• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If Miami, Notre Dame, etc., move to the B1G or SEC...

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
There are a handful of schools still being mentioned in realignment:
  • Notre Dame
  • Miami
  • Florida State
  • Clemson
  • Washington
  • Oregon
  • Stanford

If they all wind up in either the SEC or B1G, there will only be four seasons since WWII (Army) with a champion from outside the Power Two:
  • 1990 - Colorado & Georgia Tech
  • 1984 - BYU
  • 1976 - Pitt
  • 1959 - Syracuse

• Notre Dame
  • Miami
  • Florida State
  • Clemson
  • Washington
  • Oregon
  • Stanford

If they all wind up in either the SEC or B1G, there will only be four seasons since WWII (Army) with a champion from outside the Power Two:
  • 1984 - BYU
  • 1976 - Pitt
  • 1959 - Syracuse

Who is mentioning Miami, FSU and Clemson?

• Notre Dame
  • Miami
  • Florida State
  • Clemson
  • Washington
  • Oregon
  • Stanford

• 1984 - BYU
  • 1976 - Pitt
  • 1959 - Syracuse
Who comes up with this stuff

Even when you toss in playoff teams there isn't much of an argument that you would be leaving anyone out with only 2 power conferences.

If you throw out incremental thought on this and understand that the big money comes from the demise of others, then you can start to see the picture and how there aren't many more teams to be added.

The BIG and SEC are going to add a few more teams and stage their own playoffs. First, is the BIG TV deal. It was reported at a possible $1B/yr before USC/UCLA. Now we hear $80-$100M per team which would be $1.3-$1.6B. The way that really gets bigger is if the other conferences are relegated to second tier status and that happens by making the Power 5 the Power 2.

Those contracts get bigger when they are the only two that matter. And to be the only two that matter, they stage their own playoff estimated $1.9B or another $50M per team. Nobody is going to improve on $130-$150M per team so any additions are about product.

We are at 32 teams and there are really only four more that really matter in settling championship history. Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, and Clemson and two marginal in Oregon and Washington. You add in those teams and every champion with the exception of Washington in 1991, Colorado and Ga Tech in 1990, BYU in 1984 (does this even count), and Pit in 1976 are accounted for all the way back to 1945 when Army won it all. The only BCS game participants not included were Oregon in 2010 and 2015 and Va Tech in 1999. The only other teams to make the 4 team playoff were Oregon, Washington, and Cincinnati.

If you add in Oregon and Washington, then you are only leaving out a handful of contenders over the last 60 years. That's 38 teams, 19 in each conference with very little compelling reason to add beyond that. Probably pick up a few to get to an even number (Stanford, Oklahoma State), but its difficult to come up with value for more because there isn't a market out there big enough to increase these payouts and few strong traditions or rivals left for the teams that are in.

• Notre Dame
  • Miami
  • Florida State
  • Clemson
  • Washington
  • Oregon
  • Stanford

• 1984 - BYU
  • 1976 - Pitt
  • 1959 - Syracuse
Definitely an interesting statistic! I don't know if we will end up getting to a Power Two or not. I still think there are too many good programs and not enough spaces in the conferences to distill it down that far. I do think you'll see at least one conference fall out of the Power Five- which one I'm not sure.

Right now, surprisingly, the ACC has the most going for it to stay in the Power group of the non-B1G/SEC conferences. But, if the ACC were to lose even a couple of teams, they could find themselves on life support.

Definitely an interesting statistic! I don't know if we will end up getting to a Power Two or not. I still think there are too many good programs and not enough spaces in the conferences to distill it down that far. I do think you'll see at least one conference fall out of the Power Five- which one I'm not sure.

Right now, surprisingly, the ACC has the most going for it to stay in the Power group of the non-B1G/SEC conferences. But, if the ACC were to lose even a couple of teams, they could find themselves on life support.
Geographically, I think the Big 12 has the most to worry about. They are already losing their blue bloods to the SEC. If someone swoops in and snags Okie State, Baylor, Kansas State, or West Virginia, the Big 12 will essentially fall to a Group of 5 level.

Baylor and West Virginia I think would be good ACC fits. Solid in football, but really good in basketball. Oklahoma State would be a team that would be weird to see any other place than the Big 12, but is probably one of the top pulls left in the conference.

If I was commissioner of the ACC or PAC, I'd be attacking those Big 12 teams hard. I think the PAC and Big 12 have the most to worry about. I'd be making moves now to protect my own conference, if I were them.

Geographically, I think the Big 12 has the most to worry about. They are already losing their blue bloods to the SEC. If someone swoops in and snags Okie State, Baylor, Kansas State, or West Virginia, the Big 12 will essentially fall to a Group of 5 level.

Baylor and West Virginia I think would be good ACC fits. Solid in football, but really good in basketball. Oklahoma State would be a team that would be weird to see any other place than the Big 12, but is probably one of the top pulls left in the conference.

If I was commissioner of the ACC or PAC, I'd be attacking those Big 12 teams hard. I think the PAC and Big 12 have the most to worry about. I'd be making moves now to protect my own conference, if I were them.
Agree that the race for relevance right now is B12 vs. PAC, but unless I’m missing something, it seems like the PAC is rolling over. Sad…

Agree that the race for relevance right now is B12 vs. PAC, but unless I’m missing something, it seems like the PAC is rolling over. Sad…
PAC seemed to think they were untouchable because they had the geography of the west coast locked down. Losing USC/UCLA was something I don't think anyone realistically expected. They still have the ability to salvage the conference, but making deals takes time. They either have to poach some teams from the Big 12 or start pulling in Group of 5 schools. While there are a couple decent pick ups available in that Group of 5 level, I'm not sure it will help the overall depth of the conference.

I don’t the the SEC going outside of the South. It’s part of their culture. I think if they expand it will be ACC teams.
Agreed. There is too much of a Southern pride thing to keep them from straying north of the Mason-Dixon. Plus, they don't need to stray from the south. There are still a ton of big time programs in the south they can snag (ACC/Big 12). Picking up one or two PAC teams would be an unnecessary strain on the conference.

I am not so sure about the ACC ... FSU, Miami, Clemson and then a bunch of basketball schools.

I am not so sure about the ACC ... FSU, Miami, Clemson and then a bunch of basketball schools.
Florida State and Miami are the best, as a whole. But, would Florida push to keep them out of the SEC, as some have suggested? At the end of the day, how much of a say does Florida really get?

Clemson is really good in football right now; but if Dabo ever leaves, does the program maintain that? What else are you getting out of Clemson?

North Carolina is the other school a lot of people have mentioned for the B1G or SEC. Great basketball school. Limited success in football, recently. Duke would be a similar pull. NC State is a better football snag, but worse in basketball.

Virginia Tech would be another consideration, although they are more similar to what I was talking about with Clemson, except they've already kind of experienced that drop off.

The best case for trying to take programs from the ACC probably has more to do with killing the ACC, than strengthening the SEC. But, with the college football landscape being the way it is, that might be motivation enough. The ACC has gone unscathed through the realignment, thus far. If you are any of these conferences, the more you hurt the strength of the other conferences, the better you position yourself.

All that being said, I think the SEC is looking to add "big fish" only. That would be a FSU or Miami from the ACC. Then I'd be looking to the Big 12 and see who would be worth snagging from there. Baylor and Oklahoma State would be the two programs I'd be looking at from there.

I expect the next move will be made by the SEC. I think they will go after a couple of Pac 10 teams to counter the B1G.
Their commissioner has said they will only look at teams in contiguous states. Its possible he changes his mind, but that would rule out the P12.

If those teams don't add media rights value, then why would they be doing it?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back