• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I will say it...

Also, why do we love the football walk-ons; but, think that basketball walk-ons can't make a difference?
Husker fans have an over-zealous relationship with football walkons as well.

Last edited:

Guys like this bring energy to the court and can lift up the energy levels with hustle plays and attitude. We'll never know if giving them a few minutes in games during our losing slump would have made a difference; but, there is a reason that a guy like Nicholas Baer at Iowa was given minutes as a walk-on freshman and eventually earned himself a scholarship. Even on senior day, Baer and McCaffrey agreed that he shouldn't be given the traditional starting spot that seniors usually get...because his energy off the bench is what is most valuable to the team.
LOL, I think this 'energy' being brought is people seeing what they want to see. Trueblood has made some great plays and his effort is great without a doubt, but he isn't pushing the starters to be better. And the fact is, the players that he is replacing are better than he is. Should he have gotten more minutes giving rest to others, probably. But that is about it.

LOL, I think this 'energy' being brought is people seeing what they want to see. Trueblood has made some great plays and his effort is great without a doubt, but he isn't pushing the starters to be better. And the fact is, the players that he is replacing are better than he is. Should he have gotten more minutes giving rest to others, probably. But that is about it.
His +/- in this tournament is absurd!

I think people are going a little overboard about Trueblood and Heiman as well. They are stepping up and filling roles well but lets not pretend that they are keys to any victories.

Agree completely. They are not the solution. The should have been more of PART of the plan through the complete season though IMO so that there was more depth and in game fresh legs.

Also, why do we love the football walk-ons; but, think that basketball walk-ons can't make a difference?

They can..... but in football you have 150 or so cards in the deck and play with more than 5 at a time. With basketball you have a 15 card deck. There is a much greater chance breaking into the impact level with FM

Last edited:
WAAAAAAY different ...

Thanks for the in depth analysis. :Confused:

It is very rare for a basketball walk-on to make much of a difference; but, there certainly is precedent and even your end of bench scholarship guys can bring that kind of lift to the team. just having a guy running around like a madman doing a couple of little hustle things can disrupt an opponent or lead to an extra basket or two...which this week has made a difference at key moments in the game. And, yes, the rest time for the starters is a valid reason for playing the less talented bench guys.

Last edited:

We should also remember that Borchardt is a former walk-on who earned a scholarship through timely play and hustle when given the opportunity. Those kinds of guys are valuable. The immeasurable intangible is how much their hustle changes the energy and focus on the starters on the floor. I think it was JPJ in a postgame interview yesterday that mentioned being more focused during the tournament than they were during the slump. Have no idea whether the increased focus is due to having the backs against the wall, the walk-ons performing well in difficult circumstances, or something entirely unrelated.

The Big 3 certainly where we've had to hang our hat the last couple of days; but, we saw the value of Borchardt (former walk on) and Trueblood definitely made some plays that turned into points (or stops). I don't think anyone would suggest that we'd be better overall with those guys in the starting lineup or getting even half the minutes of a starter; but, to suggest that they aren't contributing to the outcome of games is not giving them enough credit.

Thanks for the in depth analysis. :Confused:

It is very rare for a basketball walk-on to make much of a difference; but, there certainly is precedent and even your end of bench scholarship guys can bring that kind of lift to the team. just having a guy running around like a madman doing a couple of little hustle things can disrupt an opponent or lead to an extra basket or two...which this week has made a difference at key moments in the game. And, yes, the rest time for the starters is a valid reason for playing the less talented bench guys.
Virtually every P5 school uses walk-ons. They are important particularly for practice depth, injury insurance and team cohesion/chemistry.

If we look at the top of the B1G - none of those teams have walk-ons playing significant minutes or amassing significant stats.
There are some schools that will in essence do a 4-for-5 deal ... walk-on and we'll scholarship you in next year (kind of like Borchardt). These guys are more talented than the average walk-on.

Walk-ons bring a different attitude, they're happy to be part of the team, they'd like to play more but accept their role and minutes or lack thereof.

But if you want NU to compete for B1G championships we shouldn't be talking about walk-ons as an important ingredient to winning.

We should also remember that Borchardt is a former walk-on who earned a scholarship through timely play and hustle when given the opportunity.

As much as I like the guy, a huge reason he’s played and earned a scholarship was purely out of necessity. Right place, right time. Do we really think had we not had Jordy, Morrow and Jacobson all leave, he’d be seeing the court much?

As much as I like the guy, a huge reason he’s played and earned a scholarship was purely out of necessity. Right place, right time. Do we really think had we not had Jordy, Morrow and Jacobson all leave, he’d be seeing the court much?

Man Lars can't you and HWM give it a rest for a day and just enjoy that they have won a couple of games. I truly think you are unhappy about this. You were so sure that Miles would officially be gone right now that you can't even enjoy the moment even a little bit.

He is going to be gone OK so just enjoy the weekend.

Last edited:

Man Lars can't you and HWM give it a rest for a day and just enjoy that they have won a couple of games. I truly think you are unhappy about this. You were so sure that Miles would officially be gone right now that you can't even enjoy the moment even a little bit.

He is going to be gone OK so just enjoy the weekend.

Go chase your rainbows and unicorns if that’s your deal, don’t suggest you have a clue what I’m looking at for our program. I think it’s fantastic we have some guys who aren’t rolling over and playing dead, as that was a standard in several games this season. And if you can’t handle a little honesty regarding player evals, then just block me, and don't waste your time scolding me.

Go chase your rainbows and unicorns if that’s your deal, don’t suggest you have a clue what I’m looking at for our program. I think it’s fantastic we have some guys who aren’t rolling over and playing dead, as that was a standard in several games this season. And if you can’t handle a little honesty regarding player evals, then just block me, and don't waste your time scolding me.

No Rainbows or Unicorns just enjoying the moment. I get you are all about the body of work. Well I agree that the body of work sucks. Guess what it will suck on Monday also, so have a nice weekend.

No Rainbows or Unicorns just enjoying the moment. I get you are all about the body of work. Well I agree that the body of work sucks. Guess what it will suck on Monday also, so have a nice weekend.

Working on it, enjoy yours as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back