• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I think it would be cool...

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
To have a package where we run the I. With Yant as a FB and Grant at IB. It might create a real problem for defenses. Ervin could replace either in that pa kage as well.

WHO DO YOU KEY ON? Also imagine the olay action passes you could run off of that? What LB could cover either guy?

Might work on occasion to momentarily confuse an inexperienced defense; wouldn't make it my go to formation. Who was it a few years back lined up in the old wing formation?

We've had similar packages in the playbook and have, for the most part, failed to use them since that throwback moment when we surprised tOSU and jammed it down their throats. Of course, we got cute and moved away from it before they demonstrated they could stop it, but its been there in the playbook. I think the bigger problem is that type of offense is not in Scott's DNA as a play-caller, as I'd think we would have seen it again since then. I would be surprised to see something like this from Whipple as well. Having watched several years of Whipple ball living in New England, even with bad quarterbacks, smashmouth football (i..e, I form, Power I, Single/Double wing, etc) would not be a way you'd describe his offensive philosophy.

As for who do you key on? Quite frankly, I haven't seen enough of Grant to know HOW much of a threat he is. Yant has yet to prove he can be a reliable, every down back. Fun topic, but way too many questions to know if this is even feasible or a wrinkle Scott/Whip would even employ with the current depth chart.

I've said it before, I'd be more than happy to take an old school/boring approach to offense. But I highly doubt we will see that with the guys responsible for our offense.

Last edited:

What would happen if...

It's probably because he...

DOTS-DOTS-EVERYWHERE.jpg

Last edited:

To have a package where we run the I. With Yant as a FB and Grant at IB. It might create a real problem for defenses. Ervin could replace either in that pa kage as well.

WHO DO YOU KEY ON? Also imagine the olay action passes you could run off of that? What LB could cover either guy?
Kind of reminds me of the Packers playing AJ Dillon in the same backfield as Aaron Jones. A thunder and lightning approach.

If the the D responds with a heavy defense (7 or 8 LBs and linemen) the offense then splits Jones out as a receiver.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back