• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

Idaho and NMSU Become FBS Independents as WAC Football Dissolves

peder

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...all-out-next-season.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

The 50-year-old WAC would be the first Division I conference to give up on football since the Southwest Conference dissolved in 1995, and it might go the way of the SWC, too, and cease to exist altogether."It doesn't mean we've given up on the idea of football for the future, but it's apparent we don't have enough members in 2013 to play football," Jeff Hurd told The Associated Press.
That means New Mexico State would have to join Idaho and play as an FBS independent next year.

There are a lot of schools right now watching BYU and Notre Dame independence very closely, seeing what kind of bowl/TV arrangements they can work out. Schools like Texas are pondering going independent, but a lack of other independent schools makes scheduling difficult. I'm curious if Idaho and NMSU will make that any easier.

SWVAHusker

Varsity
15 Year Member
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...all-out-next-season.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

There are a lot of schools right now watching BYU and Notre Dame independence very closely, seeing what kind of bowl/TV arrangements they can work out. Schools like Texas are pondering going independent, but a lack of other independent schools makes scheduling difficult. I'm curious if Idaho and NMSU will make that any easier.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Short answer, no. The only reason Notre Dame is still independent is because NBC is extraordinarily stupid and gave them an amazingly lucrative TV deal that lasts until 2015. If they're still irrelevent in 2015 (that Rick Reilly article reminded me of just how long Notre Dame has been irrelevent. I think was 12 or 13 when they last won a NC, I'm going to be 36 on September 1) there's no way NBC gives them a TV deal that's lucrative enough to keep them from joining one of whatever conferences exist in 2015.

As for Texas, it's all bluster and no substance. They could have gone independent when Nebraska and Colorado told them where they could put their Longhorn Network. They didn't do that because, while their athletic department makes more money than some third world nations entire GDP, the Longhorn Network is a disaster. Nobody outside of Texas cares about it and a large number of people IN Texas don't care about it either. ESPN's losing money on that boondoggle they got themselves into. Texas kept the Big 12 together because they needed a conference and they're still going to need a conference in 2015.

Idaho and NMSU aren't independents because they want to be independent, they're stuck because the WAC dissolved as a football conference and nobody wants Idaho and NMSU. I've read elsewhere (I think on ESPN.com) that Idaho may take a couple years of being a cupcake guarantee game opponent and use the cash they make to upgrade their facilities so they'd be among the best in the FCS and then go back to playing at the FCS level.

Last edited: