• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"If do right, no can defense."

The closest total in futility since that time was 146 yards in a 12-0 loss to Kansas State in 1968.
Interesting tidbit about that particular K-State game was that that was the impetus for Devaney to give control of the offense to Osborne after that. The Nebraska fans had gone from ecstatic that Nebraska was finally winning when Devaney took over, to disappointed to lose in a couple of NC matchups against better opponents (Arkansas and Alabama) to grumbling for change after they backslid in the late 60s, and the offense was getting worse. Devaney later said that he was in fear for his job, so he gave the offense to Osborne, who put in all sorts of special plays after the '69 season to take advantage of a certain Wingback named Johnny Rodgers, and the rest is history.

Osborne knew the type of running attack to beat the Florida juggernauts of the era (Miami, Florida, and Florida State) - and any other great of the college football world after UCLA creamed us - NU had to mirror professional football's smart field position running. Rather than double back when trapped like a Mike Rozier or Doug Dubose, Osborne wanted the runningback to duck for the smart 1-2 yards of positive. Miami loved happy feet runners that would try to reverse field on them and threw them for losses time and again. But the teams that settled for a few in a cloud of dust gave them troubles. Michigan, Florida State, and Notre Dame around that time period did exactly that with better outcomes. And logically all these great runningbacks that did well against Miami seemed to get drafted in the first couple of rounds.

Osborne had earlier switched to recruiting the speedy runners like Kieth Jones, Terry Rodgers, and Ken Clark. Speed alone just wasn't getting the desired results. This is why Osborne went towards a quicker guy to lace through little gaps like Derek Brown. The opportunities were there, the previous runningbacks just weren't that type of runner. Osborne actually had many more fullback types in the period, because those recruits were more prone to put their helmet into the holes for tough yards when nothing else was there. Kieth Jones, Terry Rodgers, and Ken Clark were going to beat you in space, but only Endzone Jones really had the tenacity to run with abandonment up the gut. And none of that trio were going to blow up linebackers one on one. Lance Lewis types had the ruggedness and smart running, however, the fullbacks did not have the speed on the edge so Osborne had to find both attributes of speed and toughness for the tailback position. Calvin Jones was so-so in that regard, but he could run the perimeter like few could. IMHO, Ahman Green was the ultimate Osborne recruit in that regard. There is no doubt in my mind, LP was our greatest tailback of the era due to carrying the team with desire. I'll always give Ahman the edge in athleticism and brains, but LP had that little something extra that carried the team when nobody else would. I know people will disagree, but Clinton Childs will be one of my best all time when it came to a game on the line. He was eclipsed by Ahman and LP, but that guy could have carried the team, too. We were just loaded with 2-3 Porsches at a time in the backfield throughout most of the 90's. Most teams prayed to have one that good.

We've squandered great runningbacks over the years like Buckhalter, that had that type of running style. We made the best of Rex Burkhead - who probably is Nebraska's smartest runner of all time - but he wasn't going to carry us to a championship. It was frustrating watching Cory Ross ride the pine when our starter kind of sucked. Cory Ross wasn't going to win championships, but he was obviously the best runningback on the team. There were a few others I cannot think of off the top of my head. Ozigbo was more along the lines of smart runner than raw brute like people attribute him with. The guy took the hard sure yards and knew his strengths. This is why getting all these itty bitty runningbacks on the roster is frustrating, And when we do we penalize Mazour for being small like them when he runs smart. The truth is our current stable of runningbacks just overall largely an unknown commodity. The only other guy besides Mazour to show any lick of smart running would be Jaylin Bradley. Maurice Washington, our best athlete, just IMO has happy feet in big games. This isn't leaving me with much confidence Nebraska is going to steamroll over anyone with the running game.

Last edited:
Osborne knew the type of running attack to beat the Florida juggernauts of the era (Miami, Florida, and Florida State) - and any other great of the college football world after UCLA creamed us - NU had to mirror professional football's smart field position running. Rather than double back when trapped like a Mike Rozier or Doug Dubose, Osborne wanted the runningback to duck for the smart 1-2 yards of positive. Miami loved happy feet runners that would try to reverse field on them and threw them for losses time and again. But the teams that settled for a few in a cloud of dust gave them troubles. Michigan, Florida State, and Notre Dame around that time period did exactly that with better outcomes. And logically all these great runningbacks that did well against Miami seemed to get drafted in the first couple of rounds.

Osborne had earlier switched to recruiting the speedy runners like Kieth Jones, Terry Rodgers, and Ken Clark. Speed alone just wasn't getting the desired results. This is why Osborne went towards a quicker guy to lace through little gaps like Derek Brown. The opportunities were there, the previous runningbacks just weren't that type of runner. Osborne actually had many more fullback types in the period, because those recruits were more prone to put their helmet into the holes for tough yards when nothing else was there. Kieth Jones, Terry Rodgers, and Ken Clark were going to beat you in space, but only Endzone Jones really had the tenacity to run with abandonment up the gut. And none of that trio were going to blow up linebackers one on one. Lance Lewis types had the ruggedness and smart running, however, the fullbacks did not have the speed on the edge so Osborne had to find both attributes of speed and toughness for the tailback position. Calvin Jones was so-so in that regard, but he could run the perimeter like few could. IMHO, Ahman Green was the ultimate Osborne recruit in that regard. There is no doubt in my mind, LP was our greatest tailback of the era due to carrying the team with desire. I'll always give Ahman the edge in athleticism and brains, but LP had that little something extra that carried the team when nobody else would. I know people will disagree, but Clinton Childs will be one of my best all time when it came to a game on the line. He was eclipsed by Ahman and LP, but that guy could have carried the team, too. We were just loaded with 2-3 Porsches at a time in the backfield throughout most of the 90's. Most teams prayed to have one that good.

We've squandered great runningbacks over the years like Buckhalter, that had that type of running style. We made the best of Rex Burkhead - who probably is Nebraska's smartest runner of all time - but he wasn't going to carry us to a championship. It was frustrating watching Cory Ross ride the pine when our starter kind of sucked. Cory Ross wasn't going to win championships, but he was obviously the best runningback on the team. There were a few others I cannot think of off the top of my head. Ozigbo was more along the lines of smart runner than raw brute like people attribute him with. The guy took the hard sure yards and knew his strengths. This is why getting all these itty bitty runningbacks on the roster is frustrating, And when we do we penalize Mazour for being small like them when he runs smart. The truth is our current stable of runningbacks just overall largely an unknown commodity. The only other guy besides Mazour to show any lick of smart running would be Jaylin Bradley. Maurice Washington, our best athlete, just IMO has happy feet in big games. This isn't leaving me with much confidence Nebraska is going to steamroll over anyone with the running game.
I mostly agree, but are you confusing Keith Jones with Ken Clark? Jones wasn't very good between the tackles, but he could fly when he got to the perimeter. Clark was a much more physical runner, but he wasn't as fast. He ran over some LBs, but he wasn't quick enough to hit the hole and gain yards against defenses like Miami's.

The Nebraska coaches have said that Washington needed to adjust to the speed of college because he was used to outrunning everyone in high school. I specifically asked about some of the plays where it looked like he was supposed to go inside on a Zone Stretch play, but he bounced it outside a lot. One of the offensive analysts said that that was often by design. When they noticed an opponent's LB had a tendency to commit too early to a hole, they instructed Washington to press the Line of Scrimmage until the OLB committed to the hole and then bounce it to the outside. In that particular scenario, he was coached to do it, but, yes, if he ever turned around and tried to reverse field, that's a great athlete who is used to that working in high school.

As for our current RBs, it seems like you're hoping for another Ahman Green or Lawrence Phillips, but there aren't a lot of those guys available, and none of them are on our roster, right now. If they can get one or two, I'm sure they will, but they have to have that kind of quickness. Instead of looking for one RB who can do everything--which might not exist--they want a stable full of RBs, each of whom can do at least a couple different things, and then they can mix and match as needed. They're short-handed this spring, but there will be plenty of depth and plenty of options this fall, especially if Washington is back and Mills is cleared to play.

Last edited:
I did end up watching both Miami-Michigan '88 and Miami-Arkansas '88. For Arkansas, it was sort of a weird game. I'm not sure that Arkansas was all that great -- they had an 80 yard Barry Foster run and a handful of 15+ yarders from Quinn Grovey that I think padded the stats a bit (and had one meaningful pass all game). The quality for the Miami Michigan game wasn't perfect, but it was good enough. It was an interesting game. Miami almost gave it away with turnovers throughout, and then Michigan couldn't do much right the last five minutes when they saw their lead crumble.

Ahman

versus Derek Brown and Calvin Jones

versus Keith Jones

I don't think there is any confusion to how I remember Keith Jones versus Ken Clark.

Ahman

versus Derek Brown and Calvin Jones

versus Keith Jones

I don't think there is any confusion to how I remember Keith Jones versus Ken Clark.

I have often stated that if Ahman stays at NE for his Senior year 1998 may have been another run at a Natty. We lost 4 games that year. 3 of those were by a touchdown or less. A&m 7, TX 4, and AZ 3. We lost to KSU by 10. So that is the 1 game he may not have been enough to make the difference.

I have often stated that if Ahman stays at NE for his Senior year 1998 may have been another run at a Natty. We lost 4 games that year. 3 of those were by a touchdown or less. A&m 7, TX 4, and AZ 3. We lost to KSU by 10. So that is the 1 game he may not have been enough to make the difference.

I think you're right.

He was such a pleasure to watch run. He was fast, powerful but it all looked effortless in the same style as Dickerson.

I'm not sure how this statement ties into the game clips that you posted? You seemed to be implying in an earlier post that Ken Clark was more a speed back ("in space") while Keith Jones was better between the tackles. If that's what you're saying, I disagree.

Watching those games I'd be extremely depressed if not for having SF as our coach now. Nebraska was so powerful and difficult to contain play after play. You can see teams being ground down to arm tackles and really giving up. Loved the HUGE shoulder pads on the running backs making them look like monsters running down hill.

Those were the days for sure but I'm confident that good times for our football program are just around the corner....... :nod:

I'm not sure how this statement ties into the game clips that you posted? You seemed to be implying in an earlier post that Ken Clark was more a speed back ("in space") while Keith Jones was better between the tackles. If that's what you're saying, I disagree.

Keith Jones was the better runningback for speed if that's what you disagree about. Keith also was fearless running inside.

Keith Jones was the better runningback for speed if that's what you disagree about.
I wasn't sure what you were saying, so there wasn't enough to disagree.

Keith also was fearless running inside.
"Fearless" is a subjective term, so I'm not sure how you're going to quantify that. Jones wasn't as effective after first contact as compared to Ken Clark. Above I paraphrased Barry Switzer who said that RBs like Keith Jones never scared him because OU had plenty of speed so he wasn't going to beat them outside, but backs like Rozier and Clark (two that he specifically named) did make him nervous because they could break tackles and go the distance both inside and outside.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back