• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If I were the AD this year.

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
I know thank god that is not true. Anyway a few things I would do. These recommendations are for all athletes not just football

1. Knowing that many students are doing on line only. There has got to be open housing available on campus. So designate 1-2 buildings for athletes only. Separate the teams by floor. IF people are living off campus you tell them they must move on campus for this year. If you have to move other students out you let them take over the lease for the athletes off campus housing and pay the difference out of AD budget. This creates a pseudo bubble like the NBA and NFL are doing.

2. For the training table you do as much as you can to isolate the teams from each other. So lunch for instance. Football 11 am-11:45, BBall men and women 12 - 12:45 Maybe add in other small teams thus allowing a little social distance. You get the idea.

3. Create study areas for each team so that they can be on line for all classes (Except maybe labs)

4. You also need to set up isolation rooms for anyone testing positive.

5. Players participating in any parties or events not approved by the coach automatically get a 2 game suspension.

BTW I am not under any illusion that some of thee things are not already happening. Just throwing it out for discussion until the schedule is released.

JonCarl is on target on this one. What a terrible job it will be this year.

How long will it be before there are other parents' groups formed in different BIG cities saying that the students that are paying full freight should also get quick tests every day, or something like that. He'd have to deal with that I suspect.

Or there may be a coming to Jesus moment in the next 12 months about the way we say that football players are not "different" from other students. We could have a real brouhaha about eliminating the current status of football as it now is defined at the big universities, and creating some other model in which those doing the bulk of the work -- i.e., the players -- should get more financial rewards for doing it. Who knows where that kind of stuff might lead. It won't start at NU, IMO, so maybe the NU AD won't have to wrestle with that this next year.

The other "non-revenue generating sports are going to have to be addressed in some way, and that could be a real difficult kettle of fish for anyone to resolve.

In other words, the financial side of college football could not have been more glaringly revealed than in this episode. And it is so large, that it cannot be ignored.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back