasn't great. This team needed AM to play well.

So I guess what you want or wanted was for Frost to replace Adrian Martinez with another QB. Well, he didn't play in 2 games and Nebraska lost both of them. Against Purdue neither Vedral or McCaffery was available as they were both hurt. So it was either play AM who was coming back from being hurt for 3 weeks or start the 4th string QB. Which I guess they could have done, but I think AM gave us the better chance of winning.

I am not going to sit here and say that nothing was wrong with Martinez last year. There was something wrong. I think it was a lot of little things not just being a little injured. He gained to much weight and lost some quickness. He had some sort of injury to his shoulder that was making him a little off. They wanted him to be mature and go threw his progressions it made him hesitant to run. He lost his #1 receiver and his 1000 yard rusher and had 2 senior interior linemen. The WR was never replaced and the RB didn't really get on track till about game 10. The 2 linemen were replaced with a walk on sophomore and a converted TE.

So again Martinez didn't play that like everyone expected him to play he wasn't terrible, he just wasn't great. This team needed AM to play well.

I'm not so invested in things that I will argue, but I will say it isn't as simple as looking at two games. AM was hurt through many games, when the backups were not. Playing them then would have benefitted them for future games.. Just saying it isn't as simple as two games.

Also, I never said playing the back ups was a sure win..

I'm not so invested in things that I will argue, but I will say it isn't as simple as looking at two games. AM was hurt through many games, when the backups were not. Playing them then would have benefitted them for future games.. Just saying it isn't as simple as two games.

Also, I never said playing the back ups was a sure win..

All I am trying to say is that it wasn't just simply AM playing poorly that made this team lose 7 games. It was a lot of little things. Which he was a part of.

So what games do you know specifically that he was hurt and shouldn't have been playing? No you never said the backups were a sure win, but you thought they should be playing.

I fully agree with your statement about Taylor Martinez his freshman year. He should have been shut down and not played after the Missouri game. Maybe back for the bowl game, but that is about it.

All I am trying to say is that it wasn't just simply AM playing poorly that made this team lose 7 games. It was a lot of little things. Which he was a part of.

So what games do you know specifically that he was hurt and shouldn't have been playing? No you never said the backups were a sure win, but you thought they should be playing.

I fully agree with your statement about Taylor Martinez his freshman year. He should have been shut down and not played after the Missouri game. Maybe back for the bowl game, but that is about it.

I bet the coaches will feel a lot more free to sub at that position this year than they did last year. And hopefully they also feel so confident in their QBs that they can say "Whichever QB is out there, it will be fine. OL gives us few worries, too. Now we just gotta make sure those WRs are playing at a high level, our RB room is deep with guys we can trust."

The look of the offense will be different and I sure hope we are peaking in the stretch run where I picked all of my losses to occur. If we have at least 1 fully and completely healthy QB going into the final 5 games and another mostly and servicably healthy, then I'll feel good and will hope for more than my 1-4 prediction over the final 5.

of course it wasn't just AM, like I said the talent level was maybe equal to Northwestern, plus, I said Frost was not coaching them up at all. Then, I said he isn't making many changes after half time, if at all. So, no, I never said it was all on AM. I did say he shouldn't have been playing at times, and I said it sure looked like (at least that is what I meant) Frost may have promised the starting role to AM, because he wouldn't play the backups until he had no choice.

No disrespect, but I just don't feel like going back over the previous season to prove my point.

One problem with 7-5 is it seems impossible to believe NU plays these 12 games this fall. Under best case scenario of they practice and start the season on time (without crowds,) it would mean that none of the 12 teams has the virus break out on the team — requiring a shut down.

This is whats not being clearly looked at.
Assessing team play, what were the negatives that contributed to those close losses?

If you go game by game, the definitions are there, but as a whole, they were kicking game,wr/qb production.
We know other teams are getting better, to me, the thing to evaluate is, our worst three areas, could they get better than these other teams will be?
I would throw the kicking game out there as a no brainer.
We know AM is capable of much more,and so too our wrs.

As for going backwards? Potentially the D line, but even there, it may be only a matter of experience at this point.
Every other position except possibly one DB position, we too should be improving right along with those other teams.

So, kicking game, wr and qb, we see a nice jump there, those close games become closer.

Last edited:

This is whats not being clearly looked at.
Assessing team play, what were the negatives that contributed to those close losses?

If you go game by game, the definitions are there, but as a whole, they were kicking game,wr/qb production.
We know other teams are getting better, to me, the thing to evaluate is, our worst three areas, could they get better than these other teams will be?
I would throw the kicking game out there as a no brainer.
We know AM is capable of much more,and so too our wrs.

As for going backwards? Potentially the D line, but even there, it may be only a matter of experience at this point.
Every other position except possibly one DB position, we too should be improving right along with those other teams.

So, kicking game, wr and qb, we see a nice jump there, those close games become closer.

I get what you are saying and agree with the premise as a whole, but the bolded doesn't make sense to me. Why do you assume that every other team is getting better, but Nebraska is not? I don't expect Iowa to be as good or better at the QB spot next year after losing a 3 year starter. I don't expect Wisconsin to be as good at RB after losing their 3x All American RB.

Look at how bad Northwestern took a hit last year after losing there starting QB. They had other problems for sure, but their QB play was horrendous.

I do think our WR play will be better if certain things happen. I think we upgrade in the coaching area for sure which will help a lot. If JD returns and Manning is all that he is cracked up to be we will be better for sure. I think after all this stuff JD does return. If he doesn't it gets harder, but you just have to find things that work.

Kicking will improve even if it is just average it will be better.

QB play is hard to predict. I hope his shoulder is better. I hope he takes off about 15-20lbs. I hope his confidence is back.

GET TICKETS

Back