• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I Think Nebraska Needs to Renegotiate Bolt’s Contract….Immediately!

what is the average ticket price At Haymarket…and our Cap is what…7500??

and how many home games? Average…like 20? 25?
49016604092_4303ccf08f_b.jpg

Football, men’s basketball and vollyball are the profitable sports. We’re lucky to actually have 3, most only have two.

With that said, I think NU could be revenue neutral in baseball — especially if the BIG would due better televising games and making schools produce quality games for BTN plus.
need to add Husker ice hockey

TheBigChillattheBigHouse.JPG

O6Np0MSGbhzC57vZ0hHQ0qMZ-rNTo4MHL3jgADdab3GV4-1IXRAZPwcJXpmRmHSG7QQFxv4QVl5piUpdlRrgIqEItnaC8b7S1JU3XGYdBxvAztEu2WyZvsgclScWKD03Wg

Gophers @ Badgers (Camp Randall Stadium)
161922797.0.jpg

Buckeyes vs Badgers (neutral site)
500px-Lambeau_Field_%28Wisconsin_Badgers_vs_Ohio_State_Buckeyes%2C_February_2006%29.jpg

Last edited:

What facilities are considered “pretty good” in the BiG and what is their capacity and average attendance?

does anything in the BiG even come close to Haymarket?

this is what I have “heard”…

Indiana….OK…nothing special
Illinois…OK but artificial turf
Penn State newer field…ok but attendance is horrible
Michigan State newer field but odd design
Rutgers….well maintained but dismal capacity

And that’s all I really know or have heard anything about

you guys have any insights…been to some of those fields??

I had read a few years back that a Big10 players poll showed they preferred playing at Haymarket Park than anywhere else in the Big.

Oh yea, and give Bolt whatever it takes to secure his continued employment.

Last edited:
Maybe we can get rules changed to get another assistant coach so we can turn our volunteer coach to that??

Coach Marcuzzo has done an excellent job since day one. Our IF has been rock solid, one of the more fundamentally sound IF's we've had in a long time and positioned properly. He works with coach Bolt on an intimate basis with the IF.

What facilities are considered “pretty good” in the BiG and what is their capacity and average attendance?

does anything in the BiG even come close to Haymarket?

this is what I have “heard”…

Indiana….OK…nothing special
Illinois…OK but artificial turf
Penn State newer field…ok but attendance is horrible
Michigan State newer field but odd design
Rutgers….well maintained but dismal capacity

And that’s all I really know or have heard anything about

you guys have any insights…been to some of those fields??

In order, no joke....

1. Nebraska

2. Ohio State

3. Minnesota
4. Ioa
(All 3 turf, not that it should matter)

Nobody else in same ballpark, non pun.

@BW22SM Wow….nice to see Nebraska has such a great facility! I have never been to it living on the east coast now. Will put it on my list of parks to go to before I head off to the great beyond.

I thought I read somewhere that the NCAA would not consider an artificial turf field to host regional or super regional play.

Because of complaints from teams that do not have that.

Maybe it just was “considering” whether to not allow it…been a while.

You seem very knowledgeable about this and I’m wondering your take on artificial turf baseball fields? In my 10 years of coaching high school ball, we played on all of one artificial turf field and my kids absolutely hated It.

I thought I read somewhere that the NCAA would not consider an artificial turf field to host regional or super regional play.

Louisville has turf and they've hosted regionals and super regionals. This is one example, but there are others.

You seem very knowledgeable about this and I’m wondering your take on artificial turf baseball fields? In my 10 years of coaching high school ball, we played on all of one artificial turf field and my kids absolutely hated It.

Here in the Omaha metro area, more high school are switching to turf. Not all fields are 100% turf as some have all turf while others have infield only turf with natural grass outfield. Westside, Prep and South (Brown Park) are all turf while Bellevue West, Millard North, Skutt, & Elkhorn (legion field) are turf infield and grass outfield. One of the fields in Lincoln that is shared by multiple high schools is also turf.

Field maintenance is difficult for high school programs. Even one of the best natural playing surfaces in the Omaha metro area, Millard South, has a bumpy playing surface. It's continually getting worse. And those guys take immaculate care of their field. Over time, it just becomes very difficult to maintain without dumping hundreds of thousands of dollars in it throughout the years. Public schools don’t have the resources to keep up with it.

Personally, for high school, I'm a fan of turf. For college, at least D1 ball, I'm not. The sole reason is, most D1 programs have a dedicated field crew to take care of everything. High schools don't.

Field maintenance is difficult for high school programs.
Lordy…

you said a mouthful here…

my average day as a High School coach was 50/50…

50% coaching and 50% field maintenance responsibilities either doing it myself or supervising the team doing it (they hated that after a long practice) or supervising volunteers. And it never stopped…year round.

now we kept an immaculate field…the absolute best in our District and a source of pride.

But we paid a price doing so…some of my friends who coached refused to do it and just relied on the city…and we payed on their crap fields.

my city…in the heart of “Baseball Talent Rich” Hampton Roads gave our program $400 a year to cover EVERYTHING…. It didn’t even cover baseballs consumed…. The city only cut the grass field once a week during the season. Our program literally had to buy a large expensive, commercial grade Z-mower to keep the grass cut year round and guess who did the cutting…lol

needless to say a third area was always a big time drain….fundraising. Hated it. The possibility of shenanigans going on or misappropriation gave me nightmares.

It was the reason I finally pulled the pin. That and my family was suffering and after 25 years in the Army I vowed I would NEVER do anything that made them suffer again. My two sons came up to my level and made my team…legit… not stars..just solid players one wound up a starter..the other a utility man and I treated them far tougher than anyone else on the team.

Once they left, I stayed on a few more years but it became tougher and tougher.

all of the above…but also some of the parents were becoming more and more unreasonable. The age of the Internet and instant communication as well as their ability to “market“ their son was just becoming too much.

most parents we’re fine but there was an increasing amount of parents who thought their child the next Mickey Mantle regardless of his weaker arm and 60 time.

glad I did it…baseball was a way to reconnect to my sons after being away so much in the army.

Also glad I stopped.

Gesh…sorry…just got going and went on and on…

Best way to keep Bolt is to leave the B10 and get back where we belong.

If DVH retires and Bolt goes Piggy, my Tin Foil Hat will go off on that 8th inning.

Last edited:
Best way to keep Bolt is to leave the B10 and get back where we belong.
I understand the frustration with the BiG…

But honestly it has really not been “bad“ for us until covid happened. IMHO

And certainly has been financially lucrative for us.

Our “problems” were caused by us…not the BiG.

I mean we were the ones who fired a coach who at the time had the 4th best win percentage among all Power 5 active coaches.

But beginning with Jim Delaney‘s retirement and the covid year….the BiG has been a clown show. No question….

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back